• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replacement 6.2

Hasdrubal

Having numerous issues with my tired motor. Looking around up here for another 6.2. Wondering what opinions anyone might have on a price range for a good used 6.2, reasonably low miles, not bagged. basically a long block with no IP, alts, etc..

cucvrus

If you were closer I have the engine. But shipping would be a killer. I have a 6.2 HMMWV take out engine I want to sell. Or stop by and pick it up. I have the wrecker here this weekend. Wishful.

cucvrus

They work fine in CUCV's. Just use the long block assembly and you are good to go. Most people have everything else but a good long block. I put several in CUCV's but not at that price. That was the installed price in a HMMWV finished. I tend to work for less when I have something to work with. Most times I was given the vehicles in bushel baskets and someone else did a very poor attempt at being the "screw it up your selfer" on it. Some people should be banned from having tools and vehicle that the hood opens. Have a Great Day.

Matt5

Banned
This is EXACTLY what I said, everything is useless except the block.

I have a 2000 mile 6.2 humvee take out, can't sell it at 1200 (block, IP, only, no oil pan as, they don't work either with cucv).

I am sorry but its really in poor taste IMO to link a 3500$ motor tranny tcase combo for a humvee when someone is asking for a motor for a cucv and not even mention that nothing works with a cucv.

As I said the tranny and tcase don't even work with the cucvs (tranny has no park in it)... it is legit a link to a block for $3500, with no mention of the fact that, tcase, tranny, ip, etc really *everything*, does not work with a cucv. Oil filter does not work, lol... nothing legit *nothing* works with a cucv.

I have a 6.5 that needs a IP that is dam near brand new (compression around 500psi) for I don't even know... 750-1000? lol

cucvrus

I scrapped 6.5 engines that were in cutaway busses because the heads were different and I saved them for CUCV's. I sold the buses for scrap and they were crushed with the 6.5 engines in them. Hated to do it but I needed to use them and they didn't fit. Scrap was high at the time and I scrapped a lot of good stuff. Never look back. What's done is done. They build them everyday. Don't they?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too think a 6.2 Humvee powerpak for 3K is seriously overpriced. Almost to the point of being funny. Yes the long block is usable for a cucv. You can even use the 24V IP. If you wire it using a relay from the 24V side. The 90 deg oil filter housing on the Humvee engine un bolts and is discarded. The adaptor where the filter mounts can be removed and screwed into the block. Then the oil filter will work it the vertical position just like the CUCV.

Hasdrubal

Anyone ship a 850 lb 6.2 cross country? wondering how much they charge. That's in case my search up here fails. Not giving up yet..still chasing some leads. By the way, does a Humvee 6.2 have the same rotation water pump? I know the oil pan has to be changed and the water crossover pipe is different. I'll be swapping all my externals onto the "newish" motor.

Iceman3005

If you have $8500 you could put a P400 6.5 block in your truck. They say it can handle 250hp and 550 ft. lbs of torque. But I bet that it could take closure to 500 hp and 800 ft. lbs of torque. Its only money right?!

Iceman3005

Tranny no good for cucv
Everything on motor no good for cucv

You legit just linked a $3,250 block to someone... wow...

Even the injection pump is no good (24 volt vs 12 for cucvs)

6.2's higher end tend to be around $1000 for a cucv...

Ya I am not impressed with them either. They are way over priced. I can't believe they are still in business. I need a radiator for my m813, they want $2000 for a NOS, and $1000 for a used one. I found them else where for $700-900 for NOS, and $300-400 for a used one. My advice is do a google search, there are several surplus places that have reasonable prices.

cucvrus

Anyone ship a 850 lb 6.2 cross country? wondering how much they charge. That's in case my search up here fails. Not giving up yet..still chasing some leads. By the way, does a Humvee 6.2 have the same rotation water pump? I know the oil pan has to be changed and the water crossover pipe is different. I'll be swapping all my externals onto the "newish" motor.
Get your shipping arranged. I can get it on a truck. I have aces to a dock. Let me know.

Hasdrubal

Ever think about going thru your engine? Rings, bearings, oil pump can all be done at home.
You make it sound easy like changing a lift pump. I'm aware of whats involved in an engine re&re and rebuild. I do my own maintenance, lift pump, P/S pump, water pump etc. I don't have a garage, engine hoist, cleaning tank or other equipment where I'm renting to think about tackling an engine rebuild. .The major engine rebuilding outfit up here won't touch a 6.2, says they're too old and can't get parts. I was somewhat shocked by that. I know an old school mechanic who can work on it. There are other issues, there is a nasty oil leak..getting worse, 1 quart a week from the back of the drivers head. He thinks the head might be cracked. Says its not worth the cost in labor at $100 an hour to re & re the head, just to change a gasket.

If it needs a new head, I'd have to source one out, they're just not lying about up here. there's some considerable down time associated with that route also. No point in just doing 1 head, then there's really no point to doing the heads without a complete rebuild. Engine has always had quite the blow-by when you remove the fill cap and used oil. 200,000 miles on it, daily driver for 14 years. Last oil change I found a small sliver of metal stuck to the oil pan plug magnet, first time that's happened. So, the consensus is it just makes economic sense to get another good low mileage engine.

So.. I'm wondering if the "pull the oil cap and observe the locomotive effect" changes between a cold or hot motor state. I'll be asking about that as most don't have a compression tester for it.

Last edited:

cucvrus

The huffing oil is present during idle with the cap off. When you pick up the RPM's it goes away. Or should I say it is supposed to. I would probably fix what you have the leak at the rea of the head could be a vacuum pump leaking, an oil pressure sending unit, valve cover or something else. But even a cheap motor will cost you well over $1500. And to get it installed and everything switched over outside. Well you see where I am going. And when I say vacuum pump. I had one leaking out the vacuum pump. Not the base gasket the pump itself. Hard to find. 1 time and that was 25 years ago. So I don't scare easy anymore. Good Luck. If you can set up shipping I will sell you a 6.2 HMMWV take out for much less then the other guy. Mine is a bare long block. I stripped all the HMMWV stuff off of it before storing it. Have a Great Day. Good Luck.

LT67

The huffing oil is present during idle with the cap off. When you pick up the RPM's it goes away. Or should I say it is supposed to. I would probably fix what you have the leak at the rea of the head could be a vacuum pump leaking, an oil pressure sending unit, valve cover or something else. But even a cheap motor will cost you well over $1500. And to get it installed and everything switched over outside. Well you see where I am going. And when I say vacuum pump. I had one leaking out the vacuum pump. Not the base gasket the pump itself. Hard to find. 1 time and that was 25 years ago. So I don't scare easy anymore. Good Luck. If you can set up shipping I will sell you a 6.2 HMMWV take out for much less then the other guy. Mine is a bare long block. I stripped all the HMMWV stuff off of it before storing it. Have a Great Day. Good Luck.
Good morning,

Not that I need a replacement engine, but I want to be clear in case I have to any time soon..

A HMMWV 6.2 and a 6.5 Optimizer long block will drop right into my M1008 with no problems correct? And all I would basically have to do is transfer the accessories from my current 6.2 over to another long block correct? An Optimizer will need a difference oil pan correct?

Last edited:

cucvrus

A HMMWV 6.2 and a 6.5 Optimizer long block will drop right into my M1008 with no problems correct? And all I would basically have to do is transfer the accessories from my current 6.2 over to another long block correct? An Optimizer will need a difference oil pan correct?

Honestly I don't know. I made the mistake and bought 2 1996 USAF expeditor buses and the engines were completely different. I needed one for a 1996 K30 wrecker and it was different. Good thing they were no expensive. When scrap prices were up I crushed them. Same a school bus cutaways chassis. I never put anything but a 6.2 in a CUCV. Never thought .3 liter would make that much difference. I had a few really good running 6.2 engines. My M1009 Mule was one of them. I think the current owner can voucher for that. Have Great Day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks