Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70

Thread: Civilian wheel cylinders

  1. #1
    Sergeant Major sgms18's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    North Augusta SC
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 65 Times in 30 Posts

    Default Civilian wheel cylinders

    I have read several posts saying WC4419 will work on the deuce. Is there any difference between these wheel cylinders & the ones you get from the surplus places? Is one of higher quality than the other?
    1972 AM General M35A2

  2. #2
    4 Star General porkysplace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    mid- michigan
    Posts
    8,684
    Thanks
    5,900
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,576 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sgms18 View Post
    I have read several posts saying WC4419 will work on the deuce. Is there any difference between these wheel cylinders & the ones you get from the surplus places? Is one of higher quality than the other?
    Generally the ones the surplus places have , have been sitting in a warehouse for 30 years if they are military surplus.
    The part numbers are in the quick reference sheet in the stickies.

    Edit; I bought some several years ago from Equipment parts company that were "NOS" and they were so rusted and pitted they were not even rebuiildable and of course no returns no refunds.
    Last edited by porkysplace; 07-22-2018 at 09:16.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to porkysplace For This Useful Post:

    silverstate55 (07-23-2018)

  4. #3
    4 Star General tobyS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Rochester, Indiana
    Posts
    3,627
    Thanks
    1,857
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 903 Posts

    Default

    I'm not sure, but I think my 73 Ford F600 4x4 has the same.

    Check this out;

    www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/MC/96359-07158867.html?utm_content=MC&utm_term=1980-1983+Ford+F600+Wheel+Cylinder+Centric+Front+Left+8 0-83+Ford+Wheel+Cylinder+81+1981&utm_source=google&u tm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gc lid=EAIaIQobChMIsNWIlOqy3AIVB49pCh3osgeQEAkYAiABEg KUwfD_BwE&ad=47362750812

    Edit...no sorry, they look different. I'll take a picture and add it. I have a NOS Rockwell for my truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tobyS; 07-22-2018 at 09:56.

  5. #4
    4 Star General tobyS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Rochester, Indiana
    Posts
    3,627
    Thanks
    1,857
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 903 Posts

    Default

    On a side note, I'm getting rust and probably a dry cup. I'll bring them in the house put a bit of brake fluid in them and primer paint them.

    The wheel cylinder above is a Wagner FD-3087.
    Last edited by tobyS; 07-22-2018 at 10:09.

  6. #5
    4 Star General tobyS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Rochester, Indiana
    Posts
    3,627
    Thanks
    1,857
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 903 Posts

    Default

    Put this title into ebay.

    NEW WHEEL CYLINDER FOR 2.5 TON M35A2

    C& C is a vendor here.

  7. #6
    Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuce Doctor. Steel Soldiers Vendor clinto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Athens, Ga.
    MVPA
    21731
    Posts
    12,384
    Thanks
    1,222
    Thanked 6,475 Times in 2,246 Posts

    Default

    Yes, there is a difference.

    Look at this wheel cylinder spring:

    s-l1600.jpg

    Now look at this wheel cylinder spring:

    5388fcf6-71b7-4832-8c78-830494809e3e-10202015-cropped-522d.jpg

    Notice how the first (top) pictured spring has straight ends but the second (bottom) is tapered on the end?

    The second (bottom) spring is what's correct and what you need and it's what the Napa 4419s have.

    That tapering on the end of the spring pushes out on the wheel cylinder cups and keeps them sealed against the bore of the wheel cylinder. If you have the standard springs, the wheel cylinders won't leak but if the truck sits they'll let air in.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Click here for the Deuce Doctor-MV Servicing and Sales

    Click here for the Official 2018 Georgia Rally info thread!


    Having a problem searching or finding something on the site? Click here for help!

    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    MVPA #21731
    1968 Baifield M274A5 Mule
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 w/w w/dump conversion
    1987 AM General USAF M35A2C w/w
    1987 Turtle Mountain M105A2

  8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to clinto For This Useful Post:

    Floridianson (07-23-2018), frank8003 (01-04-2019), M813rc (07-22-2018), porkysplace (07-22-2018), SCSG-G4 (07-22-2018), sgms18 (07-22-2018), silverstate55 (07-23-2018), TGP (IL) (07-22-2018), tobyS (07-22-2018)

  9. #7
    4 Star General tobyS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Rochester, Indiana
    Posts
    3,627
    Thanks
    1,857
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 903 Posts

    Default

    Yea clinto...and a good price too. I like the NAPA paint job they show on their website, gloss black, but does it come that way?

  10. #8
    Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuce Doctor. Steel Soldiers Vendor clinto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Athens, Ga.
    MVPA
    21731
    Posts
    12,384
    Thanks
    1,222
    Thanked 6,475 Times in 2,246 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tobyS View Post
    Yea clinto...and a good price too. I like the NAPA paint job they show on their website, gloss black, but does it come that way?
    No, they're bare metal with a very thin layer of cosmoline (so thin it might as well be WD40).

    I paint all the wheel cylinders I install to keep them from rusting.

    The WWII halftrack takes the same 4419 as the M44 series, this is a set I just installed.


    20180227_160309.jpg20180227_160311.jpg20180228_073234.jpg20180228_162945.jpg20180228_162948.jpg20180228_163124.jpg20180228_163231.jpg20180228_164108.jpg20180228_164113.jpg20180228_164122.jpg
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Click here for the Deuce Doctor-MV Servicing and Sales

    Click here for the Official 2018 Georgia Rally info thread!


    Having a problem searching or finding something on the site? Click here for help!

    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    MVPA #21731
    1968 Baifield M274A5 Mule
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 w/w w/dump conversion
    1987 AM General USAF M35A2C w/w
    1987 Turtle Mountain M105A2

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clinto For This Useful Post:

    gringeltaube (07-23-2018), silverstate55 (07-23-2018), tobyS (07-22-2018)

  12. #9
    Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuce Doctor. Steel Soldiers Vendor clinto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Athens, Ga.
    MVPA
    21731
    Posts
    12,384
    Thanks
    1,222
    Thanked 6,475 Times in 2,246 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by porkysplace View Post
    Generally the ones the surplus places have , have been sitting in a warehouse for 30 years if they are military surplus.
    The part numbers are in the quick reference sheet in the stickies.

    Edit; I bought some several years ago from Equipment parts company that were "NOS" and they were so rusted and pitted they were not even rebuiildable and of course no returns no refunds.

    I bought these NOS cylinders for a halftrack. This is how they showed up. To use these, you'd have to sandblast and hone them to get all the corrosion out.

    20180110_175032.jpg20180110_175218.jpg20180110_182414.jpg20180110_182944.jpg20180110_182951.jpg
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Click here for the Deuce Doctor-MV Servicing and Sales

    Click here for the Official 2018 Georgia Rally info thread!


    Having a problem searching or finding something on the site? Click here for help!

    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    MVPA #21731
    1968 Baifield M274A5 Mule
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 w/w w/dump conversion
    1987 AM General USAF M35A2C w/w
    1987 Turtle Mountain M105A2

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clinto For This Useful Post:

    rtk (07-22-2018), silverstate55 (07-23-2018), tobyS (07-22-2018)

  14. #10
    Sergeant Major sgms18's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    North Augusta SC
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 65 Times in 30 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clinto View Post
    Yes, there is a difference.

    Look at this wheel cylinder spring:

    s-l1600.jpg

    Now look at this wheel cylinder spring:

    5388fcf6-71b7-4832-8c78-830494809e3e-10202015-cropped-522d.jpg

    Notice how the first (top) pictured spring has straight ends but the second (bottom) is tapered on the end?

    The second (bottom) spring is what's correct and what you need and it's what the Napa 4419s have.

    That tapering on the end of the spring pushes out on the wheel cylinder cups and keeps them sealed against the bore of the wheel cylinder. If you have the standard springs, the wheel cylinders won't leak but if the truck sits they'll let air in.
    This was one of my main concerns. Im no wheel cylinder engineer but I can definitely see where the tapered spring would seal better. Its good to know the NAPA part uses the correct spring.

    Man some of those NOS wheel cylinders look like garbage! I don't know how people could sell stuff like that & still sleep at night.
    1972 AM General M35A2

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •