• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newest project, Hmmwv in PA

daveiaff

Just picked up last week. No start. All GP's out, only one slightly swelled, but snuck out without breaking. Glow plugs are ordered. 4 good GPs 4 GPs tested bad. I've made the extra grounds with #6 copper, 2 new agm batteries 775 CCa. Got fuel to return line on top of injector pump. Just quick flash of the WTS light. No smoke out of tail pipe at first, but now getting some black smoke, still no start.

This week I'll put in new glow plugs and see if the WTS light stays on for a few seconds, if not I don't think I'm going to try start. May try S3 box if that doesn't work. Currently has Nartron 12469158-1

It looks like it was rebuilt in 2006 in Maine , 3300 miles since then. It had registration in it from a Maine sheriffs office and the inspection sticker in window said 2014/2015 so it might of been running up until then.

Any tips, on direction before I upgrade to S3? Thanks

Attachments

daveiaff

Installed 2 new mosfet switches into circuit board, installed 8 new glow plugs, wait to start lamp now lights for 5 or 6 seconds, voltage at glow plug connector, but still no start. I moving onto a fuel issue now. Line cracked at the top of injector , very little fuel moving.

Wire Fox

New S3 box with TSU on the way. Stanadyne Injector pump out, and sent to service center in PA. for test and rebuild. View attachment 739731
Those pumps look absolutely sexy when they come back from rebuild. I just got mine back on Friday and was absolutely stupefied at how nice they made my once rusty, bent piece of garbage look. It's halfway installed now, so I should know very soon how well it performs.

daveiaff

The plan at the shop for the IP. Open top and check for corrosion, if clean inside , they will put on test stand. Hopefully it is bad, this I think is my last option for no start. New glow plugs, new S3 here this week. When I had 4 of the lines on the top of the injectors off while cranking with glow plugs out, barely any fuel coming out. Bought the 5 star type security bit and took off top of fuel cut off and it is working with 24 volts. I even held if open with 24 volts from battery with jumper. Also 2 new batteries with a new grounding system that I built with 6awg wire. Stay tuned.

daveiaff

History of mine.. 1986 with rebuild in Maine in 2006. A sherifs dept. had it until '14 or '15 registration on floor had there name on it. I called them and they said it ran fine when they had it, and then went to a Forestry dept. and then made its way back to Iron Planet. Date code on 6.5NA is 2006. I pretty sure the mileage at 3300 miles is correct since rebuild. It is clean underneath and around motor. The problem maybe that is has set outside for the last 3 or 4 years with no start.

Action

History of mine.. 1986 with rebuild in Maine in 2006. A sherifs dept. had it until '14 or '15 registration on floor had there name on it. I called them and they said it ran fine when they had it, and then went to a Forestry dept. and then made its way back to Iron Planet. Date code on 6.5NA is 2006. I pretty sure the mileage at 3300 miles is correct since rebuild. It is clean underneath and around motor. The problem maybe that is has set outside for the last 3 or 4 years with no start.
They have all sat putside for many years.
Try cranking with only 1 line disconnected from an injector. That is all i ever had to do to bleed air out.

daveiaff

Injector pump tested bad at start RPM, needs new head. I going to look for a remanufactured one. Any ideas where to shop online? It's a 6.5 NA, I see two types for 6.5 The NA's and the Detuned?

tage

find a local heavy diesel shop to rebuild it... shouldn't cost a third of the going price for a new one.
I wouldn't advice rebuilding them yourself. they require some special tools.
I've resealed older German, and Japanese IP's (the seals degraded from low sulfur fuel), but it's a little more involved as I played with the injection quality, and other random stuff to get them running right.

that said surplus heads are available online if you do plan to tackle it yourself to save some $$.

daveiaff

Going to have to call in the experts, or the diesel shop down the street. Still no start after new injection pump, new S3 start box and TSU, new glow plugs, two new batteries and grounding harness. Old db2 injection pump tested bad at start rpm, got a rebuild from Hummer Parts guy, DB2831-5209. Maybe an air in line issue? I have a clear line on return and it shows no air bubbles returning to tank, Took off two rear injection lines and a bit of fuel pulses but not much and not a lot of pressure. Took metal line that feeds an injector off at top of injector pump and no flow. Took off rubber feed line at back of pump and diesel squirted out everywhere. Any suggestions? Not alot of smoke at tail pipe when cranking, got the used glow plug and attached to harness, grounded it and it glows red. I not sure on how to check compression. Thanks Dave

Last edited:

Action

Going to have to call in the experts, or the diesel shop down the street. Still no start after new injection pump, new S3 start box and TSU, new glow plugs, two new batteries and grounding harness. Old db2 injection pump tested bad at start rpm, got a rebuild from Hummer Parts guy, DB2831-5209. Maybe an air in line issue? I have a clear line on return and it shows no air bubbles returning to tank, Took off two rear injection lines and a bit of fuel pulses but not much and not a lot of pressure. Took metal line that feeds an injector off at top of injector pump and no flow. Took off rubber feed line at back of pump and diesel squirted out everywhere. Any suggestions? Not alot of smoke at tail pipe when cranking, got the used glow plug and attached to harness, grounded it and it glows red. I not sure on how to check compression. Thanks Dave
Is the top part of your IP good? Electrical and valve?

BLK HMMWV

I think I remember RWH here on the forum in a different thread mentioning something about having the wires on the IP hooked up correctly.
you might want to double check that or drop him a PM.
Or if your lucky he will see this post and offer a few suggestions.
BH

daveiaff

I think I remember RWH here on the forum in a different thread mentioning something about having the wires on the IP hooked up correctly.
you might want to double check that or drop him a PM.
Or if your lucky he will see this post and offer a few suggestions.
BH[/QUOT

Yes the top electric cut off and idle were rebuilt with injector pump Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks