• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identifying wires by there 'code' - Is there a way to reverse look-up?

AKAustria

Hi SS's!
I have been jumping into this really quick and... I am loving it!
It's kind of a little bit a hate-love thing to be honest, but most definitely 90% a 'love' thing!

I have been digging into both of my year 2000 1083A1's for the past weeks (whenever I have a chance), and one thing amongst A LOT of things I am wondering about...

Is there a way to identify a wire by it's designation? I am talking about the little metal clip which I have found on almost every single (end of a) wire, near a connector.

These little designators might just be that, but it appears by reading through the repair manuals (TM), that the correspond to those.

Now! Is there a easy way to go by looking up that 'code'?!

Any help appreciated, greatly appreciated!

AKAustria

Does this help? Should be what your metal tags correspond with.

Cheers

PS- If you see a black box instead of a picture, click on it, it is a PDF
That is EXACTLY what I was after!!!! ****!!!! This is incredible! I love it!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

This should be in the TM section... unless, it is and I just missed it!

Just curious... do they work for all types of trucks or is this list for the FMTV only?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All US Military vehicles use the exact same wire codes. Some wires are specific to a single type of vehicle, as you may find if you bother to read all the codes (or just need something to help you fall asleep).

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This should be in the TM section... unless, it is and I just missed it!
I'm a little confused by this whole post. Take this example...

I'm looking at the coolant temperature sensor switch. It has a metal tag, marked "P41". If I look that up in the reference charts in the wiring diagram section of TM 9-2320-365-20-3 it says "WATER TEMPERATURE SENSOR". But this military wiring code PDF says 41 is "INTERPHONE #1" (clearly not it).

Are there other numbers on metal tags on the wires near connectors? Was the original post talking about something else? What am I misunderstanding here?

LMTVWireTagReference.jpg

spankybear

I'm a little confused by this whole post. Take this example...

I'm looking at the coolant temperature sensor switch. It has a metal tag, marked "P41". If I look that up in the reference charts in the wiring diagram section of TM 9-2320-365-20-3 it says "WATER TEMPERATURE SENSOR". But this military wiring code PDF says 41 is "INTERPHONE #1" (clearly not it).

Are there other numbers on metal tags on the wires near connectors? Was the original post talking about something else? What am I misunderstanding here?

View attachment 735504
I believe the "P" in P41 means it a connector (Plug). there is also "TL" like on the starter TL for terminal lug. They is also "J" for connector... I believe that it jack or what the P plugs into...

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly. 41 and P41 are two completely separate identifiers
Ok, so how do I utilize the info from that master wiring code list? The tag on this coolant sensor is P41. It's the only metal tag on it I see. I don't understand where those master wiring code numbers are written, or how they come into play.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wiring codes only apply to the wires themselves, not the connectors on the ends, or to the parts they are attached to. Each plug has it's own code name, depending on how many wires it connects at the same time, and what size the wires are, and how the plug stays connected to whatever it attaches to. They are two completely separate sets of codes.

coachgeo

we are slowly deciphering this. Maybe if one with knowledge would offer up an example that would help? For example this P41 tag being spoke of. If you saw that tag...... and wanted to use list of code(s) to find out more about it...... where would one start? My guess is there is a chart for P's as in plugs and you would start there?

AKAustria

we are slowly deciphering this. Maybe if one with knowledge would offer up an example that would help? For example this P41 tag being spoke of. If you saw that tag...... and wanted to use list of code(s) to find out more about it...... where would one start? My guess is there is a chart for P's as in plugs and you would start there?
OK!
My question is - How can a wire which has a metal clip with a number at the end by the plug of any sort have a different meaning?!
A wire can only go to/from somewhere, i.e. battery to starter relais.. right!?
If a ‘P’ stands for plug, which would make sense, and no letter would describe a wire only...
I will look into it some more and come up with some examples (photos)

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I think there are two different things being talked about here. This is my interpretation of this conversation now...

The original poster was asking about the metal tags on the wires, which are like the "P41" on my coolant temp sensor. That has nothing to do with the wiring codes mentioned. To answer CoachGeo, if you have a gizmo in hand with a metal tag on it, such as "P41" you look it up in the back of the TM on the page I posted an image of, and that page is like an index (pointing to the sheet of the wiring diagram where you will find the gizmo wired).

I've never seen these other wiring codes yet, in person. Maybe they are printed on tags on the harnesses, or on the wires themselves (though most just seem like they are black in my truck).

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The metal wire ID tags can represent a wire (single conductor), jack (connector with single or multiple conductors) or a plug (connector with single or multiple conductors). So it is possible to have multiple wires with ID tags converging on a single connector with a separate ID tag. The master Military Wire ID Tag Codes list is a helpful general reference, but the electrical schematic for the specific vehicle should be the primary reference.

The electrical schematics (and other schematics for hydraulics, air, etc.) are in the fold-out or center-fold section typically found at the very end of the technical manual. The fold-out schematics may not be listed in the table of contents or index.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I am now somewhat confused on who is asking what.

For clarification - the chart I provided in post #2 lists standard military wiring harness wire tags.
These numbers should be the same for any US military vehicle (I say should because there are always oddities that crop up).

If you look at the picture attached here, get the numbers off the metal (or yellow plastic) tags, the chart will tell you the purpose of these wires.

You will notice that two of the wires have double tags. A bit hard to read in the photo, but they are 22-460 and 22-461.
If you look up 22 on the chart, it tells you these are the Service Stop Lamp wires.
460 tells you Turn Indicator Circuit, Right Service.
is the same for Left.
(Separate power to these is what gives you turn signals, simultaneous power gives brake lights/flashers).

This particular photo is the new pigtail connector I made for my FHT (Humvee 5th-wheel shelter carrier) trailer, and has a couple of wires not usually seen on a trailer connector.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks