• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air over hydraulic brake problem

pwerwagn

I bought an airpack kit from northern truck or something like that, was ~85$ or so.

FWIW, I took my airpack apart, cleaned it all up really good with scotch brite, honed the cylinder (you need a cylinder hone, not a brake cylinder hone), put it all back together and the brakes work fine. It only takes about 15 minutes to pull the airpack off, and about an hour or so to tear apart, hone, clean and reassemble. I used RTV where I tore gaskets.

I threw the rebuild kit and stuff behind my seat, one day when i have an hour to spare I'll put new parts in it.

jetman10

little brake, hard pedal.

I bought my truck about two years ago with no no assist . Took it apart for a kit and found one small valve stuck so thought that was the problem Didn't help . Installed an NOS from Ebay and a new M/C . Brakes still weren't that great . This week I sold it and the guy came back an hour later with not much brake . Hard pedal and no brakes . Put it in the shop and barely touched the brake driving it in . When I removed the wheels and hubs the next day the front hubs were locked .Couldn't turn them with a bar ! Cracked the bleeder and fluid squirted out and the hubs turned . So I decided to replace the wheel cylinders at the same time . Could that new air pac be bad? I've been a mech for over 50 years and have never seen this . I did find a small bulge in the hose close to the banjo fitting . ( original front hoses ). I'm going to do both wheel cylinders an go from there . Thanks .

rustystud

I bought my truck about two years ago with no no assist . Took it apart for a kit and found one small valve stuck so thought that was the problem Didn't help . Installed an NOS from Ebay and a new M/C . Brakes still weren't that great . This week I sold it and the guy came back an hour later with not much brake . Hard pedal and no brakes . Put it in the shop and barely touched the brake driving it in . When I removed the wheels and hubs the next day the front hubs were locked .Couldn't turn them with a bar ! Cracked the bleeder and fluid squirted out and the hubs turned . So I decided to replace the wheel cylinders at the same time . Could that new air pac be bad? I've been a mech for over 50 years and have never seen this . I did find a small bulge in the hose close to the banjo fitting . ( original front hoses ). I'm going to do both wheel cylinders an go from there . Thanks .
You could have brake hose failure. The inner lining is coming loose and creating a "flap' of hose which blocks the fluid from returning. You also could have a stuck air-valve in the air-pac which is not allowing the pressure side to release.
Check the brake hose for cracking and bulging. Replace if any found. If you still have the problem then it's the air-pac.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks