• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who needs interior door handles?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck is missing the black plastic cover off one interior door handle, and the other one was replaced somewhere along the line with a broken window crank handle. So I decided to 3D model some handles that could be machined from aluminum as inexpensively as possible (still not as cheap as I'd like, because it's complex geometry, but I did my best). I also 3D printed one to test fit, and it's pretty sturdy... I think a 3D printed one would work just fine (as I have it now, the splines fit on pretty tight - tight enough that you really have to push it on there or use the bolt to pull it on).

I just wanted to see if these things being missing or broken is a problem others have too, that is worth solving on a bigger scale (e.g. having a batch of aluminum ones made, posting the 3D printer files, offering 3D printed ones for sale, etc.)?

Concept rendering:
DoorHandleConcept1.png

I plan to do the same thing for the window cranks as well.

coachgeo

Not to burst your bubble and thank you so so much for your time and efforts.... but I think suprman has mentioned a few times some easy to find near identical replacements. Search in here should find his comments on this.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3D printed ones would be pretty cheap, maybe $20 each. I don't know how long they would hold up, but this prototype one I made from polyethylene sure seems tough. I might install it on my truck just to see how well it survives. I have to order some socket head cap screws for it though.

I sent my model over to my machinist buddy to look at. So far he doesn't think there is anything we could do to my design to make it any cheaper (while mimicking the original covered handle's shape and style as much as possible). It will require some jigs to hold the awkward shape. He's going to give me a detailed quote on machining time. Black anodizing (or powder coating) would add a few dollars. I would also need to get the splined insert made. At this point I only have a SWAG, but I would say maybe $50/ea... they'd last basically forever though, with no more plastic cover to lose or cheap zinc casting to break.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hmmm... I think superman has mentioned a few times some easy to find near identical replacements.
Yeah, I think he said for the window crank that one off an old VW Bug or something fits. What I'm describing here wouldn't be for people that want the cheapest possible solution, it would be for those that want a better solution. Initially, these are for me, to solve my problem, and I want one that looks fairly original and isn't some other cast zinc part. I just didn't know how many people are also missing these, and whether it's worth finding a way for others to be able to get them too.

coachgeo

Yeah, I think he said for the window crank that one off an old VW Bug or something fits. What I'm describing here wouldn't be for people that want the cheapest possible solution, it would be for those that want a better solution. Initially, these are for me, to solve my problem, and I want one that looks fairly original and isn't some other cast zinc part. I just didn't know how many people are also missing these, and whether it's worth finding a way for others to be able to get them too.
Yeah your right...... just went back and searched. He suggested an 80's era volvo 240 for window cranks.

If one wanted to ..... and do not care so much about original... put universal power window cranks on the windows...... and move the window cranks to replace the door openers.

PS- passenger door one is broken on mine. Internal metal framework piece is there but plastic broke off around it at some point.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just modified my handle 3D model to include the splines (because they were a separate insert for a machined part), and I started the 2 hour 3D print. I'll put it on my passenger door, where the broken window crank is currently the door handle, and see how well it survives for a while.

coachgeo

you got me curious so doing some searching. NO clue if these work.... just options to consider

http://www.piratemfg.com/1967-76-chevy-truck-inside-door-handle-pair-kit-uc677602-2 no clue if spline fits

there is a bunch on amazon and auction sites... but much more costly than what Awesomeness is proposing (there billet) NO clue if spline fits.

Dorman has a lot of potential products..... https://www.dormanproducts.com/c-270-door-handles-interior.aspx. .

One could find something they like in shape and size with approx. size hole for splines in handle (saw some auto seat adjusters that might work for 8 bucks) and in theory then:
. vaseline splines good. (and screw with it inserted)
. vaseline area around it or put masking tape.
. put liquid steel paste or favorite epoxy putty on shaft with screw installed
. Remove screw and with LONG screw or nail in hole cram the handle on it... Long screw or nail orr? in hole so not to fill the screw hole with putty.
. remove long screw or nail and install correct Screw with vaseline on it, snug it down tight
. Cleans excess and let dry.

Epoxy forms to splines?

or if yours has the metal part.. but the plastic is missing..... then form your own out of epoxy putty and once dry use wood rasp and sand paper to shape it before painting??

so far looks like Awesomes potential product is best for the money though

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, you could do all of those things. I also considered getting one 3D printed on a very high end machine (possibly even metal), and then using it as a master pattern to create molds to cast them out of rigid high-performance polyurethane. The question is how well plastics will hold up engaged to the splines. My thought is "not well", but I was surprised at how sturdy the 3D printed polyethylene part seemed to engage the splines. That's why I'm going to try it, and see. My guess is that it may work well in normal use, but may twist out the plastic splines in the type of situations that broke the door handles in the first place (e.g. kids kicked it, snagging the handle getting in/out, etc.).

That's why I'm still probably going to pursue the machined ones to permanently fix mine. I don't ever want to have to mess with them again (after this experiment).

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
16 splines. There is some variation on my measurements between the shafts and handles I have to measure, but I'm getting about Ø0.420" x 0.270" (Ø10.668mm x 6.858mm). Pretty goofy size.

I'm not really sure why you're trying to figure out what other handles are available though. I'm not debating that there are some. I just don't want pot-metal Volvo handles in my truck. I even bought a real FMTV handle to measure, but I'm not going to install it because it seems pretty obvious that they suck.

coachgeo

16 splines. There is some variation on my measurements between the shafts and handles I have to measure, but I'm getting about Ø0.420" x 0.270" (Ø10.668mm x 6.858mm). Pretty goofy size.

I'm not really sure why you're trying to figure out what other handles are available though. I'm not debating that there are some. I just don't want pot-metal Volvo handles in my truck. I even bought a real FMTV handle to measure, but I'm not going to install it because it seems pretty obvious that they suck.
Much thanks for the handle data.

Why you ask... pretty simple.... in here we have three sets of users for these trucks and a few whom sit somewhere in the middle.
1. Military Preservationist
2. Commercial truck applications
3. Expedition/Overland trucks.

My guess is everyone after number one does not give a crap about handle looking like what was OEM. Just want a functioning handle at a reasonable cost.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why you ask... pretty simple.... in here we have three sets of users...
Yeah, I know a lot of you are frugal, but that wasn't what my post was about. I was merely showing the handles I was making because I don't want easily breakable handles anymore, and I was asking if other people had missing or broken handles too. If a lot of people are missing the handles it's probably because the originals are cheap and fragile in the first place, so replacing them with other cheap and fragile handles puts you right back in the same boat. Someone who doesn't want to have to deal with broken handles again is a person that could be in any of your categories.

Besides, it's not like we're talking about $1000 here. It's an extra $20 per handle or something. Typically my time is worth more to me than that, and if one of you was selling nice upgrade handles for $50 I would just buy them and call it a day so I could spend that time doing something I wanted to do more. But nobody makes any yet, so I guess I have to do it myself, and I might as well share them.

coachgeo

Yeah, I know a lot of you are frugal, but that wasn't what my post was about. I was merely showing the handles I was making because I don't want easily breakable handles anymore, and I was asking if other people had missing or broken handles too. If a lot of people are missing the handles it's probably because the originals are cheap and fragile in the first place, so replacing them with other cheap and fragile handles puts you right back in the same boat. Someone who doesn't want to have to deal with broken handles again is a person that could be in any of your categories.

Besides, it's not like we're talking about $1000 here. It's an extra $20 per handle or something. Typically my time is worth more to me than that, and if one of you was selling nice upgrade handles for $50 I would just buy them and call it a day so I could spend that time doing something I wanted to do more. But nobody makes any yet, so I guess I have to do it myself, and I might as well share them.
You might recall I highlighted in bright yellow in my post, that what your hoping to be offering is probably the best solution and thanked you profusely for it.

granted...... maybe should have started a seperate thread though about other options instead of hijacking your thread specifically about your hopeful contribution.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just want to know if other people have missing / broken door handles like I do. The reason is that if it's not an issue for others, I can get these made as one-offs for (just a made up number) $150. But if I pay to have the necessary jigs/fixtures/tooling made/bought, it might cost me $500 (also made up) and then I can make many of them for $50/ea. To me it really doesn't matter, except that perhaps I get my handles for $50 too if there are a dozen other people (over the next year) that need some. If it's just me, I'll get mine made and be on my way. That's the reason I'm asking.

So are your trucks missing handles?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesomeness, your original post was clear and to the point, and you got an answer or two. Seems it's too tempting to pull a thread off course, as is happening much too often these days.

I don't need handles. Many have been available from scrapped trucks. I just had to ask around to find them.

I just want to know if other people have missing / broken door handles like I do. The reason is that if it's not an issue for others, I can get these made as one-offs for (just a made up number) $150. But if I pay to have the necessary jigs/fixtures/tooling made/bought, it might cost me $500 (also made up) and then I can make many of them for $50/ea. To me it really doesn't matter, except that perhaps I get my handles for $50 too if there are a dozen other people (over the next year) that need some. If it's just me, I'll get mine made and be on my way. That's the reason I'm asking.

So are your trucks missing handles?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, and good to know that your truck was missing them. It sounds like many trucks were originally missing them, which is curious because I don't remember many being broken or missing when I was in the Army. Maybe they just get pulled off before the truck is auctioned because it's a very quick fix/upgrade for another truck in the motor pool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks