• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air brakes - when to use when not too???

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trailer experts
I have a M1061 trailer which i pull behind my M936a1. everything is stock. I have noticed if i run the trailer empty with the air brakes hooked up, on anything other than pavement, they will lock up pretty easy. once loaded, the brakes operate perfectly. I have not run it on wet pavement empty - but that is my concern!

So my question is - are my brakes out of ajdustment? or should i run no brakes when empty?

thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They are air over hydraulic. They are sensative with the air flow. Try running it with the valve halfway open or even a quarter. it may alleviate that. Or add in a trolley valve so you can add only however much air to the brakes that you want. Trolley valve install takes about an hour to hook up on the truck. I have a video on my youtube page on it. and really the M936 doesnt need brakes to stop that little 1061 but even a little is a help. Especially the time you load it up with logs and forget to open the service brake side and you get a push. Even though a heavily loaded m1061 couldn't push a 936 very much, but something to keep it in track it a little better than nothing. Trolley valve also helps with backing it up too.

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simp5782, will add a trolley valve to my list of things to do. and yes I have noticed no push even when loaded with a couple of tons of logs and no air on the brakes (just local < 45 mph).
thanks

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks