• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from Illinois

FireStar

Hello all! I just found this site while searching for M781 and M782 trailers for sale to see what the prices where like, and I decided to register, even though I didn't find what I was looking for. I am currently getting ready to do my last year of high school before I go to basic training after graduation for my states national guard. After those ten weeks, I shall spend six weeks training to become an 88M! Now, I'm not quite ready to own an MV yet, but I was looking at getting an AM General M915 out of Colorado later on an maybe an M871 trailer if I can find one. Which brings me to a question.

Would an M915 be a good truck for pulling a hopper trailer intrastate? At max I would be going 60-65 mph. And maybe I would get a M871 to do some light flatbed hauling with. So? What do you guys think? I doubt there'll be many amenities inside but that's the way I like it.

May diesel reign supreme!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Kentucky, I'm a former Illinois boy. As for your question, a M915 would fit the bill for your needs. They are designed as a line haul, should be pretty comfy inside. You may get spoiled driving the newer trucks in your unit.
Stay safe.
JC

FireStar

Thanks for the welcome! The one's I'm looking at in Colorado look clean and solid, but I asked my dad about it and he says that they weren't really geared for fuel efficiency. Anyone know what kind of miles per gallon they get? Or rather miles per ton of freight? (Should I be asking this in another place on the forum?)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Member Fuzzytoaster has a nice m915a1 in Dallas for sale. I have a bigger variant in a 916 in Nashville. Runs 61 down the highway with 11r24s on it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the welcome! The one's I'm looking at in Colorado look clean and solid, but I asked my dad about it and he says that they weren't really geared for fuel efficiency. Anyone know what kind of miles per gallon they get? Or rather miles per ton of freight? (Should I be asking this in another place on the forum?)
Welcome to SS , the other you need to look at is unless you have some really good contacts it hard to get work other than locally for older trucks .

FireStar

Thanks for the welcomes guys! Around here, getting a job with an older truck running local isn't a problem. Most guys run older trucks, and newer trucks are few and far between.

I did manage to find a thread on the forum with a quick Google search for specs and came up with this.
Most guys guage it at 5-7 MPG (6 at 65 MPH), which is about what most oldish civ rigs get anyways, they've got 4.44 or 4.33 rears, can reach 70 "depending on how far into the firewall your foot is", I know the ones im looking at have the Allison 5 speed, but others may have a CAT 16 speed or an Allison 4 speed. My ultimate plan is to change the rear gear ratio to 3.55 or something similar and stick an Eaton 13 speed in it, because I love my manuals. Only question is how feasable it is.

But, based on what I have seen, a good ole M915 will be just perfect for my first few years of driving. Not like I'll need to go faster than 65 anyway. (Although I may have to invest in a salvaged air ride seat...)

Link to the thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?81398-M915A1-Info

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome FireStar from Missouri. Get settled in and as you see and FEEL the iron. You can get a better look at what and how you can use, and the cost involved.

There is a thread on est. cost of just owning different MV's. Hopefully a member can post it up, and give you an idea of just the legal cost of tagging and insurance.

Again Welcome!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks