• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 6.2 No key, UK

ainsey11

Hey everyone!

The girlfriend has just been offered a M1028 CUCV from a friend for quite cheap, the chassis is in good condition, bodywork is quite rusty (expected since it hasn't moved in 5 years!) but on the whole looks in good nick

It hasn't got a key, so we popped the door by going in through the little window vent at the front and a trusty coathanger, but I just can't quite seem to make it fire. I've been working on it the past couple of days

I've checked a lot of the threads in here, but am a bit stumped, so was hoping someone can assist me.

The way I see it, I have two options :

1) find a CUCV key somehow, and start it normally
2) Hotwire it and somehow remove the steering lock that's on

At the moment I've gone for option two, as I can't find any key for sale that'll fit (I understand they're all the same key, and it has original locks / barrels on)
I charged both batteries up, and went rumaging under the dash and found two bundles of cables that are interesting

the first bundle is the wires that come out of the ignition barrel, (pink / purple / black / blue/white/ black/white) (see photo)

DSC_0110.jpg

I tried shorting these out in every possible combination, but had no joy, I checked them with my multimeter and couldn't get any power out of any of them. So I abandoned that idea and went for the starter relay instead. I shorted out the left/right pins on the connector and the engine cranked, but wouldn't start

I figured glow plugs / fuel was the problem, so I sorted the glow plugs (tested with meter / button works on dash with "wait" light on) and investigated fuel. From other threads I worked out I need to jump the fuel injector pump, on the pink wire to 12v. I did this, tried to start and still no joy. However the headlights started working and various other dash electricals too.

I can't hear the injector pump running, but it gets warm. so I checked out the diesel filter, turns out the pipe had split on the primer balloon bit (see photo below)
37047423_10211493657249545_4812981351655407616_n.jpg

I swapped this out with some spare pipe I had, but was unable to "prime" it because I hadn't got something I could use to pull the fuel through, but I figured that the fuel pump would at least start to pull something through, yet there is no noise whatsoever from it, no fuel even leaves the filter. I checked that diesel was flowing through it by undoing the little screw at the bottom of the filter, the diesel doesn't feel gummy at all, and smells quite fresh which is suprising to say the truck hasn't moved in about 5 years, (see filter / replaced pipe below)

37065445_10211493655369498_4016088931962454016_n.jpg

the only thing I can assume is that either the pump is gummed up and not pulling anything through, I'm missing another thing I need to short to the battery, or something is up with the other pump (the one that sits above the bell housing) so I'm not sure what to do, any advice would be appreciated.

I'm planning to go back tomorrow and investigate the other pump, and potentially remove the injection pump to see if it's all gummed up or not, also see if I can do a gravity fed fuel supply for now so it can get some fresh diesel into the pump,

The other thing is, does anyone have a CUCV key either for sale, or would be able to pop to a locksmiths, get one cut and post it over to the UK? the CUCV's are quite rare here and I'd love to get it running without having to smash the steering lock off / hack anymore wiring up than I have to, I'm quite happy to paypal some money over for the cost and some for your time, I'd love to get this truck running so I can give it to the girlfriend for her 30th birthday.

Oh, from what I've figured out it's a 1985 model, I have the chassis tag here :

DSC_0109.jpg

Thanks everyone and hopefully I can get this running! I'll be sure to post pictures and do a restoration thread :)

Cheers,

Ainsey

Last edited:

sandcobra164

One procedure we use on HMMWV's that have sat in storage for some time that don't start is to "give it an enema". Simply put, we remove the return fitting from the injection pump and push pressurized 10 weight oil back into the pump to unseat the check valve. We use a converted grease gun / pump to do it so I'm sure the pressure is not very high but it is very effective. We changed Injection Pumps prior to one of our brilliant mechanics coming up with the idea and it works most of the time. As for the key, I have a few laying around and only 1 truck. I sent one out earlier this month, your situation being in the UK is a little different. Provide me a guide on how to ship it over and it will be on the way! It should work as your truck has not had the locks replaced, neither has mine.

ainsey11

Thanks Sandcobra,

I'm off up there again today so will give the grease gun trick a go, feels nice to be heading up there with some more knowledge and a bit more of a clue as to what to do haha!

I'll PM you in regards to the key when I'm back from the truck, is much appreciated :D

Cheers,

Ainsey

ainsey11

OK, so I went to have another look today, still no joy of making the old girl run

bought some fuel line + a priming tool, ran one end of the line into a fresh tank of diesel, the other end up to the intake side of the fuel filter, and primed it up,
cranked over and it wouldn't fire :(
DSC_0147.jpg

Tried sandcobras grease gun trick with some 10W and it wouldn't take the oil, then after about 3 squeezes, it took a little and then no more, jumped the pink again and still no joys,
guessing this means the injection pump is dead / gummed up? or am I missing some more systems to jump to the battery? it makes a click when you hook it to the battery and gets warm, but you can't hear it running

just to make sure I have this correct - the injection pump is the pink wire in the photo, and the return pipe is the pipe on the left?
DSC_0142.jpg

/ the pipe in the middle of this picture here
DSC_0143.jpg

any ideas? I'm a bit stuck now :/

nyoffroad

First thing, leave the injector pump alone! (Atleast for now) If you look on the right side (passenger side) under the alternator you'll see a lift pump mounted on the side of the block that provides fuel under pressure to the injection pump. Make sure that you have fuel in the tank and that you have 12 volts to the pink wire on the IP (hot wire and you should hear a slight click) Then jump the glow plug relay and using a handheld push button type remote starter switch push the button and start the engine easy peasy!
Just thought, take a look at the fuel lines, from the tank to the lift pump are under vacuum and from the pump to the IP are under pressure. Any leaks and you'll have hard or no starting.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ainsey, if Joseph isn't able to get you a key, send me a PM with your mailing info. Sending a key to the UK is only a couple of $$.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks