• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maybe a WC-12 saved from the scrapyard

sokoji

So I saw this truck when I was driving in the middle of nowhere for work, and it hadn't looked like it had been moved for a very long time. So I figured out who lived there and sent a letter inquiring about the old dodge, months latter I got a call out of the blue by the owner and I set up a time take a look at it. After meeting up with the old guy and him showing me the truck he told me I could just have it if I could put it to good use. Now I have always loved the look of these trucks so I told him I would come back and take it home. So 4 days later I picked it up and now its sitting in my driveway. It was kinda spur of the moment and I'm still not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it.

So he also offered me any parts I wanted off two 1.5 ton trucks of the same year range for parts to fix mine up, I'm just not sure what is interchangeable to mine. Before I spend the time to take things apart it and haul it home it would be helpful to know what I can use. Does anyone know if the cab is the same?

IMG_20180710_210541149.jpgIMG_20180710_210527408.jpgIMG_20180710_181743197_HDR.jpgIMG_20180710_181735320_HDR.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! What a find and the price was right! I have tried the property records search to locate vehicle owners as well, except in my case they wanted 20x value. To answer your question, yes, I believe the cabs across the Dodge lineup of that era were the same, but a call to Vintage Power Wagons will confirm. They might be able to help you find a bed as well. Looks like a candidate for a frame up restoration.

someoldmoose

Wow! What a score ! Agree with NDT, lots of resources out there for these old girls. Hope she isn't too far gone to be brought back. Please, keep us advised.

sokoji

Thanks for the welcomes, its good advice about getting the parts for trading for other parts that I would need, I hadn't thought of it that way. The farmer is trying to clean up his land so he can sell it and would rather it go to a good home than getting scrapped. I'll try and get as much as I can with my with the little room I have for my project. I was surprised that sending a letter actually worked, I have tried many times before and usually get silence. I'm not sure yet if it can be saved the more I look the more I see how bad off it is, it was definately a farm truck and it shows. Just about everything is bent, broken or been shoot, the only thing that isn't to bad is the frame.

Almost got all the wooden bed off.
IMG_20180712_194410166_HDR.jpg
Got 3 spare doors windshield and other things.
IMG_20180712_194429383.jpg

Last edited:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a good base to start with. A big plus is the combat rims. John Bizal at Midwest Military may be a good resource for information and parts. He was a great help to me when I restored my WC-51.

sokoji

So I don't know a ton about these but I was looking at the engine and it says spitfire on the head and when I googled it it says it's a 251 cu in engine. I was under the impression that these all had 230 cu in engines in them, so Im assuming it was swapped?

Last edited:

sokoji

Well I finally got off enough of the paint on the hood to figure out the number and it appears to be W-26083 which would make this a WC-1. I ended up scooping out a garbage bag full of mouse poop and dirt and then power washed it. It still smelled like mouse urine so I hosed it down with bleach. I measured the head which turned out to be 25" and the number on the block starts with a C45 so it must either be a 237 or a 251 not sure which.

Has anyone done an extended cab or maybe a quad cab, it would be nice to have something that I could fit more than 2-3 people in.

715m29

Hello, I’m just down the road from Kennewick in Pendleton. If your looking for certain parts I might know who to ask in our area. Also I know somebody who is working on a few 1.5ton trucks and might need some parts. Good to hear from another person in our area with the green disease.

sokoji

Thanks, I'll check to see how bad it is after cleaning out all the bugs and rust.
Hello, I’m just down the road from Kennewick in Pendleton. If your looking for certain parts I might know who to ask in our area. Also I know somebody who is working on a few 1.5ton trucks and might need some parts. Good to hear from another person in our area with the green disease.
Yeah right now I have a bunch of parts that I'll need and I bet I'll find more as I go. Like a bed, seat, windsheild parts that hold it open, rear window grille and more.
Yeah if the Guy restoring 1.5 ton trucks needs some pieces let me know and I'll see what I can scrounge up. Thanks for the welcome, yeah it's nice to have like minded people close, I drive by that area alot for work.

sokoji

So I got the plate that one of the previous owners put on since the frame started to crack. Unfortunately the vin # is not all that legible anymore, I can make out a few of the numbers but it is too rust pitted on the others. Also another dilemma is that the military cab is pretty beat and I have a pretty clean rust free cab off a 1.5 ton truck but then it all that original.

IMG_20180724_163750691.jpgIMG_20180724_202917539.jpgIMG_20180725_170309695.jpgIMG_20180720_155401461.jpgIMG_20180720_155417582.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks