• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won an M1083A1 - 1900 mile recovery trip soon! (ND to CA)

Recce01

Glad you are making progress Dan.... stay positive my friend, enjoy the ride :) Don't forget to pull off and enjoy 6X6 in mode. You will be pleasantly surprised. This is just as much an adventure as when you are loaded with an awesome expedition box. Real world experience, nothing beats that. Keep up the good fight brother, and don't forget to laugh and have fun :)

Rmtaunton

There is nothing better than driving one home unknown it’s a great adventure you will never forget , great luck and keep on trucking !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dxhend2

We're ready to start the journey now. Again, many thanks to Karl Kostman for his hospitality and assistance in getting us ready. We got the "spare" spares loaded in the back, and mounted a half-ton pickup truck crane at the back of the bed to move wheels in and out of the bed (modified it by adding an electric winch).

Changed out filters, fresh oil, lubed the joints, new windshield wipers, good inspection all over. A busy day in Karl's shop, and we got everything done as planned. Enjoyed the time we spent with Karl - a wealth of knowledge and a great friend. Got a photo of Karl driving our truck - enjoyable drive through the neighborhood.

On the road early in the morning; will keep this thread updated as we slowly head home, enjoying some great scenery along the way. We'll be heading west on I-94 from Fargo, ND to Butte, MT, then down I-15 the rest of the way through Idaho, Utah, and Nevada to California. If we're passing through any members neighborhood, we'd be glad to try to meet up.

sm20180815_105317.jpgsm20180815_111534.jpgsm20180815_153545.jpgsm20180815_175020.jpgsmIMAG5874a.jpgsmIMAG5878.jpg

dxhend2

We'll, stuck again, could use some tips from anyone familiar with the A1 series. Have power to the lights, NATO connector showing 24.8v, dash voltmeters showed in the green all day (both 12v meter and 24v meter).
Master power switch on dash gets no results. Have tried cycling the three switches behind the alternator, then the computer reset switch by driver's left knee. Still no starting power, dash stays day, no lights or alarms.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Dash stays day", what does this mean?

Check the solenoid by the batteries. Control power to it? Power out of it?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look for a device with heavy cables going in and out. It has been known to have intermittent connection issues.

dxhend2

Found it, initially reading zero volts. Will need to drop spare to get into it. Going to secure things for the night and get online for more research, pick up again at first light. Thanks!

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bypass it, it is intended to protect the circuits in the event that the batteries are hooked up backwards. I think you can "double lug" the cables on one side of the device.

dxhend2

NDT, thanks, we'll try that next at first light.

Was starting fine for the last two days, ran for a few hours today, stopped for fuel & lunch and shutdown. Went to start it again, master power switch on dash brought up all the dash lights, but no power for starter (didn't turn over - nothing happened when pushing the starer button). Turned off the master power switch, then turned it back on - this time the dash stayed dark (and no starter power).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Bit of advice. Especially with an unknown truck. when you are traveling. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER x 5 MILLION. SHUT YOUR TRUCK DOWN. This is what happens..... I don't care if you are getting fuel or taking a crap. Leave it running until you get home unless there is some type of emergency with the vehicle. It is not gonna hurt it to stay running. Especially if you are sleeping in it overnight or whatever else. Or you only shut it down when you get to a place of safety for the night like a hotel or somewhere with shelter. DO NOT shut it down at a rest area especially. You do not want to get stranded. Truck stops are debatable but never turn it off at a rest area. but if i were you, if you get the thing running again I would not shut it down until you get home. Period.

You will only burn about 1.5 gallons of fuel an hour per hour of idling. So do not about fuel consumption being great.

dxhend2

simp5782, thanks for that advice, we fully agree. Came to that conclusion today and have made plans to operate that way as soon as we're back up and running.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
simp5782, thanks for that advice, we fully agree. Came to that conclusion today and have made plans to operate that way as soon as we're back up and running.
I guess if the crap really hits the fan I have a spare M923 that is road worthy located in Dillon, MT, about an hour south of Butte. In the event you get that far and still have issues. I would pull your drivelines and towbar it to California behind it.

I leave my truck running for days and weeks on end when i am on the road in my M923. and i trust my truck to go anywhere and know it very well. Just don't turn it off. the low cost of the gallons of fuel every night is nothing like that of a wrecker bill.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The device under the spare is called the LBCD (Load Battery Control Device). Search that term under the FMTV forum will bring up what little is on the internet about that device. A post by suprman has a schematic.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bit of advice. Especially with an unknown truck. when you are traveling. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER x 5 MILLION. SHUT YOUR TRUCK DOWN. This is what happens..... I don't care if you are getting fuel or taking a crap. Leave it running until you get home unless there is some type of emergency with the vehicle. It is not gonna hurt it to stay running. Especially if you are sleeping in it overnight or whatever else. Or you only shut it down when you get to a place of safety for the night like a hotel or somewhere with shelter. DO NOT shut it down at a rest area especially. You do not want to get stranded. Truck stops are debatable but never turn it off at a rest area. but if i were you, if you get the thing running again I would not shut it down until you get home. Period.

You will only burn about 1.5 gallons of fuel an hour per hour of idling. So do not about fuel consumption being great.
This.

Although I shut down once daily when I stop at a motel. Other than that, I let any unproven truck run through fueling and meals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks