• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Butte Montana large 5th wheel trailer down a steep mountain.

JarheadMtn

Several years ago my wife and her dad pulled a very large 5th wheel travel trailer up to their property. It weighs about 14,000 lbs and is about 40' long. They used 2 one ton 4 x 4 trucks, winches, come along, cables and rope to get it there. I wish I could have been there to watch the show! It was going to be her dad's forever home and no plan was ever made to get it down. Since he has passed away she would like to bring it down. The dirt road is steep, rocky and loose with 2 sharp turns for about a 1/4 mile, after that its not too bad. I have a M813 and wouldn't hesitate to tow it down with it if it had a 5th wheel plate. We only need to move it about 7 miles down the dirt road. I have towed heavy trailers down this road with my 4 x 4 pick up and have been pushed around by 10,000 trailers on these turns, so I'm hesitant to hook it up to my pick up. I think a 5 ton or deuce and a half would be much better suited with the weight. No hurry to get it down just seeing if anyone in the area had a truck to help or if someone was passing thru wanted to play. Its not to far from I-90.
Thanks

dhatcher

I'm Billings and I have a 818, but it's been relieved of its 5th wheel plate as I make ready for a cargo bed. You're welcome to the 5th wheel and ramps of you wish.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Or just see if some logger or farmer near by has a dolly and just come on down with it behind your 813.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Or just see if some logger or farmer near by has a dolly and just come on down with it behind your 813.
The only problem with a dolly is unless the trailer has brakes, the trailer will push the dolly all over the place going down a very steep loose gravel road.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang, was just through your area last week, and always love to play! Maybe could have put the trailer on my pickup and tied your 5 ton to the rear for an anchor?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nopics

Once you figure out how to hitch that trailer to a tow vehicle, consider adding a second HEAVY vehicle with VERY GOOD BRAKES as a CABOOSE to double your braking forces and provide an anchor in the event of a runaway.

Tell ya what.... You post up some pics and I'll get our prayer warriors to start lifing y'all up for a safe and successful downhill extrication.

Carry on.

Last edited:

JarheadMtn

Its up there on my wife's property so it can stay there as long as needed. We usually get snow in November that would make it to slippery to tow. So there isn't a specific time to move it down. Her dad bought it new in 2009 and towed it up and parked it next to a steep drop off and then built a barn right in front of it so there was no way to connect it to a tow vehicle.

I welded up a small tow dolly and got the 5th wheel plate under it to lift the landing gear, then used a winch to pull it backwards until I could get a small tractor in front of it. The tow dolly isn't strong enough to be used to tow it down the mountain. I was able to tow it around the side of her barn and park it behind the barn. The snow gets about 6 feet deep in front of the barn but not as deep out back. So I'll still need to turn the trailer around and tow it back to the front of the barn with a tractor. This area is flat but narrow. Once we leave her property and get on the narrow steep dirt road is when it gets fun with the 2 sharp turns. The first 1/4 mile is the problem, after that its not too bad. They are named the Rocky Mountains for a reason. Her place is a 7500' and the trailer is going down 7 miles to 5500'.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks