• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another CUCV M1008....

LT67

Brought an 86 M1008 back to the house that had been sitting in a field for about two years. The previous owner mentioned someone dumped sugar in the tank and he was going to part it out. Well I put new batteries in to see what worked and what didn't and much to my surprise it fired right up. I only cycled the glow plugs one time..

It smoked like a coal stack for about 5min and then started to clear up. I still need to change the filter and clean out the tank though... it doesn't smell like normal diesel exhaust.

37793898_1853143101395747_6220692080176398336_n.jpg37803621_1853141651395892_6467495435173888000_n.jpg

someoldmoose

IF they sugared the tank, it's still laying in the bottom. :lol: :lol: :lol: I always laughed when cars came in with that complaint. I always translated it as, "I tried to fix it and have NO idea what I'm doing so God only knows what is wrong with it now that I messed with it along with the original problem". Smell is probably just old fuel. Add some "enhancement" of your choice ( too many to choose from / opinions on this site ) and fill her with fresh fuel after changing the filters / water seperator. Drive it to keep it healthy.

Looks like a great score.

LT67

I fired it up this morning and there was just a little bit of smoke while it idled for about 30min. Took it on a quick 3 mile test run and other than smoking under a load the first time I stepped on the go pedal, it pretty much cleared up. The old truck actually rode pretty good.

Other than one leaking injector that can be easily fixed, it's running better the more it runs. The exhaust smelled normal after I drove it.

MarcusOReallyus

Sugar doesn't dissolve in diesel or gas, so putting it in someone's tank is just going to displace some fuel. If there's enough water down there, it will dissolve. I think the worst it could do is turn the water to syrup and clog the sock. If it's dilute enough to get sucked into the fuel system, it wouldn't get past a water separator.

So, you probably got a deal because someone believed an old wive's tale! :beer:

LT67

Sugar doesn't dissolve in diesel or gas, so putting it in someone's tank is just going to displace some fuel. If there's enough water down there, it will dissolve. I think the worst it could do is turn the water to syrup and clog the sock. If it's dilute enough to get sucked into the fuel system, it wouldn't get past a water separator.

So, you probably got a deal because someone believed an old wive's tale! :beer:
Yeah I did.. lol.

Fresh fuel in the tank with a can of cleaner added in, new fuel and air filter... now it's running just fine.

LT67

Couple hose clamps and some exhaust tape and thats good as new.
I dove underneath the truck yesterday and the exhaust system has seen better days.... just going to have a new exhaust put on it. It's also got an exhaust leak somewhere around the passenger side manifold.

tomcava

Congrats dude. I sat in that truck a few weeks ago. You did good! I'm pulling mine home shortly! I'll look for that part you were looking for...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks