• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 CUCV water pump on a 6.5

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a new one for you. As many of you know, I have a new P400 6.5 long block on the way to install into my M1028. Because I want to maintain the original 12/24 volt CUCV alternator system, I plan to move my original CUCV alternators, brackets, and PS pump over to the new 6.5 from the 6.2. For the past several weeks I have been accumulating parts for this swap, and had decided to abandon my original 34-year-old factory 6.2 water pump for a new high-flow pump to help cool the extra horses the P400 would be producing. Because I plan to re-use my original V-belt system on the new 6.5, I needed a clockwise (CW) rotation pump, as the serpentine belt system requires a CCW rotation pump. After exploring all the "high-flow" pumps available, I settled on a new high-flow CW water pump from FlowKooler to accomodate the 6.2 V-belt design https://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/ . Yesterday I called FlowKooler and spoke with a fellow named Lee and explained to him what I planned to do. He then told me that the CW rotation 6.2 pump will not work on a 6.5 engine because the bolt pattern is different. I questioned this, so I pulled up images of both pumps, and although the castings are different (they have to be for the dirrerent water flow), the bolt pattern looks the same to me.

Anybody else heard of this?

Thanks.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Done some more investigating and a lot of reading on this today and concluded that I will need to use a 6.2 water pump backing plate in order to bolt up the 6.2 CW rotation water pump. Now all I need to do is confirm that the 6.2 backing plate will bolt up to the 6.5 timing cover housing. Anybody done this?

Thanks.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you are correct. There is two different backing plates. One for the CW pump and one for the CCW pump. You can use your original 6.2 backing plate with no problems. It will bolt to any 6.2 or 6.5 timing chain cover. You can even use the bolts. They are also the same. I have done this multiple times. My 1028 has a civi 6.5 that I used my CUCV 6.2 parts on. My 6.5 GEP engine in my M998 is the same way. I have a 6.2 Vbelt with a 60 amp alt on it. With the engines removed this is a quick 15 min change out.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Ken for that great piece of knowledge. I need to buy a 6.2 V-belt backing plate, because I want to leave my original 6.2 engine intact to enhance its resale value. So if anybody has an original 6.2 V-belt backing plate laying around, pm me and I will see if I can scrape up the dough.

nyoffroad

Geez, it figures. I just took 5 6.2 water pumps to the scrap yard and one had a backer plate on it, I didn't need it and am trying to clean up stuff soooo.....

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Ken for that great piece of knowledge. I need to buy a 6.2 V-belt backing plate, because I want to leave my original 6.2 engine intact to enhance its resale value. So if anybody has an original 6.2 V-belt backing plate laying around, pm me and I will see if I can scrape up the dough.
I have a brand new GM backing plate if your still looking for one.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No Mr. Tinstar, that plate is for the 6.5 CCW serpentine water pump. I happen to have that same 12562637 plate here in my inventory and it is exactly like your photo. The correct water pump backing plate for the V-belt 6.2 CW rotation is part #14024208. Here are the pages from the 9-2320-289-34P CUCV TM. If you look closely at the gasket in the image, you will see that the water flow is opposite from your plate.

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mr. Sharecropper: Mr. Tinstar is indeed correct; what appears in his first picture is for the 6.2L & 6.5L N/A (detuned) V-belt driven, CW- rotating water pump.
I think that is what you are looking for...?
I have in my hands the exact same plate as his first photo. Part #12562637. That plate is for the CCW serpentine pump.

I need the 14024208 plate for the V-belt CW pump. If you will look at the gasket image #7, Figure 31, you will see that the water flow is opposite from Tinstar's image.

GM purposely drilled the plates differently so the pumps could not be mixed up.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No Mr. Tinstar, that plate is for the 6.5 CCW serpentine water pump. I happen to have that same 12562637 plate here in my inventory and it is exactly like your photo. The correct water pump backing plate for the V-belt 6.2 CW rotation is part #14024208. Here are the pages from the 9-2320-289-34P CUCV TM. If you look closely at the gasket in the image, you will see that the water flow is opposite from your plate.
I stand corrected.
Thanks for the info

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks