• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV radio measurement assist.

GI Joe94

I am wanting to build a “mock” radio set for my ‘93 M998. I plan to build it as a 12v accessory control center, and make it appear as legit of a radio as possible.

Will one of you awesome peoples Please get me exterior measurements and some multi angle pics of the AN/VRC-12, and/or the Sincgars? I believe these are the two most probable models for my rig.

I don’t have the funds to buy an actual radio set and modify it, so this is the best option for me.

This is most appreciated.

papakb

An RT-246 or 524 is 6 x 12 x 16 and weighs 62 pounds.

Buy a gutted unit and change it to what you want. At least it will look military.

You can download the manuals for the VRC-12 radios from the Radionerds forum and they will have nice line drawings of the radios you can work from. They'll be better than pictures.

Last edited:

GI Joe94

An RT-246 or 524 is 6 x 12 x 16 and weighs 62 pounds.
Buy a gutted unit and change it to what you want. At least it will look military.
You can download the manuals for the VRC-12 radios from the Radionerds forum and they will have nice line drawings of the radios you can work from. They'll be better than pictures.
Thank you for the info. Pardon my ignorance, but I am completely out of my area on this radio gear. I have no idea how the RT-246 or 524 relate to a VRC12...
I’ve gotten a price on a Non-op unit, and it was Way out of my budget, thus my search for a way to do it “out of the box”.... I’ve not found any gutted units for sale, would you happen to have any leads? Radionerds doesn’t have anything available for hardware. I have looked through their site and have seen the plethora of info available!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the info. Pardon my ignorance, but I am completely out of my area on this radio gear. I have no idea how the RT-246 or 524 relate to a VRC12...
I’ve gotten a price on a Non-op unit, and it was Way out of my budget, thus my search for a way to do it “out of the box”.... I’ve not found any gutted units for sale, would you happen to have any leads? Radionerds doesn’t have anything available for hardware. I have looked through their site and have seen the plethora of info available!
So...how much they asking ?
Whats your budget ?

GI Joe94

My quote thus far was $500+ for a nOn-op unit. Just the big piece(RX?)...I’d end up gutting most of it, so the internal bits wouldn’t be of value to me, where they could be to that particular seller. Then I’d still need to find the smaller unit(TX?, I haven’t had the time to read up and learn what the different boxes do...) My budget is MUCH lower than that, thus my odd request to try and mock something up... either way, I’m sure I’ll be improvising a Lot to get this thing done.

So...how much they asking ?
Whats your budget ?

GI Joe94

Oh, and while I’m at it, I’d also be interested in an unusable antenna to mount on my rear fender. There is a mount in place already, But I haven’t a clue what style antenna it’s designed for... I’m a major Newb when it comes to this Army equipment. I’m a spoiled USAF guy, so cut me a little slack! ��

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A home made radio is going to look like heck and by the time you build it, paint it, and compare it to a real one.....lost time , money, and
People will say...Whats up with that ?
The TX/RX together on the radio mount would be a RT-524.
Its big.
I posted below your original post I had one available.....gutted.
Try to build that for less than $ 300
DSC_000934.JPG
DSC_000933.JPG

GI Joe94

I’m having issue reading between the lines of your posts... are you offering this setup for sale? And where does the “try to build that for less than $300” come into play? Is that you’re asking price?

I don’t do well with hints. If you’re offering an item, please be more direct with it, it’ll make things Much easier!

A home made radio is going to look like heck and by the time you build it, paint it, and compare it to a real one.....lost time , money, and
People will say...Whats up with that ?
The TX/RX together on the radio mount would be a RT-524.
Its big.
I posted below your original post I had one available.....gutted.
Try to build that for less than $ 300
View attachment 735490
View attachment 735491

BLK HMMWV

I doubt your going to find one for less then $300 . Let alone with some cables and a mounting tray.
even gutted it's still heavy and you will end up paying shipping.
86humv has probably sold more hard to find stuff then anyone on this forum . At least he has a lot of my money.
Your other option is a newer SINGARS classroom training unit. They are plastic . But they are kind of a rare find in themselves.
then your going to need all the mounts for it.
Id start out making something homemade to start with until you figure out exactly what your final look or want is.
once you pick a radio then you need to find the matching antenna for it other wise it's going to look homemade .
If your going with an Ipod or stereo just find a large ammo can and build or put everything in it.
HMMWV restoration / OEM type kit or equipment isn't for those on a budget unless your a trust fund baby.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks