• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lift pump question...

FrankenCub

The lift pump I got today looks a bit different, I remember seeing some pictures of a pump that was definitely wrong but can't find it now. The base on the new one is shallower and the lever on this one is different. It does look like it's the same distance from the housing though.
This one is from Advance Auto, Carquest #1510502
This look ok?

20180712_175750.jpg

cucvrus

The way I can tell is does it begin the pumping action as soon as the lever is slightly depressed. On the wrong one the pumping action takes place only on a hard compression of the lever. I could also tell if I could look directly at the lever. The correct one has a spring on top of the lever. The incorrect one has the spring on bottom or no spring. I covered this subject several times. I used a Delphi directly from a GM dealer and it was like $50. Then I went to a pump from NAPA and it was wrong. I have bought them from Autozone and do have the part number listed in my head gasket Mule M1009 rebuild thread. Hope that helps. If not show me some pictures and do the compression of the lever test.

FrankenCub

This one does have the spring on top, the one taken out of the truck actually had it under the lever. There isn't much travel before the lever comes to compression and it's very stiff.
20180712_223050.jpg20180712_223155.jpg
I'll get better pictures of the old one....
And here they are
20180712_225129.jpg20180712_225149.jpg20180712_225141.jpg

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use a Delphi or ACDELCO part.
That pump isn’t fun to change and the cheap one, like you bought, lasted me a whole two weeks.
Wanted to get it running ASAP when I first got it home and bought the cheap one. Mistake!

I replaced it with an acdelco and it’s been flawless for over two years.

FrankenCub

Well, if this one holds up a year I'll be happy with it and replace it with an AC Delco at a later date. No one has one locally, and with the wife's car most likely going down for suspension repairs this weekend, I need my truck. Looking at the images of an AC pump, this one looks the same, where others didn't. They had different levers and different spring locations. Even the Delphi.
I'll give it a shot and hope for the best. I still have to pull the plate off the block and see if I have some grease sticky enough to hold the pump rod up.

cucvrus

OK. Stick with ME here please. If it begins suction immediately with lever compression it is the correct pump. It looks good from here. But immediate suction and resistance is what is needed. An no need to get an OEM pump. I would recommend changing the push rod plate gasket. Get all the bolts finger tight and tighten everything last. About a 1/2 hour job. I remove the right alternator and do everything from the top except the 2 M6 plate bolts. Good Luck. Report back.

FrankenCub

OK. Stick with ME here please. If it begins suction immediately with lever compression it is the correct pump. It looks good from here. But immediate suction and resistance is what is needed. An no need to get an OEM pump. I would recommend changing the push rod plate gasket. Get all the bolts finger tight and tighten everything last. About a 1/2 hour job. I remove the right alternator and do everything from the top except the 2 M6 plate bolts. Good Luck. Report back.
The visual comparison is what concerned me, it's been changed before I got the truck so maybe that's why it doesn't look right. A different one was installed.
Anywho, it's back together and after a good priming with the mighty vac it's back running again. Thanks for the help ;)

nyoffroad

The visual comparison is what concerned me, it's been changed before I got the truck so maybe that's why it doesn't look right. A different one was installed.
Anywho, it's back together and after a good priming with the mighty vac it's back running again. Thanks for the help ;)
A bit late here, glad you got it going. Do yourself a favor and pick up a AC Delco pump and just hang on to it, I used to run Auto Zone pumps to save money but had to replace them about every year. What good is a lifetime warranty if you have to replace it every year?

Matt5

Banned
You can buy AM general lift pumps, I may try one and see how it works with that forging port on it. Should be better than that made in china ****.

cucvrus

We forged rivers thick with snowmelt and searched for arrowheads in the desert. You can “ford” a raging river. Or you can “forge on” or “forge ahead.” But you can't “forge” a river. So a fuel pump with a forging attachment must be black smith related for adding fuel to the fire. :)

FrankenCub

Autozone sells Delphi pumps. I did a write up in the past about these Delphi pumps. I will search and attach the post. I have the same Delphi on several CUCV trucks no issues.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?169420...Fuel-pump
The pump that went bad was definitely matching the wrong pump in every way. I'll eventually get a spare to keep on hand later this year when I get some other more important projects finished.

cucvrus

Don't get a spare. Let the dry rot occur on the shelf in the parts house. They will move more stock during your storage and you will always get a fresh one. Like a said. A pump is a pump. I had the AC fail. AC is also Chinese. (main land) They will always be available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks