• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'86 CUCV 1009 -Left rear upper bracket - shock

biped

The shock didn't break but it came loose because the bracket broke in half. To date I have been unable to find replacement. I want to drop fuel tank and bust off the 4 rivets and install another bracket.....if I could find one. Napa, Auto Zone and LMC Truck are a no-go. Junk yard is starting to look pretty good. Is this bracket same for K30 and K5? Any other Chevy's same? Bracket mounts to top of frame.

Driving the truck seems okay w/out shock on left rear. I'm not carrying a load right now.

Biped

cucvrus

I have that bracket. I am sure of that. Send a picture of exactly what it is that you need. I hope I can help out. I have parted out several CUCV frames from all variants and kept the cross members and brackets from every one.

someoldmoose

I have that bracket. I am sure of that. Send a picture of exactly what it is that you need. I hope I can help out. I have parted out several CUCV frames from all variants and kept the cross members and brackets from every one.
Was just gonna post that if cucvrus didn't have it or know where to get it then it can't be had. If memory serves, all the GM rear shock brackets ( C and K with leaf springs ) are the same for the side they're on. They used the same staggered set-up since '72.

biped

I looked at that. i's a reinforcement not a replacement. You've got to have original bracket. These are prone to failure and this bracket is supposed to keep original from breaking. Thanks for the post. I'm on the trail of another "substitute" bracket thru Fly-N-Hi Offroad shop.

Biped

biped

Cucvrus, I'm still coming up empty. The 2nd picture in the post before yours is the bracket, the one with the blue shock. You'd have to grind off 4 bolts to get it off. I'm good for buying it if you can get it off. I don't know how to post pictures but I've got some I can forward to you if you've got an email I can use.

Biped

MarcusOReallyus

Better ask at a junkyard dealer, or better yet, take cucvrus up on his offer. Lots of us have done business with him, and I haven't heard a complaint yet.

biped

I'm ready to get it done. If Cucvrus has the part and I've got the money.

Some of info I've gotten indicates this particular point on frame is subject to cracking. If I can get a bracket I will install a reinforcing kit.

Biped

cucvrus

Be it sight, sound, the smell, the touch.
There's something,
Inside that we need so much,
The sight of a touch, or the scent of a sound,
Or the strength of an arquebus deep in the ground.
The wonder of flowers, to be covered, and then to burst up,
through tarmack, to the sun again,
Or to fly to the sun without burning a wing,
To lie in the meadow and hear the grass sing,
To have all these things in our memories hoard,
And to use them,
To help us, I will help you out on this. I need a nice set of expired Texas license plates for the trouble. If that works send them to me.
Richard E. Engle Sr.
523 Jonestown Road
Jonestown PA 17038

And so I have this straight you only need the small angular bracket on top of the right frame rail at the rear. Where the top eye of the shock absorber bolts on. You can bolt it back in place. But you are going to have a dog of a time getting the rivets out of that frame attached to the body. Just making you aware of that. I hope you have some good torching skills. You are going to need them. Be safe. Wear the proper PPE. Have a spotter that is paying attention not googling and Facebooking while you are torching.

dougco1

Be it sight, sound, the smell, the touch.
There's something,
Inside that we need so much,
The sight of a touch, or the scent of a sound,
Or the strength of an arquebus deep in the ground.
The wonder of flowers, to be covered, and then to burst up,
through tarmack, to the sun again,
Or to fly to the sun without burning a wing,
To lie in the meadow and hear the grass sing,
To have all these things in our memories hoard,
And to use them,
To help us, I will help you out on this. I need a nice set of expired Texas license plates for the trouble. If that works send them to me.
Richard E. Engle Sr.
523 Jonestown Road
Jonestown PA 17038

And so I have this straight you only need the small angular bracket on top of the right frame rail at the rear. Where the top eye of the shock absorber bolts on. You can bolt it back in place. But you are going to have a dog of a time getting the rivets out of that frame attached to the body. Just making you aware of that. I hope you have some good torching skills. You are going to need them. Be safe. Wear the proper PPE. Have a spotter that is paying attention not googling and Facebooking while you are torching.
Rick, your a poet and you know it.

nyoffroad

All good Richard. I'm on it. It's the left bracket i need.

Bruce
Those rivets don't just clamp the two pieces together, they also expand INSIDE the holes and need to be drilled out. If you try to just drive them out with a hammer and punch you might succeed with one but you will end up denting the frame and sooner or later your hand too. The shocks don't carry any weight unless they've been change to an air or coil over type, if the bracket/frame is cracked or broken you have another problem such as missing bump stops and the suspension is bottoming out the shock.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks