• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M1010 owner

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool, interested to see what you got.
The hitch pics
Mike,

Thanks for those pics! I see yours is a standard hitch mounted in the standard location so it comes up short of the bumper. I hadn't noticed it on there before so I was curious... food for though as I want one on mine but don't want it any lower. I've seen some good ideas on the site here.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It arrived! I also ordered a thru hull fitting so there won't be an exhaust pipe hanging down. Just a little size comparison...I plan on actually mounting it to the right a long the front of the heater box to open up more storage space.

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An update, the delphi pump I installed last year might have given up. I didn't have a meter with me yesterday but while cold removing the green and the pink wire while cold got a click. She tried to start and run with the pedal to the floor, but wasn't happy and wouldn't rev up at all. Filter has 1500 miles on it, tanks are new, all rubber replaced, injection pump was sent out last summer, no gray smoke out of the pipes while trying to start tell me no fuel.

Hate doing things again...aua

Further update from this afternoon, voltage good to the injection pump. I tried starting and got nothing. Opened the bleeder and got some air then a little fuel. Decided to vacuum bleed, lots of air and could hear the filter filling. Once I had good fuel at the bleeder I tried to start again. After a few tries she started and ran for a bit. The idle stated wavering and then died. Put the vacuum pump on the bleeder and air again. All NAPA could get me was a Delphi but not till tomorrow, ordered a AC Delco from Rock Auto. We'll see how it does... Of course it was in the 60's today when I would have liked to do it... :doh:

Last edited:

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Erector Set!!!

I have been working on a design for the interior for the while and finally pulled the trigger to get it started. The first of it got delivered. Amazing all that they packed in the box! A few pieces needed some fine adjustment and the Dewalt blade made beautiful cuts!

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Erector Set!!!

This was a dry run to check fitment. Overall I'm happy with taking it from design to reality! When finished it will have sliders out the back and into the center for a table. Blue is a fridge/ freezer, red is the power panel, green is the fender well, two house batteries on the lower right to feed the panel, and eight large milk crates for storage in the tall section. I will build some drawers to the left of the fridge, Water jugs fit in the section to the right of the fridge and still looking at options for other spaces.

Attachments

Last edited:

chevymike

I really love how this is turning out. I had seriously looked at 80/20 to frame out my plans but the cost started to get crazy. I love how it's like big kids version of an Erector set. LOL

What are you going to use to face these and how does that mount?

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really love how this is turning out. I had seriously looked at 80/20 to frame out my plans but the cost started to get crazy. I love how it's like big kids version of an Erector set. LOL
What are you going to use to face these and how does that mount?
I have gone back and forth on the costs. If I built everything out of wood using a cabinet grade plywood and factored in the time for for cutting, fitting, joining, and finishing it all it wasn't going to be cheap. As well as the weight of it when It was all done. Interestingly enough with the 80/20 many say to buy it in bulk and cut it yourself and make the fittings you need to join it together (cutting 90's, drilling holes, and the hardware). When I added just the cost of the materials I was at 2/3 the price I was quoted. I still had to cut all the fittings and buy the hardware to make my design. I felt submitting the design and letting them machine everything not that out of line and fitment is cleaner.

I still plan on using cabinet grade ply for panels. Probably 1/2" where I need strength and 1/4" where it's just filler. I plan on tying it into the studs in the wall and into the floor the same as the bench was but with screws instead of rivets.

chevymike

I have gone back and forth on the costs. If I built everything out of wood using a cabinet grade plywood and factored in the time for for cutting, fitting, joining, and finishing it all it wasn't going to be cheap. As well as the weight of it when It was all done. Interestingly enough with the 80/20 many say to buy it in bulk and cut it yourself and make the fittings you need to join it together (cutting 90's, drilling holes, and the hardware). When I added just the cost of the materials I was at 2/3 the price I was quoted. I still had to cut all the fittings and buy the hardware to make my design. I felt submitting the design and letting them machine everything not that out of line and fitment is cleaner.

I still plan on using cabinet grade ply for panels. Probably 1/2" where I need strength and 1/4" where it's just filler. I plan on tying it into the studs in the wall and into the floor the same as the bench was but with screws instead of rivets.
True, I actually haven't planned out things 100% so wood cost is unknown and definitely more work. Definitely want to see how this turns out. I have a couple designs I have been working on and I think this idea is winning so far.

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
True, I actually haven't planned out things 100% so wood cost is unknown and definitely more work. Definitely want to see how this turns out. I have a couple designs I have been working on and I think this idea is winning so far.
http://www.maytec.com.de/index.php?id=21&L=1

This is the newer app that I used. It is a great way to play with your design and see if it will do what you think it will do. Gives you an estimate for price as well. It will create a .iges file that a distributor can import and work with. The only downfall for my design was it has limited profiles for the 1"x1" extrusion. The pricing in the app was actually higher than what I paid through the distributor I used including tax and shipping.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up getting mine but for the heater. Left it a low counter to set a top load fridge on it. Need a closet between the front bulkhead and jackknife sofa. they make a great off road RV.
Looks like a good setup! Mine will be similar but reversed. The one section of the bed will be hinged for storage underneath. Just haven't finalized the layout of the taller section. They do make a great off road RV! Can't wait to get mine out more!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been under the weather as well as the actual weather not cooperating so I ordered some more stuff. While browsing for some better prices I came across another supplier after comparison shopping. Machining options are slightly less but easier on the pocket. With a successful venture on fitting the drivers side I took a chance and ordered the extrusion for the passenger side which will be the bed. Turn around was super quick, ordered Thursday evening and it was delivered Monday! YMMV!!! Working out the layout for the tall section currently but the basic framework is here!

IMG_7694.JPGIMG_7695.JPGIMG_7689.JPG

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a little behind on updates here... I've been working on the passenger side of the box as well with the aluminum framing. So far I'm very happy with the way everything is transferring from virtual to reality. I used some scrap plywood to simulate the sliders and check the hinge operation. With an insert to extend the bed platform over to the other side I end up with a 82"x56" sleeping area, roughly, queen size.

IMG_7713.JPGIMG_7716.JPGIMG_7720.JPGIMG_7738.JPGIMG_7739.JPGIMG_7740.JPG

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some other additional details and work. My measurements worked out going over the filler neck on the passenger side. I removed the one brace on the box for the slider that will come out of the drivers side cabinets when the door is open. And I did a test fit of the fridge where it will be located. I should have plenty of room for the counter/table slider above it.

IMG_7697.JPGIMG_7718.JPGIMG_7753.JPGIMG_7755.JPGIMG_7707.JPGIMG_7708.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks