• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run flats. Yes or no?

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been thinking about the 14 to 16.00X20 upgrade on my M923A2. Aside from the obvious "run flat" and weight difference...any input on pros and cons having run flats in them?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
When you have a blowout on a steer tire with a 16.00 you are going to drop 14 inches to the ground. Try controlling that because you can't . Rear tires it does not matter as they go down you don't have many handling issues but on the front with those big tires you want em. Or atleast get the composite 395 runflats and put them in a 14.00 or 16.00 tire. Not as heavy as the big rubber ones in the 16.00s but you still have some control when it goes down on that smaller runflat. Plus they are lighter and easier to put in with their 3 bolt design.

8madjack

I guess I'll have to let air out of the tire and see how flat it goes to know if I have them in there. Where can you get them? And are they a lot?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Are you sure? They only came on gun trucks with 3/4" studs on the wheels. wheel/tire combo with a runflat is around 525lbs without is around 440lbs

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I guess I'll have to let air out of the tire and see how flat it goes to know if I have them in there. Where can you get them? And are they a lot?
I have some 14.00 runflats. They are harder to come by. the composite ones are on ebay for the 395s for around $50 each. Most places like eastern will sell you a lot of 60 of them for $1 on ebay.

74M35A2

When you have a blowout on a steer tire with a 16.00 you are going to drop 14 inches to the ground. Try controlling that because you can't . Rear tires it does not matter as they go down you don't have many handling issues but on the front with those big tires you want em. Or atleast get the composite 395 runflats and put them in a 14.00 or 16.00 tire. Not as heavy as the big rubber ones in the 16.00s but you still have some control when it goes down on that smaller runflat. Plus they are lighter and easier to put in with their 3 bolt design.
Darn, Cledus. That's one of your better ideas. Well thought out.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heard this from someone who knows a heck of a lot more about this than I do. Someone who trades tires on a daily basis. In volume.

When running 16.00’s, if you do not use a runflat to keep the beads seated tightly, the sidewalls are so so rigid, they can leak slowly if you are running them low on air, he claims they can go flat overnight if you are running low psi in them. Basically not running 80 psi in them, you risk flats sitting or possibly while running. Key word “can” not “will” ... very few absolutes in life.

My back can’t take 80 psi in my 16.00’s, so, runflats in all.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Heard this from someone who knows a heck of a lot more about this than I do. Someone who trades tires on a daily basis. In volume.

When running 16.00’s, if you do not use a runflat to keep the beads seated tightly, the sidewalls are so so rigid, they can leak slowly if you are running them low on air, he claims they can go flat overnight if you are running low psi in them. Basically not running 80 psi in them, you risk flats sitting or possibly while running. Key word “can” not “will” ... very few absolutes in life.

My back can’t take 80 psi in my 16.00’s, so, runflats in all.

I just ran a set of 16.00 XZLs on my truck for 45,000 miles at 60psi and they never went flat even with alot of tounge weight. I never even had a blowout and no run flats installed.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No surprise. I doubt you would see a problem at that pressure.

I would not think it safe to run mine without beadlocks or runflats to act as a beadlock in the event of inadvertently running them at lower than safe pressures.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you have a blowout on a steer tire with a 16.00 you are going to drop 14 inches to the ground. Try controlling that because you can't . Rear tires it does not matter as they go down you don't have many handling issues but on the front with those big tires you want em.
Thats something I never thought of. That’s a selling point for me for sure.

Why arent you running runflats in yours?

someoldmoose

IMHO, and I will always say, run-flats should be mandatory on ANY vehicle over 10,000 lb. GVW. Losing a steer tire at highway speed is scary in a passenger car. It's an absolute NIGHTMARE in a larger vehicle. One that is towing is yet another level of terror. Europe used to require them in the steer tires and I think they have now made them mandatory in all ( apologies if incorrect ). Either way, when I switch to tubeless of any size they WILL all have run-flats. Stepping off :soapbox: now. Happy Motoring !

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO, and I will always say, run-flats should be mandatory on ANY vehicle over 10,000 lb. GVW. Losing a steer tire at highway speed is scary in a passenger car. It's an absolute NIGHTMARE in a larger vehicle. One that is towing is yet another level of terror. Europe used to require them in the steer tires and I think they have now made them mandatory in all ( apologies if incorrect ). Either way, when I switch to tubeless of any size they WILL all have run-flats. Stepping off :soapbox: now. Happy Motoring !
I disagree. Just because something is a good idea isn't sufficient justification to mandate it.

someoldmoose

[thumbzup][thumbzup] 98G, hence the opening four letters of my post. My experience of blow-outs in 425 / 80 's with and without set my mind. Everyone else is free to decide for themselves.

8madjack

Well I have to say that this is something I had not considered as far as the big truck goes. But I can see the advantage of having the front wheels with run-flats so I think I'm going to Source a couple.

someoldmoose

Well I have to say that this is something I had not considered as far as the big truck goes. But I can see the advantage of having the front wheels with run-flats so I think I'm going to Source a couple.
Not to :deadhorse: but the main reason all six of mine will have them is so that IF I lose a steer tire any of the four on the rear can be substituted with no loss of " safety margin". I don't sell 'em so I am not making a cent. Just such a simple thing to DO to make the truck safer and protect our hobby. Have a great day and Happy Motoring !

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want run-flats for me. I encourage everyone to use them.

A steer tire blowout is an experience....

That said, the blowout that was the most difficult for me to control was driver side middle axle. Super single M923A2 with an M925A1 on towbars behind it. Both trucks were loaded. Speed 50ish. This was the 3rd blowout of the trip, one of them being passenger side steer tire at 65mph.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want run-flats for me. I encourage everyone to use them.

A steer tire blowout is an experience....

That said, the blowout that was the most difficult for me to control was driver side middle axle. Super single M923A2 with an M925A1 on towbars behind it. Both trucks were loaded. Speed 50ish. This was the 3rd blowout of the trip, one of them being passenger side steer tire at 65mph.
Rough trip.

Did you have a runflat?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks