• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M1010 owner

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update, I've been driving the truck more and more... I have surpassed 500 miles since getting her running again. It has been good to be able to do small changes and notice a difference instead of just repairing things! The sway bar bushings were a great addition. Adding to that, I recently decided to replace the steering shaft to get rid of the rag joint. I wasn't wild about going the junkyard route for the shaft so I bought a new replacement one for just under $90. The installation is straight forward enough as the steering box splines are the same and the shape of the steering column is the same. Only the steering column needed a small groove in it to allow pinch bolt clearance on the column. Short work with a die grinder. On the new shaft I was able to collapse and extend it with some taps from a dead blow hammer never heating the shaft and keeping the bushings nice and tight. Everything lined up and the steering wheel was still straight. My thoughts are that this helped with the dead spot feeling, steering corrections seem smaller and less often! Can't wait to get the leaf spring and shackle bushings all replaced!

Off course with good there is bad... my last 50 mile trip I noticed that power assist was having some issues. Stiffer steering a slow speed and occasionally no boost. Fluid level is good and no frothing, front axle joints are moving free, so I think 35 years on the pump is the culprit. I know the remanufactured ones seem to be a mixed bag. PSC has a new Delphi pump. Are there any others out there that anyone has experience with?

YMMV

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I had to try starting her up is the cold without being plugged all night. It was almost 10am when I finally tried to start her. The batteries are group 30's that came with the truck and are 700 CCA. Biggest issue was the starter bendix was not happy in the colder temps. It didn't want to engage the flywheel. I'm sure the grease is caked up and old and it won't move freely. I'll need to pull the starter at some point. Otherwise it spins over fine. After many attempts the bendix warmed up and I was pleased that she fired right up! [thumbzup]

Off course with good there is bad... my last 50 mile trip I noticed that power assist was having some issues. Stiffer steering a slow speed and occasionally no boost. Fluid level is good and no frothing, front axle joints are moving free, so I think 35 years on the pump is the culprit. I know the remanufactured ones seem to be a mixed bag. PSC has a new Delphi pump. Are there any others out there that anyone has experience with?

YMMV
As too the steering issue... I followed Sharecropper's lead and have ordered a new PSC pump that is US made as per their web site. I guess I'll be ordering some hoses as well...

Attachments

cruzer747

Very nice! I got a 100 ampere digital ammeter/voltmeter/power meter from Amazon for under $15. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JOUZELG/?ie=UTF8&psc=1
going to replace mine with this, thanks, mine does capacity as well but is a little more than i need and the red LEDs are a bit much. this looks easier on the eyes and as long as you know the capacity of your battery and know safely how much you can draw it down this works just as well and much easier on the eyes. Maybe I will change to this if I miss it but I was not thrilled with my last one aestheticly. https://www.ebay.com/itm/VAT1100-DC...r-Meter-Capacity-Coulomb-Counter/182365459743

Looks like good progress, I know what you mean about rolling before turning! I ordered new shocks for mine (kyb monomax, fronts are backordered but should be here soon, swapped the rears out, never seen such a dead old shock! They were shot. Will peek at my swaybar bushings as well, good reminder.

As far as hard starts in the cold... just an idea :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSXx0ihb-Kc

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any new updates???
Yes, I've been bad about updating since the weather has finally been warm enough to work outside again. Last fall the power steering assist started having a mind of its own. I little nerve racking with the weight of this beast. I did the PSC new delphi pump, replaced all the lines in the system and started the process of bleeding the air in the system. My only issue with PSC was the o-ring that came with the pump was .054 diameter. I fought it till I was uncomfortable with the shape of the reservoir. Hillbilly Wizards sent me a complete pump to salvage a reservoir. I had two used o-rings at this point to try measuring .034 if I remember correctly. This time the pump seated in the reservoir and against better judgement I assembled it with the used o-ring. Warning! Get a new o-ring! It leaked! Reassembled again and all has been well...

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another project that I decided to do since as I driven the truck more and become more comfortable with it was opening the rear wheel openings. I totally stole this from member StevoMT and his build. I had heard the 295/70/17's lightly rub the openings so some angled aluminum, rivets, rivet gun, and a sawsall were in order. Still working on finishing them off but I haven't heard any rubbing since. I haven't decided if I'm just going to round off the bottoms or taper them towards the bottom. I'm also going to try brazing the pieces together for some more strength... I've tried with propane without success so far.

Attachments

WARWAG

Update, I've been driving the truck more and more... I have surpassed 500 miles since getting her running again. It has been good to be able to do small changes and notice a difference instead of just repairing things! The sway bar bushings were a great addition. Adding to that, I recently decided to replace the steering shaft to get rid of the rag joint. I wasn't wild about going the junkyard route for the shaft so I bought a new replacement one for just under $90. The installation is straight forward enough as the steering box splines are the same and the shape of the steering column is the same. Only the steering column needed a small groove in it to allow pinch bolt clearance on the column. Short work with a die grinder. On the new shaft I was able to collapse and extend it with some taps from a dead blow hammer never heating the shaft and keeping the bushings nice and tight. Everything lined up and the steering wheel was still straight. My thoughts are that this helped with the dead spot feeling, steering corrections seem smaller and less often! Can't wait to get the leaf spring and shackle bushings all replaced!

YMMV

I highly recommend the upgraded bushings and shackles from ORD (Off Road Designs). Get the grazable ones and get the FUSH kit while you are at it. I have an alignment jig I can send you for cutting out the larger diameter hole in the frame. Real simple to use and make if you want to. Let me know.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NICE! Hows the new power steering unit?
I highly recommend the upgraded bushings and shackles from ORD (Off Road Designs). Get the grazable ones and get the FUSH kit while you are at it. I have an alignment jig I can send you for cutting out the larger diameter hole in the frame. Real simple to use and make if you want to. Let me know.
Power steering has been great! Nice to not have it randomly not be there. Bleeding was the only challenge as it took a little time to get the hydro-boost (pedal feel) back to where I remember it!

I might have a few parts that haven't been utilized just yet... :whistle: The FUSH kit was one thing I hadn't decided on just yet although the bigger bushings make sense. Thank you for the offer on the jig! I might take you up on it but I have read about several methods to enlarge the hole. Lets see a pic of it!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a little spray bomb update on the front end just for a little contrast...matt black

As well I got out the ladder to scrub from the top down... yes the whole roof was that dirty but I didn't take a picture of it.

I did a little aluminum brazing yesterday on my fender modifications... not to bad for first try at it. Truck and paint still in tact!

Attachments

WARWAG

I will get a picture of the "Jig" when I get back to the shop. Its really simple to make. I used a piece of 3/4" or 5/8" thick scrap plywood. I cut it slightly larger than the 4 factory rivets holes holding the whimpy stock bracket in place. I then held the piece of plywood over the enlarged rivets holes and scribed/traced the holes and bushing hole from the inside of the frame onto the plywood. I drilled out the enlarged rivet holes on the plywood and used a hols saw (centered on the scribed bushing hole) and cut out the new size bushing hole. I then bolted the jig to the outside of the frame. The enlarged ply wood holes keeps you hole saw centered on the frame as you drill it out. I then debarred both enlarged rivets holes and new bushing holes. Primed and painted to prevent future rusting. I will get a picture for you soon.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will get a picture of the "Jig" when I get back to the shop. Its really simple to make. I used a piece of 3/4" or 5/8" thick scrap plywood. I cut it slightly larger than the 4 factory rivets holes holding the whimpy stock bracket in place. I then held the piece of plywood over the enlarged rivets holes and scribed/traced the holes and bushing hole from the inside of the frame onto the plywood. I drilled out the enlarged rivet holes on the plywood and used a hols saw (centered on the scribed bushing hole) and cut out the new size bushing hole. I then bolted the jig to the outside of the frame. The enlarged ply wood holes keeps you hole saw centered on the frame as you drill it out. I then debarred both enlarged rivets holes and new bushing holes. Primed and painted to prevent future rusting. I will get a picture for you soon.
That is how I read to do it with the plywood to line up the holesaw in the center...

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little market place shopping yesterday... Picked up a 700r4, a tall transmission adapter, the overdrive shift indicator, a tilt column with 4 spoke steering wheel, and a good used OE dash pad.

85CUCVtom

YMMV

What part number did you order for the steering shaft? Thanks in advance!

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little market place shopping yesterday... Picked up a 700r4, a tall transmission adapter, the overdrive shift indicator, a tilt column with 4 spoke steering wheel, and a good used OE dash pad.
Steering column went in today! All the plastic in the dash was so brittle it just fell apart... need to order some trim pieces to finish the dash...

Swapped lock cylinders so my three sets of keys still work! Took a good road test afterwards... like the new wheel and tilt!

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because I had to order some parts to finish the dash I decided to clean it up some. It really only had cracks in it in the speaker grills. I may have gone a little overboard with it...

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With some sanding, scuffing and a lot of cleaning to make sure all waxes and oils were removed... I moved forward with adhesion promoter and started spraying SEM Color Coat burgundy, five coats. I tried to get the SEM to dry spray on my repairs to give those areas some texture but it continued to lay flat. So they are a little more visible than I had hoped for. I'm happy with the results and we'll see how it holds up. I got new dash trim because the original one was so brittle all the studs broke off. Just need to get it installed in the truck.

Now those door panels really look like... aua

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks