• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151 - Possible first MV?

MudMarine

No, right now I'm keeping my options open and eyes peeled for something cool. My first choice would be a 5 Ton or a HMMWV with an on road title (Don't ban me please Mods! I'm not trying to stir that pot) but at the time my budget is pretty limited so I think those are just a bit out of reach. Not to mention that I don't have much of a good use for them other than to appreciate their cool factors.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would want it for what it is.
So is the consensus that this IS a FAV? I know the FAV add-ons were kinda homemade looking, but the roll bar/gun mount on this one looks weird. Also does not have those different wheels. This is a USMC vehicle though.

MudMarine

So is the consensus that this IS a FAV? I know the FAV add-ons were kinda homemade looking, but the roll bar/gun mount on this one looks weird. Also does not have those different wheels. This is a USMC vehicle though.
Unfortunately I never got to check it out in person to take more photos. Maybe FrankUSMC knows more since someone he works with knew the jeep before it went to up for sale. I posted a link to the listing that had a few more photos, just in case you did see that. Dono if it'll help though.

Even if it was a clone, I probably would've kept up with that motif. Sounded like the guy made some pretty permanent changes like welding over the windshield frame that would've been costly for me to undo. sadly its a mute point now though since I didn't move fast enough.

FrankUSMC

The Marine FAVs I saw, no two were alike...everything home made. With that being said, this one just does not look correct from the pictures. In Jacksonville was a great guy and Marine who rented vehicles to movie companies. He passed away a couple of years ago, and all of his vehicles sold off. Could this be one of his vehicles made up for a movie? I know he did have FAV parts off of Marine jeeps that were destroyed.
Mudmarine, I have been collecting military vehicles sense around 1975, and did 20 years in the greatest gun club in the world. My Old Marine advice to you is get a small military vehicle that you can move when you get orders, or would be easy to store. A 5 ton is great, but if you get orders, what do you do with it?....been there done that.
If you are in Newport, stop by, I will put on a fresh pot of coffee.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

MudMarine

I'll definitely hit you up.

I've always wanted a Duece, almost bought one in highschool before my mom stopped my dad and I. To me the 5-ton looks even cooler so naturally now I want one of those. Worst case, my dad has a place I could park it and he'd LOVE to drive it around especially in his neighborhood in Decatur GA.

One of the main reasons why I wanted an on road HMMWV is that I want to turn it into my tow rig. A guy here in NC runs a company called Vice Unlimited and his HMMWV inspired me. He has removed the old 150ish horsepower NA Detroit motor and replaced it with a turbo'd 5.9 Cummins and that is probably my personal perfect MV. On road useful, MV cool, best of both worlds and in theory I'd be able to bring it with me when I PCS again. I just got here so in theory I have 3 years to make this happen and if I'm being real with myself, that's probably not long enough haha

I've considered doing the same with a CUCV which is at least in theory a little closer starting point to a road legal and reliable.

FrankUSMC

If you go to face book, we are still putting the page together, put go to Normandy Military museum. This what I do every Saturday with about 5 Marines from MCAS Cherry point under thee single Marine program.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks