• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water Pump Question

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... As long as it is a 6.5L N/A (detuned) engine, that's OK.

The description in that TM clearly reads: PUMP,COOLING SYSTEM 6.2 AND 6.5 LITER DETUNED.......................

Chief B

OK... Im seriously stuck now... I have taken off the radiator and fan, but cannot get the pulley off the water pump so that I can get the pump off. Is there a trick to removing this pulley? There is a bolt behind the pulley that I cannot get to without removing it that holds the water pump on.
IMG_1612.jpg

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

The pulley is a press fit, it may take some heat along with the proper puller.

What bolt is behind the pulley?

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Chief B

The bolt that holds the pump to the Block. I figured out the issue though. This front part
needed a little assistance from a rubber mallet then I was able to get to bolts underneath to remove pulley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaiser67M715

Oh, yeah, these aren't press fit pulleys, I work on too many vehicles to keep track sometimes. Glad you got it off though.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Chief B

So got it all removed only to find out that the back plate is rusted and pitted behind the water pump. I do not see the point of reusing this plate as I feel that it will only ruin the new water pump with rust particles, but evidently you cannot buy one of those around here over the weekend and since I fly back to Africa on Monday I am not going to get this towed to a shop to finish the work and I guess have them fix my vampire issue while they have it. At least this way I will be able to drive it when I come back for my Christmas leave hopefully.

Chief B

Any idea about how long it should take to put a water pump back in?

Shop is charging me for 16 hours. I already had everything removed and all the parts. They put it together then found out that the cam would not turn (it ran when I removed the water pump) so they took it apart to find that a gear on the fuel injector pump was gone (they’re saying it’s probably from me leaving the engine exposed to the elements by leaving the water pump off) so a new pump and put it back together. $2500 (which still does not add up based on their hourly rate) later and my wife can go pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaiser67M715

To take apart and put back together, I can do in 4 hours, to just put together, 2hrs tops, this is on a regular truck, but not that different, space is just a little more cramped.

to loose a gear on the injection pump is bull, they probably forgot to put it on-assuming they did it right and removed the timing cover(not the same as the water pump plate).

If the cam wasn't turning, then the timing chain failed. A little unlikely, these are pretty robust chains, and I've installed used rusted chains on junk engines(for play, I can mismatch enough parts from junk engines to get a decent runner for a while)

Another possible scenario is the cam gear wood ruff key sheared, and the the gear is free spinning on the shaft, again not that common....

at $100 an hour, assume shop time of max 5 hours to put together.... $2500 definitely sounds high, but they are probably charging you to pull it all apart again and then reinstall as well....diagnostic time to figure why it won't start.....just another way to get at unsuspecting customers. I always get a quote in writing, and a written note to call me if there will be extra work involved that increases the original quote, that way I never get any surprises...like a whole new front end and new brakes after having replacing them all 2 months earlier.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
That's a bit messed up for a water pump. > " $2500 later and the wife can go and pick it up" < You better be waiting on the porch with $2500 diamond earrings in a cute little box. Mine would be quacking me and the truck, all the way home with a BIG baseball bat.

This can't be good... unless, bumper to bumper, 60,000 mile warranty.

Must be the love of green,

CAM

Last edited:

Chief B

Yea... I'm thinking that this place is trying to get one over on me because he knows I'm deployed and it is my wife that will have to come get the vehicle. Will be having many more conversations over the phone with them and getting detailed reports before she does pick it up though. Unfortunately this was the only place in my area that would work on it. I called every diesel mechanic in town and they would not touch it so I had to get it towed out of state (just over 40 miles) which already put me 300 into the repair bill.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Sorry for this headache. Maybe the local BBB or state agency could look into it. Check to see if they have other claims against them. I have seen news stories of like situations, high jacking deployed service members needs to be investigated.

THANK's you for your service, good luck and be safe.

CAM

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks