• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from Sacranento with chipped 4th gear!

Bisdale

New from Sacramento with chipped 4th gear!

Hello everyone! I bought a m35a2 about a year ago and have recently started overhauling it. Leaking axel fixes and fluid changes along with a few other things.

I drained my spicer and found 17 teeth from my countershaft 4th gear have been chipped in half. Does anyone have a donor spicer I can buy or the countershaft 4th gear? I couldn't find any gears or overhaul kits for sale other than the overdrive upgrade, which doesn't have a 4th gear replacement. Rebuilt units run for 2000+ and I would like to avoid that if I can.

I have also been unable to find any good walk throughs of rebuilding one of these spicers. I've never rebuilt a manual gear box but I've recently rebuilt a 4l60e automatic so, how hard can it really be? I hear the hard part is getting the lump out of the truck and back in.

Here's the twist; I want to have the truck road ready by mid August of this year (2018). I have no problem driving 300+ miles to get what I need so west coast gear heads let me know what you have!

I'm not the best at this forum navigation but I'm sure I'll get better with time. Anyone know how to post pictures? Thanks!

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome , can't help you with parts , but here is a link to the TM's for the transmission.

TM9-2520-246-34-1.pdf
TM9-2520-246-34-1 Direct Support and General Support Maintenance manual for Transmission 3053A.

TM9-2520-246-34P.pdf
TM9-2520-246-34P Direct Support and General Support Maintenance Transmissions, Transfers, PTO's.

The rest of the deuce TM's can be downloaded here;
[h=1]TM's for the Deuce[/h]

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard from Nevada. Bisdale, the TMs will take you step by step through the re build process. Also if your going to have the transmission out, check your clutch pressure plate, clutch disk, throw out bearing etc., while you've got it apart. SS member BigMike may have a take out transmission at his shop. He's in Dixion CA. You might send him a PM.

Bisdale

Tracer, is this BigMike different from the Big Mike's motor pool? I think someone local told me about a SS handle "BigMike" who is local to cali and different from Big Mike's motor pool.

Gimpyrobb, I'll send you a message.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes he's different. Big Mike's Motor Pool is in New Jersey. Steel Soldiers BigMike is in Dixon, CA. If he doesn't have a trans, he might know some one local who does. Bisdale, the MVCC (Military Vehicle Collectors of California) has a Military Vehicle Gathering coming up this September 17-23, at Tower Park in Lodi, CA. We'll have about 150 Military Vehicles, MVs for sale, and lots of parts. We also have a larger Gathering in April. Lot's of Fun!!! Check the MVCC website for pics.

teletech

I'd drive out to Baker,CA and see what Marcel has tying around. He's difficult to deal with and pretty self-serve, but it won't break the bank and he has many dozens of trucks and acres of parts.
PM me if you need contact info.
Good luck.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks