• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M934 humanity escape rig.

rionb83

Already in the process of striping out the box for a RV conversion. Also already converted the cartridge oil filter to spin on. Long ways to go to my end product, and I would like to share my build ideas in hopes of getting possible insights to better products/ideas.
Starters for the build after I get the gutting out done are to repurpose/replace parts of the fold out junk, pulling it in a bit, and making it permanent to the outer wall (legit slide out). Biggest obstacle to that is figuring out how to maintain most/all weight bearing since normally the slide out bars are flush with the floor. Any thoughts on that? Some angle on the outer wall should help a bit (need to do some measurements to see if it’s feasible), but there is a few feet of length of a gap between slide out arms and the floor.
After that is insulation, and I’m going with stuff called AeroGel. It’s about 2-3 times R rating to foam board, ultra thin, and pretty costly. After that a solar setup in the 2-4kw range (2kw center section, and 1kw each slide) so that will be an interesting mounting setup that will require microconverters to help maintain efficiency while slides are in. I have already made a smaller solar setup on a camper van I have so other then the mounting fabrication I have no worries building that up.
My big questions right now as I’m hashing stuff out are:
1: Has anyone added another fuel tank to their rigs? I got a 81 gal. tank on it already, but want to double that at the min. Could put it pretty much same spot on the right side of the truck, and run a cross over tube for easiest install.
2: Has anyone actually done a tranny swap? I see a few posts with that question, but usually for a standard. I want to keep it automatic, and should be able to adapt fairly easy to a newer style Allison?
3: Has anyone replaces the muffler with an easier one like off of a semi? If so what brand/style? Seems more reliable, quieter, and cheaper then a military setup from what I have been looking at.
That is all I got on my mind for right now, not lots of pics yet other then innards getting yanked out as I try to keep a nice history of Truck album. Thanks for any helpful thoughts.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Already in the process of striping out the box for a RV conversion. Also already converted the cartridge oil filter to spin on. Long ways to go to my end product, and I would like to share my build ideas in hopes of getting possible insights to better products/ideas.
Starters for the build after I get the gutting out done are to repurpose/replace parts of the fold out junk, pulling it in a bit, and making it permanent to the outer wall (legit slide out). Biggest obstacle to that is figuring out how to maintain most/all weight bearing since normally the slide out bars are flush with the floor. Any thoughts on that? Some angle on the outer wall should help a bit (need to do some measurements to see if it’s feasible), but there is a few feet of length of a gap between slide out arms and the floor.
After that is insulation, and I’m going with stuff called AeroGel. It’s about 2-3 times R rating to foam board, ultra thin, and pretty costly. After that a solar setup in the 2-4kw range (2kw center section, and 1kw each slide) so that will be an interesting mounting setup that will require microconverters to help maintain efficiency while slides are in. I have already made a smaller solar setup on a camper van I have so other then the mounting fabrication I have no worries building that up.
My big questions right now as I’m hashing stuff out are:
1: Has anyone added another fuel tank to their rigs? I got a 81 gal. tank on it already, but want to double that at the min. Could put it pretty much same spot on the right side of the truck, and run a cross over tube for easiest install.
2: Has anyone actually done a tranny swap? I see a few posts with that question, but usually for a standard. I want to keep it automatic, and should be able to adapt fairly easy to a newer style Allison?
3: Has anyone replaces the muffler with an easier one like off of a semi? If so what brand/style? Seems more reliable, quieter, and cheaper then a military setup from what I have been looking at.
That is all I got on my mind for right now, not lots of pics yet other then innards getting yanked out as I try to keep a nice history of Truck album. Thanks for any helpful thoughts.
First off is the truck fitted with an NH855 or an 6CTA engine? A NH855 does not have a awhole lot of room for a bigger transmission unless you move the transfer case back. You can look at the 7speed allisons, only issue is that they are electronic. The 600 series allison in it is a good overall transmission as long as you keep it cool. The bigger HT740 series transmission go in the heavier haul trucks like the M915A1 and M916A1s and HEMTTs. Bigger, Stronger but still have a direct drive 5th gear. I installed the CAT 7155 in mine. It is a semi automatic. You have to change gears BUT there is no clutch. The 8.3L trucks have alot more room however the Bigger allisons in the 700 series range all use SAE 1 bellhousings so that would have to be swapped.

Fuel tank wise a standard military tank will work on the brackets for the opposite side toolbox. Or you can install a 118gallon tank off a M915 series truck like I did on mine. Your frame has alot more room but i was able to fit dual 118gallon tanks.

There are quiet tone donaldson mufflers out there on the market. I can find the part number. I have a magnaflow 5in and it is pretty quiet considering.

rionb83

Yeah it’s the NHC250 engine it’s not a A2. I read a little on those cat trannies. That’s the 16 speed that you shift with a lever setup isn’t it? Does it work pretty good? Yeah if it wasn’t for the mudflaps I could put the equivalent of 4 of the 81 gallon tanks lol. Did the measurements today to try to hash it out, I love the idea of the bigger tank as well. Expensive to fill, but I need the Uber-range. My Toyota pickup has a 32 gallon aux tank on it for the same reason. Part number would be nice if you can find it, my trucks lower part of the muffler was ghetto fixed with a dust pan, and I plugged some small holes with some quick steel till I get it replaced.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah it’s the NHC250 engine it’s not a A2. I read a little on those cat trannies. That’s the 16 speed that you shift with a lever setup isn’t it? Does it work pretty good? Yeah if it wasn’t for the mudflaps I could put the equivalent of 4 of the 81 gallon tanks lol. Did the measurements today to try to hash it out, I love the idea of the bigger tank as well. Expensive to fill, but I need the Uber-range. My Toyota pickup has a 32 gallon aux tank on it for the same reason. Part number would be nice if you can find it, my trucks lower part of the muffler was ghetto fixed with a dust pan, and I plugged some small holes with some quick steel till I get it replaced.
It works well. You can roll pretty good in a truck with 395s on it. Even with 1600s you are around 1800rpms at 70mph. It is a hard setup to acquire all the parts to put into a truck. The adapter ring and umbilical shifter cable is like hens teeth. You also have to raise the cab 2.5 inches. Make new engine mounts, cab mounts, rear cab cross member, and move the transfer case back.

I have a build thread on it. I don't recommend it. I have all the parts in order to do the swap on someone's truck sitting around. Its not cheap though. But a worthwhile mod for an NHC250

https://youtu.be/dghW5PEBEKM

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rionb83

Roughly what is the cost/downtime for the Cat tranny swap? Anyone that’s has gutted one of these beasts would you recommend altering the fold down floors (mainly thinking of getting rid of the diamond plate, and middle section for something lighter)? Looks like mainly getting rid of lots of rivets. Most of the center roof is now stripped down, and I’m just planning the next batch demolition.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Roughly what is the cost/downtime for the Cat tranny swap? Anyone that’s has gutted one of these beasts would you recommend altering the fold down floors (mainly thinking of getting rid of the diamond plate, and middle section for something lighter)? Looks like mainly getting rid of lots of rivets. Most of the center roof is now stripped down, and I’m just planning the next batch demolition.
I am the only person to ever do it so I took me about 5 weeks or so. I had to measure and make everything. Put this back on. take it off make a bracket. Etc. With the work involved and you have to make big cam engine mounts it would be worth it to just swap a big cam in when you do it since you gotta pull the cab anyway. It's easier

Since I have the parts in place it's easier to measure and make the brackets before hand before tearing it apart.

Parts cost for everything is around 2500 for a good transmission. Adapter ring. Bellhousing, and umbilical cord. The adapter ring and umbilical cord are like hens teeth. The you would need a m931 driveshaft. So those are cheap. You having a LWB truck would have to have a driveshaft made. Some extra Air tanks. Everything else is just steel and welding. So if you can fabricate you can be out around 3500.

Last edited:

rionb83

Did you ever find the part number for that muffler? The stock diameter looks like it’s about 4 inches, did you redo the whole exhaust or expanded from stock exhaust pipe to the muffler? I can find plenty of 18 wheeler mufflers that would fit nicely as a direct replacement for the time being. The RV part is the money/time thing for now as the drive train is in working order.

rionb83

I am the only person to ever do it so I took me about 5 weeks or so. I had to measure and make everything. Put this back on. take it off make a bracket. Etc. With the work involved and you have to make big cam engine mounts it would be worth it to just swap a big cam in when you do it since you gotta pull the cab anyway. It's easier

Since I have the parts in place it's easier to measure and make the brackets before hand before tearing it apart.

Parts cost for everything is around 2500 for a good transmission. Adapter ring. Bellhousing, and umbilical cord. The adapter ring and umbilical cord are like hens teeth. The you would need a m931 driveshaft. So those are cheap. You having a LWB truck would have to have a driveshaft made. Some extra Air tanks. Everything else is just steel and welding. So if you can fabricate you can be out around 3500.

I have decent fab skills, and have a couple people that are excellent support in all areas for my needs for RV building for anything outside my abilities. This would be a future upgrade anyways, and just storing ideas for drivetrain upgrades. Love the idea of moving a bit quicker, but not running max rpm sounder the nicest for a slight boost in efficiency.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks