• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who needs interior door handles?

scottmandu

Some trucks have a square window crank driveshaft versus the splined unit. I used some inexpensive VW cranks I found NOS, looks out of place with the VW logo though.

Crapgame

My 1994 LVAD has the splines, and I need both a door handle as well as window handle. Would prefer original style.

Your CAD for the original shape, I can have them cast but the 7071 aluminum alloy has a 5/32" per foot shrinkage. Would have to figure that as a percentage, blow up your CAD by that amount, 3D one, then they can be sand cast, even be drilled and tapped for set screw if you wanted to cast the plastic cover as part of the metal.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some trucks have a square window crank driveshaft versus the splined unit. I used some inexpensive VW cranks I found NOS, looks out of place with the VW logo though.
If anyone has the square style, and can give me accurate measurements, I'll see what I can do about those also.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my SHCSs in the mail today, and mounted up one of the 3D printed door handles on the passenger side (in place of that broken window crank someone had put on it). Surprisingly, it seems pretty tough. It fits snug, and you need to use the SHCS to pull it onto the splined shaft. I twisted it hard, and it didn't budge... impressive.

DoorHandle-3DPrinted.jpg

19Detail

In a $100k plus vehicle that could require a fast egress, they come with the cheapest door handles I have ever seen.

I am not a military preservationist and my wife is not on board with the whole project so money is tight. That being said, I would pay a premium to be able to reliably exit the vehicle. I would seriously consider a pair.

Thanks for tackling this problem.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesomness,
so what is the plan? Are you going to sell these?
Yeah, I'll probably circle back around to them soon. What I've been waiting on is to see how the 3D printed handles held up. I've been using one of the 3D printed ones for about 6 months now (since I made this post), and it's held up fine. So that's a viable option for the thrifty people out there.

1951M1078

So got the door window cranks. Test fit and their a little loose ? So I made a shim out of Alum duck tape. Needed a 6x25mm screw to replace the short ones. Installed and work just fine. Now we will see.
IMG_5591.jpgIMG_5592.jpgIMG_5593.jpg

snowtrac nome

I want a replacement opening handle like a duce has. something I can hold onto when opening the door in the wind 50 mph winds have already caused body damage to mu truck.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want a replacement opening handle like a duce has. something I can hold onto when opening the door in the wind 50 mph winds have already caused body damage to mu truck.
I'm not sure what that looks like, but I don't think it would work on the LMTV. The latch mechanism that the door handle hooks to isn't very strong.

Do your doors have the factory pull-handles on them? (Above the latch handle and window crank, just below the window, in this picture.)
DoorClosingHandles.jpg

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a little update on the 3D printed handles... they seem to work great. I've been running them for several months now, and haven't had any isuses with them coming loose or stripping out. It seems like a win! I still might make the metal ones, but at least they don't need to be a high priority now.

snowtrac nome

I'm not sure what that looks like, but I don't think it would work on the LMTV. The latch mechanism that the door handle hooks to isn't very strong.

Do your doors have the factory pull-handles on them? (Above the latch handle and window crank, just below the window, in this picture.
View attachment 756944
I want something like the old fords had where there was a handle you would lift up on

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 3D printed ones have worked flawlessly so far (a couple years now), so I never got around to having metal ones made.

However, now I see someone is selling 3D printed handles on eBay for $60 a pair. In my opinion, that is WAY overpriced. I'll make some and post them for sale, at around 1/2 that cost.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks