• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 headlight options?

alpine44

Just noticed that one of my sealed-beam headlights is turning into an illuminated aquarium. I think it's time to upgrade to something more modern.

What headlight options exists for the CUCVs and which ones do you have/had good results with?

MarcusOReallyus

That's a nice option if you can handle the price. I looked up the specs - they only draw 3.6 amps on high beam. Nice!

If that's a bit rich for your wallet (it is for mine!), you can always just get the Sylvania Silverstars, but make sure you install a headlight relay harness if you go that route.

Ilikemtb999

Looks are subjective with those lights. They remind me of something a kid in high school would put on his civic.

You can purchase nice hella brand glass housings (under $50) that use HB2 style replacement bulbs inside (55w). I wouldn’t use them without a relay harness though.

cucvrus

I have had all the lights you mentioned. Never altered the stock harness in any way. It seems to me the only people that have anything bad to say about the Truck lite LLED's is the people that don't have them. They look completely normal in the truck and match the rest of the trucks with the LED lights I see in the motor pool at the base. They work well and are tested tough in Pennsylvania. I sold 3 trucks with them to others and they said they liked them. Only one said he wanted original headlamps. But I think he changed his mind once he drove with them at night. Nice clean white light and easy on the oncoming traffic drivers. That is my spin on them. They are costly but - the harness and hassle you can figure as is in life most things that are nice and work well cost a bit more. I am not sure of the current market value of these lights. I imagine about $300-$350. a pair. But worth it. Have a Great productive Day and stay positive. Enough negatively will ruin your plans.

Ilikemtb999

I have had all the lights you mentioned. Never altered the stock harness in any way. It seems to me the only people that have anything bad to say about the Truck lite LLED's is the people that don't have them. They look completely normal in the truck and match the rest of the trucks with the LED lights I see in the motor pool at the base. They work well and are tested tough in Pennsylvania. I sold 3 trucks with them to others and they said they liked them. Only one said he wanted original headlamps. But I think he changed his mind once he drove with them at night. Nice clean white light and easy on the oncoming traffic drivers. That is my spin on them. They are costly but - the harness and hassle you can figure as is in life most things that are nice and work well cost a bit more. I am not sure of the current market value of these lights. I imagine about $300-$350. a pair. But worth it. Have a Great productive Day and stay positive. Enough negatively will ruin your plans.
They’re $180 on amazon. They look cheesy regardless of the functionality.

cucvrus

They’re $180 on amazon. They look cheesy regardless of the functionality.
That is $180. each US. The cheese must be with you. They are Mil spec lights and I thought that was what everyone on this site liked. Maybe NOT. But I still thought they did. They have aluminum housing and Lexan lenses. But to each his or her own. Never heard a bad thing about them from anyone that owned them. Enjoy the day. Back to some more storm clean up. Hoping o reach the CUCV yet today. Positive thinking and goal setting has me headed that way. After a couple acres of grass is cut.

ehuppert

I've got the Hella glass upgrades and they were a substantial improvement over stock! Think they were around $100 for the set. My truck only gets 1500 miles a year, so couldn't justify the more expensive lights!

Eric

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck-Lite LEDs
TL is a major supplier to the US Military.
One of the best upgrades that can be made to a CUCV is a set.

Long Life
3 year warranty
Very low amp draw
Excellent visibility & side/downrange light throw.
Lighter weight
No glass to break
No headlight harness to install
Etc.

How they look to someone is totally personal preference.
Like mentioned, the bad remarks are from those who don’t have a set.

If the CUCVs were still in active service (A lot still are), the Truck-Lite LEDs are what would be installed in them.
Some rare active duty ones do have them installed.

You get what you pay for.
Buy cheap.....Get cheap
When it’s drizzling and a dark overcast night, is not the time for cheap headlights.

I love mine and will never go back to halogen.

cucvrus

Looks great to me. I haven't seen a Honda Civic with sealed beams in 30 years. Are your D-rings attachment tubes bent towards the center a bit? Someone may have been tow baring without a front bumper or brace.

Kaiser67M715

As an FYI to all, trucklite LED 5x7 headlights are NOT heated, I spoken directly with them, some vendors claim heated, but they are not. So any place with fog or possible icy conditions, snow etc. These lights are NOT good for that weather. I've tried, but they always get a slushy/ice coating and severely limits light output.

I believe Grote and JW speaker headlights are the only 5x7 currently with a heated option.

And as far as I know all 7" round by any manufacture has a heated lens option.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

cucvrus

I used them in the worst snow condition and have bad no problems. But what do I know? They work well for me on plow trucks and all. Even Halogens can ice up under the right conditions on a plow truck and in heavy cold snow. The Truck lite brand is all I can attest to. I never bought any others. I have incandescent bulbs on my Kubota fenders they get that hot they will burn your arm. I switched them to LED Bulbs. I would rather the ice and low current use then worry about ice.

Kaiser67M715

I used them in the worst snow condition and have bad no problems. But what do I know? They work well for me on plow trucks and all. Even Halogens can ice up under the right conditions on a plow truck and in heavy cold snow. The Truck lite brand is all I can attest to. I never bought any others. I have incandescent bulbs on my Kubota fenders they get that hot they will burn your arm. I switched them to LED Bulbs. I would rather the ice and low current use then worry about ice.
I've had people tell me they work fine, but I have lots of friends with lifted Cherokees, they all swap out their LED lamps for winter because they all ice over. I think climates play a huge part, we typically get the wet heavy snow, I think if it was colder with lighter snow it may not be as much of an issue. I ran my truck-lites for only a couple winter storms, could not stop them from icing over, I don't plow with my truck but I do use it to get around as I am the main shoveler for all the properties we take care of, so I am out in the middle of the storm. If I was to do it again I would definitely get a heated lens.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks