• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water Pump Question

Chief B

So my son just went to take my HMMWV for a spin and water is spraying all over the place from the pulley attached to the water pump. Tried doing a search on here and on the internet, but cannot find for certain. Does anybody know what water pump this takes? It is a 1990 6.2L.

Thank you

Stan

Chief B

So I did try calling my local O'Reilly auto and they claim they had on e for $32. Looking at Kascar its like $109. My issue was reading the threads on here that did come up in my search said something about it turning backwards so I wasn't sure if this $32 one would fit the bill or not. Going to try calling Kascar tomorrow since they are out of stock anyway and see if they can recommend an alternative.

Action

A serpentine belt turn the pump in the opposite direction. If you have v belts on a 6.5 n/a, it will use the same as the old 6.2 setup.

Kaiser67M715

A serpentine belt turn the pump in the opposite direction. If you have v belts on a 6.5 n/a, it will use the same as the old 6.2 setup.
This, this is all you need to know for either a 6.2 or 6.5 water pump. Serpentine spins one way, V-belts spin the other.

If this is the first time doing the water pump, I highly recommend pulling the whole timing cover, for two reasons. One, most times the seal breaks on the block side, and will leak coolant after. Two, check for corrosion on the sealing surfaces-because a little corrosion now means the same work later to fix.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

I can tell you that when you change it pull the radiator. All the ‘hacks’ to do it with the radiator in place are for people with more time and patience than I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6.5 Surp belt pump won't fit on a 6.2/6.5 de-tuned water pump plate.
So, you can't put the wrong one on anyway.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m going through this now. The V-belt engines use a clockwise rotation pump and the serpentine belt engines use a counter clockwise rotation pump. The backing plates for each type pump are unique so you must use the specific plate for the specific pump. Not sure of the part numbers, maybe someone can chime in.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 6.2 Humvee used the same pump as a 6.2 CUCV. It is a CW rotation pump. Share cropper is correct. They were smart enough to change the bolt pattern so you can't mix them up. ACDELCO 252611 is the part number if you need to cross reference.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 6.2 Humvee used the same pump as a 6.2 CUCV. It is a CW rotation pump. Share cropper is correct. They were smart enough to change the bolt pattern so you can't mix them up. ACDELCO 252611 is the part number if you need to cross reference.
Ken - would you happen to know the GM part number of the 6.2 CW backing plate?

Chief B

Thank you all for your help on this... I'll be going home for a 96 hr lib in a few weeks and want to have the parts waiting for me when I get there so I can get it changed out and hopefully drive it while I'm home before I have to come back to Djibouti.

papakb

I believe the part number you're after is GM# 14024208

I see a lot of information online that this part is obsolete but the GM replacement part is the same size and shape but needs to have it's mounting holes relocated. I've never done this job so I'm only passing along what I've found.

Thecaptain

Just curious - any specific reason you want to swap the backing plate - you should be able to clean existing one with minimal effort - or has yours been damaged in some way?

papakb

If you highlight the number, right click it and then tell the system to "Search Google for 12514574" Everything comes back as reporting to a 6.5L engine.

You always need to be careful to use the proper TM for your truck. The TM numbers and publishing dates on the front cover may not change but the information does as changes are added.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks