• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front and rear springs

My truck(1993) rides very high in the rear and a bit low in the front.
are the stock rear springs the same as stock front?
any issues with swapping them(front-rear, rear-front)?
Would toe alignment be significantly changed with the change in ride height?

Thanks for the link!

According to that document, as long as the height from the shop floor to the bottom of the cross member bracket is more than 16" then it is acceptable.
My front measured 17-3/4" and the rear measured 20-3/4"

However, my front tires only have about 10% tread remaining and the rear has 45%.
I guess I'll hold off any action until new tires arrive and I can get a better measurement.
These tires are 37's but the front only measures 34-1/2" to the highest point of tread with pressure set at 35psi.

I'm probably just overreacting because the rear is so high. rear camber is crazy positive even with all shims removed.
Just hit 8k miles and I don't think this truck ever had anything heavier loaded than the radio equipment it has brackets of just about every kind for.

rcamacho

Positive camber was very high on my hmmwv prior to alignment. Front is in spec now, rear is still 1 degree positive with no shims unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

911joeblow

This is a typical issue with these trucks as they were set-up to have a large load in the back. Most guys on the street never need that much load carrying so they end up with positive camber and a drag race look in back.

This is a typical issue with these trucks as they were set-up to have a large load in the back. Most guys on the street never need that much load carrying so they end up with positive camber and a drag race look in back.
Do you know of any problems with fitting rear springs on the front and front on rear?

Would need to see the spring rate, installed height and diameter...

So it's not just that the front springs are more tired from carrying the engine? Front and rear are different springs?
or are the rears just more stretched out before installed?

911joeblow

So it's not just that the front springs are more tired from carrying the engine? Front and rear are different springs?
or are the rears just more stretched out before installed?
They are totally different and NOT compatible.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 12338316-2 is rears on 998 to 1044 and also used on front on M1113 2 man truck.
12338316-1 is fronts on non-heavy armored trucks.

any other ideas on raising ride height about 1/2" - 1" ?

I was originally thinking about adding a 1/2" spacer at top of spring, but the smallest spacer I could make would have to be 1" in order to have enough lip to weld a collar on the inside of the spacer to hold the spring in place.
with a 1/2" spacer I don't think there is enough room for both the collar extension and to have enough room to seat the collar of the top spring mount inside the spacer.

Action

any other ideas on raising ride height about 1/2" - 1" ?

I was originally thinking about adding a 1/2" spacer at top of spring, but the smallest spacer I could make would have to be 1" in order to have enough lip to weld a collar on the inside of the spacer to hold the spring in place.
with a 1/2" spacer I don't think there is enough room for both the collar extension and to have enough room to seat the collar of the top spring mount inside the spacer.
A 1/2" spacer would lift the humvee quire a bit more than 1/2".

rcamacho

Personally prefer to avoid spacers. Suggest addressing with springs that get you the ride height and rate you want. Perhaps look at aftermarket options if the OE options do not meet your needs.

There are some coil over or adjustable sping perch options that give lots of ride height adjustability at the cost of$$$$$

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks