• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M1010 owner

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carry an eye-dropper. One drop of pure non-scented bleach per gallon of water. Been doing this for years on my pack-in trips in the rockies. Keep the water out of direct sunlight and in cool storage. By the way, those storage cabinets are "cool". That Waterlox stuff is great. The beauty is, the finish can be refreshed over time by lightly scuffing and re-coating.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you do when you’re tired of working on the M1010... My what big drums you have!!! Is that politically incorrect to say?!?!?! 🤣 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They’re some Big ‘Uns for sure. Great jack stands! Shackle flip in progress?
Thanks, I've put other trucks up on 6 tons and never had total confidence. These are pretty solid...

Tools of the day... lots of sparks... a few burns. Cleaned the frame from the spring mounts back and coated with rust encapsulator. Installed the bump stops and the started on the new shackle brackets. The last two bolts 🤦‍♂️. Couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it started. Jack helped ease the pain... 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice! Frame's looking good. diy4x shackles have some serious beef. What size tire you going to fill the extra space with?:jumpin:
I'm torn at the moment between 35's and 37's. 🤷‍♂️ I am happy with the DIY4X stuff and they essentially match the front shackles now. The other thing I liked, if the rear is a little low I can change to a little longer shackle for $26. ORD's super shackles are $133.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do have a lot of options in r17, fun to follow along and see what you choose (y). I hear you on the price, the fact they powder coat is nice too.
Waiting to see how your conversion comes along! It's one of the reasons I picked the H2 wheels, I really like the way the H1's look but the tire selection and other issues people seem to have changed my mind. I bolted the H2's on and haven't really had an issue, a little rub at a hard right turn on the steering arm. But it's going away soon with crossover. The width let's me go bigger without any issues as well.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So... my rear cover isn’t painted. It’s coated with gear oil. I don’t remember catching it on the floor jack, I’m usually pretty careful about that . 🤷🏻‍♂️ But I wasn’t going to install another stock one. Solid nodular covers and some lubelocker gaskets are in order. Waiting on friction pads and a 8 degree shims, I cleaned up the springs so they’re ready to reassemble. As well as cleaning the rear axle for chassis saver. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃

Attachments

Another Ahab

Carry an eye-dropper. One drop of pure non-scented bleach per gallon of water. Been doing this for years on my pack-in trips in the rockies. Keep the water out of direct sunlight and in cool storage.
Sharecropper, I am sure that one drop is enough and your experience proves that.

Probably intentional overkill (as a safety factor), but for record I ran across this the other day:

https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and-drinking-water/emergency-disinfection-drinking-water

What's funny is the article says something like bleach is "either 6% or 8%" (meaning the hypochlorite in solution).

I got a bottle of old common everyday Clorox:

- The label says "7.5%"

That's a hoot, right?!

Guess they should have added "or somewhere in between".

:naner: :beer: :naner:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sharecropper, I am sure that one drop is enough and your experience proves that.

Probably intentional overkill (as a safety factor), but for record I ran across this the other day:

https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and-drinking-water/emergency-disinfection-drinking-water

What's funny is the article says something like bleach is "either 6% or 8%" (meaning the hypochlorite in solution).

I got a bottle of old common everyday Clorox:

- The label says "7.5%"

That's a hoot, right?!

Guess they should have added "or somewhere in between".

:naner: :beer: :naner:
Hmmmm.... The article stated that several drops-per-gallon are required. Guess I was doing it wrong all those years. Glad I never had an occasion or need to disinfect while in the mountains. Thanks for posting that.

Another Ahab

Hmmmm.... The article stated that several drops-per-gallon are required. Guess I was doing it wrong all those years. Glad I never had an occasion or need to disinfect while in the mountains. Thanks for posting that.
I don't think you did it "wrong", I'm thinking it's all about factors of safety (you know, like structural engineering):

- 1-3 drops/ gallon likely gets the job done

- Recommending 6-8/ gallon is likely the safety factor

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks