• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMVW Rims separation & run-flat insert removal + Hutchenson beadlock insert install

stevenbeven

So since ive had the tires mounted the don't seem to be holding air the best. Have a couple that seem to be ok but not great. It takes a few days to loose about 10 lbs or so. Not sure where they are leaking from and have tried spraying some soapy water around them but just not finding the bubbles.

anyone else have similar experience and found a remedy (other than replacing tires...) ? What about fix a flat? any particular issues with trying this??

Abbylind

Did you replace the O rings? Shouldnt use the old O rings. Recheck the torque on the wheel bolts. I torqued them to 115 ft lbs
I had one with a side wall puncture that only leaked when the hole was on the bottom

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A trick I use during assembly: lay a bead of silicon RTV into the O-ring groove, install the new O-ring, assemble the wheel/tire but do not inflate right away. Wait a day or so, at least overnight. THEN infllate.

If you inflate before the RTV has cured, then it just squeezes out.

stevenbeven

Thanks for the responses, and sorry for late reply. I thought I already sent this in but I guess has been hanging out as a draft.

I did use all new HMMWV rebuild kits for all of the wheels. since I had them sandblasted and super clean I didn’t want to be cheap with the rubber. So everything is new except for the metal rims which looked in good shape and were super clean because they been sandblasted also new Hutchinson PVC inserts. The wheel refurbish kit comes with new O-rings, new valve stems, valve seal new nuts for everything and followed their directions which say to superglue the oring in the bead rather than rtc. I spoke with them on the phone and they walked me through it and we’re pretty adamant that superglue was the best Way to Seat the orings.

I did end up going with fix a flat on one of the wheels and it has helped quite a bit and slowed the leak considerably but another wheel is pretty bad on the leak. What torque are you guys using? I went with 130 lbs I believe. Will try the fix a flat on the last one too if torque doesn’t fix. The fix a flat definitely seems like it got it out of balance though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks