• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151-a2 Motor pool restoration IN PICS!

Lindsaym151

Ladies and Gentlemen!
Here we go again! This time its a M151-A-2
We are going to do a (MOTOR POOL ) resto on this project!
This means,
New wiring harness
New wheel bearings
new brakes
Check all universal joints ,clean and inspect and replace as necessary!
Check all rubber bushings at suspension points(replace as needed)
Body,
HAMMER OUT most defects, To be considered road worthy(minor dings and dents) will be passed over!
All electrical components will be made functional
WE have new steering linkage here so that will be installed!
Rebuilt knuckles front and back(in stock)
Gas tank check ,
structural inspection to body components(unibody spars and main frame)
Under body repair kit installed in necessary.

Tomorrow I will start posting pics!
I'm going to go into more detail with this build!
Total time on this one (part time) 3 months!

Lindsaym151

Well I got up at4 this morning and drove 2 hrs to pick up the A2.
It wasn't worth the effort to purchase and restore.
I was shown a vehicle that didn't even look like what was advertised!
Was told it was running! 1/2 the engine was missing!
Not one salvageable sq ft of vehicle left!
Why do people lie! when they know your going to come and look it over? never could understand that!
Vehicle was in Rocklledge fl!
So im still looking for the next build!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW!

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Glad you "got eyes on the target" before any cash was fraudulently exchanged.

Yet, had you not pursued it to that point, you may have regretted the "chance" that it was a diamond in the rough.

I'm subscribed and awaiting you next build.

Carry on.

Lindsaym151

Finally was able to get back to one of my own projects!
Started working on my own A2 again. Had it sand blasted , finding only minor rust .I welded up some cut out patches.
I also filled 153 bolt holes in the body.
Primed, painted every part.
ordered a new clutch kit, front trans seal, new shift knob, 4x4 shift knob, new glass for wind shield, new signal lights, also new tires.
I saw a picture either here or on g838 of a mutt used during Desert storm and am replicating that vehicle.
It was from the 101 st airborne. Possible recon vehicle with 416 trailer.

Attachments

Lindsaym151

was only able to work on project for a half day today.
Had to set time for tv show being shot about the WC 53 in the back ground in many of my pics! that's another story!
Gun mounts up and ready, windscreen installed, camo pattern completed!
Sorry about the crappy pics, lost my lighting!

Attachments

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Very nice, I really like the look of the 151. The horizontal grill, wider, longer, looks more stable off road. Maybe it is what I always seen on the installation that the MP's were wheeling in, Jefferson Barracks, Viet Nam timeframe. They would call them Kaisers.
I really like the tires on your 151, I bet they have a good bite, what are they?

Lindsaym151

Thanks for your kind words! The tires are cooper Discoverer sst 215-85-r16 with radial tubes . 10 ply .they where a nightmare to install! all by hand.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Thanks for your kind words! The tires are cooper Discoverer sst 215-85-r16 with radial tubes . 10 ply .they where a nightmare to install! all by hand.
I know what you mean. I also do most, I have one more 13.9 28 to do on my Ford NAA Tractor, but will have to wait till next summer when the rubber is easier to get on with the "spoons". And those are easier to do than the real tires. TRUCKS

You know I kind of miss the old split rims, which now have made kind of a comeback with the new style military wheels.

Lindsaym151

parts arrived late today! some cleaning of engine and trans and we should be back to more pics by the weekend! hope to have her completed by Sunday!

Lindsaym151

Ok cleaned up all parts today, To me this is critical!
Want everything going back together again as (new) tip,
If you have access to a welder, put a weld tab on the end of your clutch adjustment rod. this way you will never over adjust , and get into the situation that I'm in today!
All new schedule 8 bolts, washers, lock washers!(spend the few cents) and get what you need.
Pulled all vacuum lines off , getting ready for repaint( sand, Wire brush< bead blast)
Paint od green (Vietnam era)
Painting engine gloss black with vacuum lines od green .

Dipstick , valve cover inlet , = marigold yellow (krylon)
# colors only on an engine this compact!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks