• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916A0 (AMi) and spicer 1750 aux transmission

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_2596[1].jpg

So we went on another run earlier this week, only for a refill and just rough math in my head AMi gets about 4mpg at 55-58 mph. Also 55 is a bit slow going to a fire. She has no problems tanker yanking full to the top of water, so another .81 od behind an aux should get the top speed at 2100rpm to 69mph with no HP issues. Hopefully lowering the RPM will help with the MPG as well. I know it takes along time to pay for parts on MPG alone, so the mpg would only be icing on the cake.

Doing some research, I have found an aux transmission to throw behind the transfer. Spicer 1750, looks to be large enough to contain the torque

Screenshot_29.pngScreenshot_30.png

I know that I loose my front axle running in OD, but I can set it up so that the air operated part wont work unless the aux tranny is in direct.

Has someone done this before?

What other negatives am I not seeing.

Any suggestions, comments, complaints? I have read alot of threads on the duece's with the little brownie, but never saw one that someone actually did.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
On 11R24s it should be around 2100 at 61mph with the cat transmission. Only other thing you could do is go to 16.00s. That will get it to reach 70. Or turn your gov spring up to 2300 or so.

The aux wont work as the driveline cant be made that short To go between them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Attachments

Last edited:

74M35A2

Can you switch to a regular manual transmission that has a lower OD, or double OD? I’m not familiar with your truck drivetrain config, but modern OTR trucks do what you want, unsure of their axle ratio vs yours.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Regular 916s have a .83 or and direct drive transfer case.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will run out to 2300, I dont like winding it that fast.

Cant go 1600's, it would be too tall for the trailer, already too tall but just biding my time to change out the 1100's on trailer to 11r24.5's.

I failed to look at the length on that spicer, 28" of driveshaft and 26" of aux gearbox, that wont work.

Has anyone found ring and pinion replacements that would work? I think the front will be the unobtanium.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It will run out to 2300, I dont like winding it that fast.

Cant go 1600's, it would be too tall for the trailer, already too tall but just biding my time to change out the 1100's on trailer to 11r24.5's.

I failed to look at the length on that spicer, 28" of driveshaft and 26" of aux gearbox, that wont work.

Has anyone found ring and pinion replacements that would work? I think the front will be the unobtanium.
What about putting 1600s on the truck and 395 MVT and LMTV wheels on the trailer. Be your cheapest bet. We have pallets of 80 to 85 percent tires for cheap. It would give the trailer more offroad clearance as well

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It might be easier to just go Soni's way, change the ring and pinion

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?62707-M920-Differential-Gears
I dont know what the difference in the 915 rears and the bigger truck rears is. but ive got a 915 bogie that needs a home. I believe it has 4.44s in it per the part number in the TM. might be easier to swap the whole rear bogie over. I believe the suspension and everything is the same.

I know the yokes are different as they are mechanics style between the axles on the 915 and they are 1710 series spicers on the front axle input.

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can I get pics? Is it a cut off, frame, springs, axles? or just bogies with springs connecting them.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Can I get pics? Is it a cut off, frame, springs, axles? or just bogies with springs connecting them.
I've got the whole 915 frame but I could cut it anywhere. I pulled the motor and transmission out. About the only pic I have until I get back home. 20180516_141048.jpg

snowtrac nome

your making to much work pull the axle shafts and replace the chunks if you want to re gear. once you have done the rear what are you going to do about the front I believe the awd front axle is different from the drivers.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
your making to much work pull the axle shafts and replace the chunks if you want to re gear. once you have done the rear what are you going to do about the front I believe the awd front axle is different from the drivers.
You are correct that the front is different, but if we get the backs working, then we (me and the mouse in my pocket) only have to find gears for the front.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct that the front is different, but if we get the backs working, then we (me and the mouse in my pocket) only have to find gears for the front.
Somewhere on here is a discussion about the 916 fast gearsets, and I believe that Soni got the last ones ever made or some such story.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about putting 1600s on the truck and 395 MVT and LMTV wheels on the trailer. Be your cheapest bet. We have pallets of 80 to 85 percent tires for cheap. It would give the trailer more offroad clearance as well

Is there enough clearance for 395's on the trailer? I am hoping the 11r24.5's fit

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somewhere on here is a discussion about the 916 fast gearsets, and I believe that Soni got the last ones ever made or some such story.
NDT,

I think that is the thread I link to on post #11

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks