• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alum. matching door latch handle and window crank (NOT military match)

coachgeo

NOTE!!!! For OEM look and quality product; Awesomeness is looking into producing a great product for door handles.... see https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?180261-Who-needs-interior-door-handles
sounds like it is probably stronger in the long run than the below proposals and would be a fix it once deal.... instead of breaking again with use down the road.

. Volvo 240 Window Crank/door latch handle- has been reported a Volvo 240 80's era model looks similar to OEM widow crank. Can also be used for door opening handle. Came across them in tan blue and black at an auction site about 10 bucks each. Might can remove the window crank nob to give more of a door latch handle appearance? (Thank you Suprman for this info)

. Aftermarket aluminum handle (Crank and door)- appears below might work
  • 16 spline count adapter- according to measurements previously mentioned of 16 spline count and what appears close to a 7/16th shaft size ( Matters how you measure it?) 7/16th is apparently universal across auto manufactures for door and window handles in the past so odds look good? (thank you Awesomeness for your measurements)
  • square adapter.... appears the square shank used with door handles is also rather universal across auto manufactures. So again odds look good?

Order two if you want matching window crank and door opener? The knob for window cranking removes with a Cee clip leaving you a door handle look. can be found online using:
"Black Aluminum Car Manual Door Handle Cranks Window Winders Set 1/2" round 3/8" square 7/16" round with 16 splines (Pair)" they are less than 15 bucks / pair

amazondoorHandle.png
If you want a solid look.. fill gap with epoxy and repaint? Probably will add strength as well making them last longer.

Please post up handles you find that have or appear to probably work.

PS-contacted Dorman products and they had no way to search products by anything but auto make model and year for there products.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered a set of those, just to see how well they fit. I'm curious if this really is a 7/16" splined shaft on the window. For $13 it's worth finding out.

coachgeo

I ordered a set of those, just to see how well they fit. I'm curious if this really is a 7/16" splined shaft on the window. For $13 it's worth finding out.
got some coming too..... if fit; will probably go ahead and do the epoxy fill of gaps for I am sure these are cheap cast aluminum. Also getting universal electric window kit but want to mod them to be able to pop a hand crank on in case of electrical issues. Might not even mount the electric on driver side... more concerned with being able to lower passenger while driving etc.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power windows would be interesting. With how thin the doors are, I wonder if there's enough room in there to fit the motors?

Last edited:

coachgeo

Power windows would be interesting. With how think the doors are, I wonder if there's enough room in there to fit the motors?
some folk already done it in one of these trucks. One in video below at time shows to be not too successful. Year old report though. May have fixed by now. Have read other discussions on this and some have said the wires running long distance (aka to passenger side) need to be upped one gauge in thickness typically for it to work properly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lDtH-XNmb4

another thread here that mentions it (though well could be same person)

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?170338-LMTV-Switch-Sense-power-tap

Last edited:

BuiltMFG

I'm ordering the stuff for power windows next week... still gathering all the parts to make it happen. I'll put something together if it works out. I want to do door locks as well but the latches are finicky and don't want to let go sometimes.

coachgeo

c
I'm ordering the stuff for power windows next week... still gathering all the parts to make it happen. I'll put something together if it works out. I want to do door locks as well but the latches are finicky and don't want to let go sometimes.
yeah got elec. locks coming too.. but not so much for locking doors from the outside.... but more for not having to crawl over the middle to unlock the passenger after I am inside. Same reason for adding power windows. Will get the two door handles key matched and keys made before I use the power locks. No way am locking doors via power locks till that is done cause got no keys at all at this moment.

scottmandu

The LMTV doors have two ways of locking and one doesn't activate the other. The exterior lock prevents the door handle from activating the lock mechanism. The interior lock prevents the lock mechanism from operating.

NV555

sorry my priorities have not gotten to these mounted..... have you tried them yet?
they don’t work. They are loose one the other side. They need the set screws on 4 sides just not the one side. I sent the door one back for a refund. The China one well I’m stuck with. If you modified them to 4 point of retention they would work much better for awhile.

coachgeo

they don’t work. They are loose one the other side. They need the set screws on 4 sides just not the one side. I sent the door one back for a refund. The China one well I’m stuck with. If you modified them to 4 point of retention they would work much better for awhile.
The ones you tried same as ones shown earlier in this thread? Was yours put on window crank or door opener or both? Was ends you put them on square or splines?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Johno176

I bought the same sets a few years ago and they look pretty good until you try to install them. The fit is poor and the set screws do not hold everything together.

NV555

The ones you tried same as ones shown earlier in this thread? Was yours put on window crank or door opener or both? Was ends you put them on square or splines?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
yes same as your a universal kit. They would be great if you jb welded them however you would be stuck with them. Basically they are the same design just the handle is different.

I rate them a D-

coachgeo

yes same as your a universal kit. They would be great if you jb welded them however you would be stuck with them. Basically they are the same design just the handle is different. ...-
Not if you grease or wax the shank... same way your supposed to grease up a bolt before using JB weld as you turn it into a stripped out threaded hole.

B-Dog

If you guys are having trouble with the "hub" to the window crank interface... Probably, 15-ish years ago I installed power windows in a car and had to lock the crank and hub together because the fitment wasn't good enough. I just drilled a small hole all the way through the hub and crank and glued a pin in the hole.

coachgeo

I see now in the same internet order place, they have a similar type that cost few bucks more and has at least two set screws that hold into the adapter where the original discussed has only one. Note though on both types the set screws do not work by snugging against the inner adapter, they actually screw into the adapter. On either; looks like more holes could be drilled and tapped since the adapter itself has four holes pre tapped, if desired to go that route instead of epoxying the adapter into inside of handle.
Screenshot from 2018-09-25 12:23:09.jpg

Last edited:

Milspec2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I noticed this post going on, with a lot of technical bits. The CCUV window handles fit perfectly for the window crank, they also will work for the door handle, though they have to be ground or filed down a bit for the lock ring to hold them in place on the door handle as it is shallower shaft. mid 80 chevy truck manual window handles, found at most parts stores and readily available. Since the Military mind likes things to work on everything, it only makes sense.

coachgeo

I noticed this post going on, with a lot of technical bits. The CCUV window handles fit perfectly for the window crank, they also will work for the door handle, though they have to be ground or filed down a bit for the lock ring to hold them in place on the door handle as it is shallower shaft. mid 80 chevy truck manual window handles, found at most parts stores and readily available. Since the Military mind likes things to work on everything, it only makes sense.
there is two types on the FMTV.... newer have a square post.... previous have 16pt splined post. Thusly is your info for those with splined or square post?

Milspec2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a 94 LMTV, so probably old, splined. I grabbed a spare CCUV handle and it fit on both window and door shafts. Again the door shaft is shorter, so the handle will fit on the shafts but won't go on far enough for the lock ring to settle in place and hold it there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks