• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steelsoldiers’ Big M37B1 Project

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, I went and did it over the weekend. I bought a 1962 M37B1 from a fellow SS member here in West Virginia. I’ve been hankering for a new MV for a long time, and when this one showed up on Craig’s List, it looked like just the ticket! It currently runs and drives, but doesn’t stop. It has some rust in some of the usual spots like the tool boxes and the rocker panels, but the body is in pretty good shape overall.

I’m planning on taking it to some off road rallies next year like Haspin and Rausch Creek, so I’m going to be focusing on getting the running gear in top condition. I’m going to do power front and rear disc brakes, power steering, a rear locker, and some bigger tires on the stock rims. That and a good tuneup on everything else should be a good start.

I’ll be sure to post lots of pics and details as this project progresses. Here are some “Before” pics to get things started!

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it was USMC, has the rear lifting brackets installed. Those are hard to find.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
:funny: .... Yeah, I believe this is the guy who started it all - and then almost vanished...!:)

Chris, glad to find you here, more often!
Who? Oh yeah... that guy! LOL. Thanks. It’s good to be back with you guys.

Looks like it was USMC, has the rear lifting brackets installed. Those are hard to find.
Oh wow. I hadn’t even noticed that yet. The previous owner said he bought it with some kind of homemade air tank front bumper on it, so he just swapped it out for one he had laying around. I’ll have to weld some paper clips on it to make it look more official.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Cant wait to get some haspin mud on it. Looks like a fun project. Putting a Cummins 2.8 in it?

Bwaaaahahahahaha

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cant wait to get some haspin mud on it. Looks like a fun project. Putting a Cummins 2.8 in it?
Bwaaaahahahahaha
Awww yeah. It’ll be like old times.

You know me. I can’t resist an engine swap, but I’ll be sticking with the stock straight 6 for now. I think all it needs is a carb rebuild, a water pump, and a Pertronix ignition kit.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Must run pretty good to push the Dodge and pull the trailer! LOL

Good to see you here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm a newbie, but I've heard ya mentioned before.
See the Chaplain, he'll get ya squared away on where to store your gear!

LOL

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Must run pretty good to push the Dodge and the pull the trailer! LOL

Good to see you here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm a newbie, but I've heard ya mentioned before.
See the Chaplain, he'll get ya squared away on where to store your gear!

LOL
Ha! Thanks, Tony! Good to meet you. Lots of new members here since I was last on regularly. I’ve got some catching up to do!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awww yeah. It’ll be like old times.

You know me. I can’t resist an engine swap, but I’ll be sticking with the stock straight 6 for now. I think all it needs is a carb rebuild, a water pump, and a Pertronix ignition kit.
You could always make it a real screamer with a 4 cylinder Detroit. There was one set up with one at the Clare Mi show at General Jims last year .

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You could always make it a real screamer with a 4 cylinder Detroit. There was one set up with one at the Clare Mi show at General Jims last year .
That was a good looking truck! I like how they tucked that Screamin Jimmy in there. I bet that thing howled going down the road!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the good thing is parts are everywhere. I wound up replacing a lot more than I expected on mine, but I did go kind of overboard......

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was a good looking truck! I like how they tucked that Screamin Jimmy in there. I bet that thing howled going down the road!
A couple guys have put 3-53s from Gama Goats in. Supposedly a nicer fit and the aluminum block engine is easier on the front end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks