• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803a Overvoltage Problem

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am hoping the experts can help me on this problem I am having. I have gone through all the posts I can find on overvoltage and can't seem to get anywhere.

I have worked on the unit for the past two days and can't get past it. The TM goes through testing the voltage regulator and overvoltage relay but the units appears to have to be running to test these.

I have had this generator for a couple years and decided to fire it up. It started right up and had power at the outlet and lugs. I let it run for about 15 minutes and it stalled out with a overvoltage error. Now every time I start it up the unit it immediately goes to a overvoltage error and stalls out. If the idle is turned down the overvoltage does not appear but when I slowly turn the rpms up the hertz meter jumps from 55 to 60 and I get the error and it stalls out.

As I started to inspect the unit I found mice made a nest on top of TB3. I tore the control box off and cleaned out the nest. The mice did chew on four cables from the generator head to TB3. They also chewed 3 cables going to the grounds on the current transformer. I fixed the leads on the TB3 and spliced the cables to the transformer. I inspected all the cables on the entire unit and cannot find any other chewed cables or where a cable is shorted.

I have cleaned/worked the S8 & S6 switches with CRC cleaner but no luck.

The unit produces power at the receptacle and lugs will the battle switch turned on. Hoping for some suggestions to get me moving in the right direction? Thanks

jamawieb

If you're getting 120 volts at the outlet, that means the generator head is good. It's either the Overvoltage relay or Voltage regulator. Voltage comes into K4 (over voltage relay) and number 4 on the voltage regulator. It senses voltage on the black wire going to the 120 outlet.

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well just walked in from playing with it a bit more. I was able to put it in battle switch mode and adjust the hertz to 60 and turn down the pot on the VR. Turned off the battle switch and it stayed running. Turned off and restarted and no overvoltage fault. I will try again tomorrow and see if my luck holds out, if so I will put a load on it and see what happens.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you're getting 120 volts at the outlet, that means the generator head is good. It's either the Overvoltage relay or Voltage regulator. Voltage comes into K4 (over voltage relay) and number 4 on the voltage regulator. It senses voltage on the black wire going to the 120 outlet.

Dont forget the fault indicator. Every once in a while they go bad. And that's the kind of fault you get. I hope you have the quad modification on your set.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks