• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire changing tools

Mario

Had another blowout over the weekend.
Hi-Lift came in handy, but using hand wrench sucked even though I had all new lug nuts on them.
Purchasing $200+ 24V impact wrench is not out of the question, but it's somewhat large.

Looking for other options.

Seen this Nut Buddy recommended: https://ameintl.net/products/nut-buddy/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZkA-aR53Ck

Also stumbled across this HF impact wrench that actually doesn't suck (love EVE's reviews):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkPzjV-ZaTU

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmcdNDkp5Sw

The problem I have with battery operated tools is that if I store them in a HUMVEE, they won't be charged when I need them and with heat and cold they will go bad in few years -- possibly before I ever get to use them.

I don't have onboard air on my M998, or that would be my go-to solution.

Mario

Also, has anyone taken a battery operated tool (18-24V range) and hook it up directly to the battery to see if it would work?
That way if I do get this 20V HF Earthquake® XT- Item#64195 battery goes tits up, I can still hook it up directly to M998's batteries.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slave port impact wrench. 24v and plugs into the slave port. They aren't quite strong enough to be certain they'll break lug nuts loose on a 5ton, but they'll be overkill for a HMMWV.

price should be somewhere around $125. I no longer have any. This isn't an ad.

Action

How many amps will that drill handle.
If you install nuts with an impact, they can be hard to remove.
I use a standard wheel nut cross wrench.
Do uou have runflats?

Mario

Slave port impact wrench. 24v and plugs into the slave port. They aren't quite strong enough to be certain they'll break lug nuts loose on a 5ton, but they'll be overkill for a HMMWV.

price should be somewhere around $125. I no longer have any. This isn't an ad.
I'd buy one for $125.
All I see now on FleaBay is single listing for $199.
There is another one with cord cut off, which would require another $150 in NATO plug and cable.
****'s up there for those things.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mario

Do uou have runflats?
I do.
My first one was on a camping trip and I'm not even sure when I got it.
2nd one was on a pavement doing about 40MPH, and I barley felt it, other than the noise.

I aired them down to 20PSI that morning, and am thinking that excessive flexing may have contributed to the event.
I'll probably go back to running them around 30PSI, since I never load up the truck and don't really need the extra traction while offroading.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many amps will that drill handle.
If you install nuts with an impact, they can be hard to remove.
I use a standard wheel nut cross wrench.
Do uou have runflats?
Just don’t loan it out to that guy that has the batteries with too many amps and you’ll be fine!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have converted a Rigid 18V drill and recip saw to run off the slave plug. I gutted a battery and they work great.

My wife carries a Milwaukee M18 impact in her car. I have plenty of M18 stuff at home. She swaps out her battery every few months with one of mine. Been doing this for quite a few years, works great.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
A 20v dewalt or 18v Milwaukee electric impact will do everything you need. They even have a cig lighter charger available. They are around 200 for the bare tool with a 5yr warranty

For breaking a tire down you only need a hammer and a crowbar. Takes about 10mins minutes for the beadlock bolts and separating it.

4x4 blocks and a low profile hydraulic jack are a must

In my opinion robo guns are useless unless you are dealing with big things. Even then. they are not so great. An electric impact is versatile and can be used for near every repair on a truck. If you cant break hmmwv lug nuts loose my hand. Better hit the gym
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with a new Bradley Robotool kit with all the accessories. Spent more than I would like but it comes with everything under the sun.

Mark

bradleykitonly-1177.jpg

NormB

Just a tip: Wasn't long after I bought my HMMWV that I took the wheels off to change the hub oil.

As many others have noted, it felt like most of the lug nuts were torqued down by the heaviest motor pool sergeant in the Army standing on a four foot breaker bar.

Fortunately, I have an air impact wrench AND a 2 foot breaker with a 4 foot extension (I used to build FN-FALs for a hobby) for the more recalcitrant of the nuts.

While the wheels were off, I chased the threads of every lug (20v drill and the appropriate-sized socket and die) and - thanks to a smoking deal from AMTAK - put on new nuts then torqued them all down to 110# (IIRC).

Used some rust inhibitor and lubed the heck out of the lugs when reassembling.

Then I bought one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DJ8A40/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used it on the HMMWV and a YUGE black van I saw broken down w/ a flat. Works great.

Like a lot of things on these MVs, time hasn't been kind to fit, finish, connections, etc., and more than a little TLC is required to get everything back to spec if not merely functioning.

DatguyC's recommendation of a breaker bar onboard is a good one too.

I couldn't see putting out the money for a pig in a poke 24v roto tool/electric wrench for something I might use once in a long while.

Pays your money, takes your chances.

YMMV.

Norm

fasttruck

Tire shop: 24V 3/4" impact, sockets, tire hammer and rim demounting tools. On big trucks lug nuts may have to be started with a breaker bar and then spun off with the impact wrench. Small vehicles typically are not a problem.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks