• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M1010 owner

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There seems to be a trend with M1010 threads right now!

I have been reading a lot here and finally pulled the trigger on a M1010. My original intent was to drive it home as the owner was confident it should be ok. Well, it died on the road test, lost power, but would idle. I walked back to his house and explained it was down the block. we did get it back to his house with a tow. He came down on his price but I had no way to get it home. He said he would have it looked at and we would keep in touch...

When I checked with him he said it started up after sitting and backed in the driveway no problem. Good info for diagnostics! He said he was going to just put a filter on it. Uhmm... My thoughts were that wasn't going to solve the issue. I slept on it. The next morning knowing that it would at least start up again, I made him a offer saying just leave it as is. Some haggling that ended with him saying, "If my wife asks, you paid me this $$." OK!

Thus started the recovery...

Start of list: Drop tank, replace all rubber lines,

Attachments

Last edited:

someoldmoose

The filter / water separator on those are notorious. A new one may very well be all it needs. UNLESS, the fuel system is full of junk. Quick check, undo the outlet from the mechanical pump and crank it over. If the fuel is clean and clear yer GTG with a clean filter / separator. If it's ugly, then proceed with full system cleaning.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The filter / water separator on those are notorious. A new one may very well be all it needs. UNLESS, the fuel system is full of junk. Quick check, undo the outlet from the mechanical pump and crank it over. If the fuel is clean and clear yer GTG with a clean filter / separator. If it's ugly, then proceed with full system cleaning.
This where the story got worse?!?! The then owners son in law came by and did him favor. He stuck a filter on the truck, literally, no fuel in it, no bleeding and left it. It of course wouldn't start when I came to get it. Seller took another couple hundred off so we loaded it up. The tank is already out and all rubber is getting replaced for long reliable service. A new tank, Delphi lift pump, and spin on filter are in the works.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the purchase, hope you have fun and many trouble free miles with her. :beer:
Thanks! Going to put some work into her to get more reliability! So far found the glow plugs are 12v, resister is gone from the firewall. New ends on glow plug wires which are basic crimp on one without insulation which will be replaced. AC60G's are here. Relay for doghead is here. Needs DUVAC removed and alternators updated. And working on second tank while apart. Congrats on yours too!

Last edited:

joshuak

Thanks! Going to put some work into her to get more reliability! So far found the glow plugs are 12v, resistor is gone from the firewall.
Not necessarily a bad thing, have you checked out the threads on bypassing them?
Here's one: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?134320-A-muddy-resistor-bypass-overkill-is-a-GOOD-thing

Relay for doghead is here. Needs DUVAC removed and alternators updated.
DH relay, a must IMHO. What's your plan with the alts? Sticking with a 12/24v system?

And working on second tank while apart. Congrats on yours too!
Second tank, nice! Hope you post up how you do it. And thanks, it's taken a while but a real fun project for sure and driving it has been a blast.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not necessarily a bad thing, have you checked out the threads on bypassing them?
Here's one: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?134320-A-muddy-resistor-bypass-overkill-is-a-GOOD-thing
I understand it's not bad, the way it's setup seemed to work when I heard it run. Similar to the link but without fuse or circuit breaker

DH relay, a must IMHO. What's your plan with the alts? Sticking with a 12/24v system?
DH Relay = Done! As far as the alt's, I'm thinking the dual 12v ones...

Second tank, nice! Hope you post up how you do it. And thanks, it's taken a while but a real fun project for sure and driving it has been a blast.
I'm working on how I want to do it... I found the valve I want to use and figuring out where I want to mount it

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Progress is being made...

Things are coming in and coming together... progress is being made on the fuel system and clean up continues. Seems slow but it has only been a week. Need to find some tank mounts and a skid plate for the other side. Also looking for a passenger side fenderwell...

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My valve came in... it's beefy. I've decided to use the existing hole in the floor. It makes it accessible and not too intrusive. I started on the lines under the hood and mounting the new filter. I still need to replace all the return lines on the injectors. I also did the one between the return and the injection pump, The one under the intake wasn't that bad... one knee on the a/c compressor... one on the rad support...and an elbow on the upper alt. Snuck in to the clamp from the side...

Attachments

joshuak

Looking good, solid progress. The valve certainly is beefy, could you share a link?

Still looking for the inner fender? With massaging the ones from LMC work, another option would be Goodmark, I've read good reviews but never used them myself.

Which return lines are you going with?

Keep up the good work.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good, solid progress. The valve certainly is beefy, could you share a link?

Still looking for the inner fender? With massaging the ones from LMC work, another option would be Goodmark, I've read good reviews but never used them myself.

Which return lines are you going with?

Keep up the good work.
Here is a link to the valve: https://www.groco.net/products/valves-seacocks/fuel-valves/fv-6-port-series
Be sitting when you look up the price! Jamestown Distributors had the best price. I can send you a free shipping code, which they sent me after I purchased.

I got the lines from kr_services on the Bay, they are Badger Diesel brand that do not require clamps. 64" of line and the plugs for $21

I am looking for a fender still but haven't been actively looking. I saw that you modified yours to work. I stumbled across this one and keep comparing it to your old one: https://www.autobodyspecialt.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=C-102A-RH

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't tell for sure, can you prime that filter from the top? Pressing down on top fitting? Or is that all electrical connects?
Brad,

The top is where the heater screws into the housing, no pump there. While posting I forgot that I bought a outboard primer ball for that very reason. I read about someone else using here on the line into the fuel filter. I have been using it for draining the old tank, It worked very well for that.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a few updates... At this point all glow plugs have been replaced with AC 60G's, All wire ends on the glow plugs have been replaced with good heat shrink/ epoxy ends, all return lines on the injectors have been replaced, New lift pump installed as well as the gasket on the plate behind it, Rubber feed line to the pump replaced as well as the rubber return line down by the lift pump, Cleaned the ground behind the upper alternator, and have been working on plumbing the valve. I ordered new fuel tank saddles and a fender for the passenger side. Did a little cleaning up while the alternators were out. Didn't take a lot of pics...

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the alternators back in place which meant the inner fender was no longer being used as a table. New inner came yesterday and matched up nicely to the rusty one. While removed I cleaned some and sprayed rust encapsulator in the hard to reach areas. I removed the supports from the old fender and will either try to reuse them or for patterns for new ones. Drilled the holes for the battery trays. Still working on belts but I think I have them worked out finally. I installed the AC and P/S ones today and Alternator belts will be in tomorrow morning.

Attachments

joshuak

That inner fender looks very similar to OEM, a lot more than what I used. Good find!

If you have the need and want the batt. tray supports off of mine send me PM, they are in good shape and I'd be happy to donate them to your project.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the offer! The only one that is really bad is the one for the front tray and it's mostly flat and easy to make. The other two came off easily and should clean up. I ended up getting the inner fender through Summit and it is very similar.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dodged rain drops yesterday but got a little done. Four belts are on and tight cleaned all the connections on the bus bars on the firewall and reassembled it. I've been trying to clean grounds whenever I come across them also. Cleaned a some other parts but didn't paint anything with the rain and humidity... Hopefully get the first tank and valve in this week... I would like to hear her run again

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks