• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IEC60309 IEC309 Pin and Sleeve Connectors

USAMilRet

Very good deals here. Got what I needed, 5 pieces, for under $300. Hubble or mennekes or Leviton would have cost me anywhere from $700 to $1000 for the same items.

These are closeout deals, NIB.

Source: https://www.stayonline.com/searchresult.aspx?categoryid=4054

I got the 560 watertight series of connectors.

[h=3]Specifications[/h]
Volts347/600V
Amps60A
Phase3-Phase
Connector560C5W
Gauge8 AWG to 4 AWG
Cord Grip Range.670 - 1.625 in. / 17 - 41 mm
Pole/Wire4/5
ProtectionIP67 Watertight
Country of OriginCzech Republic
Certification
UL Listed, CSA, CE

I only need 4 pole but the 5 pole was insanely priced and its three phase. For my purposes, I will just use 4 poles and make it single phase.

Guyfang

Staff member
Good gear. We use a lot of ABB or probably even more, Menekes. Same good quality. Easy to use. Easy to install. Good prices. I just bought 4 pieces, two of each side. Paid a bit more, and live in the country of origin.

USAMilRet

Got my first shipment of the connectors. These things are huge. Will get pictures up tomorrow. If you are thinking pin and sleeve, these are almost equal to Hubble

Guyfang

Staff member
Big for a reason. Cable is big. The hardware is sturdy, it has to be able to take a beating, and not fail in a "spectacular" fashion. Heat. Under a serious load, or serious overload, once again, you don't want it to fail. I have seen some of these connections melted together, but not shorted out, or burnt up. They can be a PITA to connect to the cable, but a 60 amp connector is normally not hard. When it's up around 125 amp or larger, then you can sweat. If you haven't ever done connectors like this before, get informed. Read the directions. It will save you time and sweat. Do use, and I am not sure what you call them in english, but they are metal bands on the ends of the wires, to prevent them from spreading out. It makes putting the wire ends into the clamps much easyer.

USAMilRet

Yeah BIG. I understand the concept of this but the jump from 50 AMPS to 60 AMPS in connectors sizes is humongous. Nothing wrong with big though. I remember the old spools in the military with connectors like these. They were aluminum though and weighed a ton. At lease these are lighter.

Next to my spool of 100ft of 6/4 Type W. Now to get them installed....

20180718_120607.jpg20180718_120625.jpg20180718_120657.jpg20180718_120742.jpg20180718_120854.jpg

They are very specific about not "tinning" or otherwise doing anything to the wire ends for connection purposes.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I am not talking about tinning. I am talking about a band that slips over the end of the wire to keep the strands from spreading, or being bent over. If I was at home, I would take a picture of them. You slip it on, crimp it and then the end of the wire is almost solid. It's the proper way to do it here in Germany. Maybe not in the states. Also, when you put the wire in the pins, and screw them tight, if there are two screws per pin, tighten up the rear screw first. The the forward screw. Meinecus recommends that way, as the forward screw often pushes the wire back out of the pin a bit. That way your surface contact area is smaller, and conductivity is not as good. It's only a matter of millimeters, but has big consequences sometimes.

kavesman1

Here's a question about the connectors. Are they rated by total amps the connector can handle at the specified voltage, or are they rated per pole?

USAMilRet

Total amps based on a single pole. So even though all 5 poles can handle 60 amps each, the total rating for the connector comes from a single pole and not the combination of the 5 poles.

kavesman1

Total amps based on a single pole. So even though all 5 poles can handle 60 amps each, the total rating for the connector comes from a single pole and not the combination of the 5 poles.
That's what i was thinking they were rated at...but wasn't sure about. I got a 84Kw @ 480v 3 Phase powdercoat/burnoff oven i got off of GL a year ago and been waiting for the right connectors for the power supply to come by at the right price.

USAMilRet

That's what i was thinking they were rated at...but wasn't sure about. I got a 84Kw @ 480v 3 Phase powdercoat/burnoff oven i got off of GL a year ago and been waiting for the right connectors for the power supply to come by at the right price.
Yup... The ones that I have are 600vac 60 amp 5 pole 4 wire 3 phase 2 color 1piece

And some of the pricing ($10 for a receptacle, $50 per plug or connector) is unheard of.

Last edited:

Wdr

For the oven look up cam loks. Often used for power connections over 60a. They are single pole, one for each conductor. Not by any means idiot proof to the extent of pin and sleeve as there’s nothing to prevent missconection but if you know what you are doing they are an affordable option.

Good prices on the pin & sleeves. Il have to keep that in mind. Lately I’ve been using Russell stoll stuff as it’s been available very cheap on eBay. They are the big metal housing connectors. I do find as with most electrical things the Hubble NEMA Plugs are better made but more costly than the IEC. I’ve yet to find them for a reasonable cost anywhere so I use the IEC stuff as well.

Also by far best pricing on portable cable I’ve found is Wire and cable your way. Online place, have had good look ordering in the past. They have everything from thhn to mining cable.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks