• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 pu Fort Bragg NC, Deliver Roanoke Va (160 miles)

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to get a non running m1078 from Fort Bragg NC to Roanoke Va.

Transport arranged, thank you for all your help

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Need to get a non running m1078 from Fort Bragg NC to Roanoke Va.

Pu next 10 days or so

I would meet you there to facilitate post entry and help with load prep/transport and return

you can pm me
email zr2video@excite.com
Did you verify with felix that it is on base? Pics of your truck could be the Dunn road location off base

Not much to facilitate on entry. Commercial drivers go thru a different gate than a normal car. Typical background check there. They fo not accept twic cards their anymore last I checked to speed it up. Driver does need their insurance card.

As well as pickup days used to be Monday Tuesday and Friday. Unless they are keeping felix on a chain close to home

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you verify with felix that it is on base? Pics of your truck could be the Dunn road location off base
Not much to facilitate on entry. Commercial drivers go thru a different gate than a normal car. Typical background check there. They fo not accept twic cards their anymore last I checked to speed it up. Driver does need their insurance card.
As well as pickup days used to be Monday Tuesday and Friday. Unless they are keeping felix on a chain close to home
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Oh, had no idea, you have a contact for Felix.. FNG here, this being my first successful GP purchase.. Its amazing, I got the EUC back in days.

Unfortunately I only saw the post side of Fort Bragg :(

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, you need to contact Felix and verify what location it is at (there are multiple lots and previously had some off of Ft. Bragg, but were still listed as Bragg). You will probably need to hire a truck, and ensure they are able to get on base. I cannot recover this type of item (non-runner) these days.

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wheelspinner, That's a fact 8-12 Tuesdays only..it is on base.. you a previous 2T

So that will change my request for transportation to next week 7 Aug 18 between 8-12.. I will come down do all the work, brakes caged, drive shaft ect if anyone is interested in helping me with this for some $$

Bikeman, thank you-just hung up with him

Last edited:

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So after speaking with GP and due to the restrictions of being only able to pick up 1 day per week, between 0800 and 1200 (located on Fort Bragg, Pratt St Lot 3), they have stated they will not start charging storage fees after the 8 days. I have a ticket in place with SHIPANYCAR, however, I would prefer to give that $$ to someone here.

So if anyone wants to go on a small adventure either 7 or 14 Aug, and lend me a tow/help with getting this M1078 To Roanoke, let me know.

I also have my GP ITEM release in hand..so its official, it belongs to me.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the organic ability to tow/haul this? I may be willing to help, but if you don't have the equipment it's not going to matter.

You said "SHIPANYCAR" is your mover... do they *KNOW* what you are asking them to haul?

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the organic ability to tow/haul this? I may be willing to help, but if you don't have the equipment it's not going to matter.

You said "SHIPANYCAR" is your mover... do they *KNOW* what you are asking them to haul?
Yes, I have used them previously, and they offered up a MIL discount.. they have all the pertinent data, L X W X H and weight, Make, Model and serial and location and that it is a NON runner

No, wish I did, I was hoping that there might be someone with flat tow/tow bar capability that might want to go on a small adventure either the 7th or the 14th of Aug.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I have used them previously, and they offered up a MIL discount.. they have all the pertinent data, L X W X H and weight, Make, Model and serial and location and that it is a NON runner

No, wish I did, I was hoping that there might be someone with flat tow/tow bar capability that might want to go on a small adventure either the 7th or the 14th of Aug.
you'd need a similar sized vehicle, and flat towing that distance is... well, I know I wouldn't recommend it. Good luck with the pickup. Remember that you need federally recognized ID to get onto base, No firearms, etc...

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bragg to Roanoke is not a long tow. My 923A2 flat towed my old deuce 760 miles from NY to NC. Rarely knew it was there.

IMG_2133.JPG

I have the truck and the tow bar but unfortunately I am completely down with a bad knee injury so I really can't be of much help. I hope someone can. When the truck is prepped properly to be towed it's almost fun.

Rear axle shafts will need to be pulled, front driveshaft disconnected at the front axle and tied up well. Two air connection hoses for brakes and two properly sized safety chains. A tow light set up or vehicle interconnect cable to activate lights. Check that brakes are working and receiving air (uncage the towed truck brakes) and go. (Don't forget to check tire pressures!)

If you hit no major hiccups pulling the front u-joint and making all the hookups you should be on your way in an hour or so. I hope someone is able to help, wish I could. Good luck !

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Soles towing will remove it from base on a landfall trailer and store it till you can arrange shipping. I dont know what they charge these days but it gives your shipper a larger pickup window over the 1 day a week.

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheelspinner, thank you, get well

Simp5782, great suggestion, will give them a call, I really would love the time to be able to get it running and drive it.. and this might give me that opportunity

I will say in my previous life, I have way too many flat tows under my belt (M936 tow M49, M923 tow M936, M49 tow M35, M1079 tow M1078 to name just a few,). like wheelspinner states, its easy once you get everything squared away.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Felix is not loading out next week at bragg so it will be the following week. If you can get soles to get moved off base I can get it when I go pick up a 931 from there we bought. It is off base already so I will have s different pickup day. I can winch it on.

Last edited:

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Felix is not loading out next week at bragg so it will be the following week. If you can get soles to get moved off base I can get it when I go pick up a 931 from there we bought. It is off base already so I will have s different pickup day. I can winch it on.
simp5782, You are correct about Felix, I am calling in the morn to see if Soles can pick up am on the 21st. I will be there as well. I will shoot you a text when I get it confirmed.

Thank you very much for the help

Rich

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1078 from pinnacle to roanoke

Update;

Looking to see if anyone can move a M1078A0 from Pinnacle NC to Roanoke (105 miles) in the coming weeks. I would/could meet you there and help with any loading, asset prep or what ever you need help with. Flat tow is ok if you have a tow bar/airlines. Unit runs/rolls but no drive.

Great opportunity to meet some SS members and help a desperate retired mil, furloughed/unemployed gov employee out.

Again, just checking..you can PM me that would be great.

Last edited:

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My transport fell through again. When it rains it pours. Buddy of mine was going to flat tow it with his M923, but he now has transmission problems.

Anyone up to retrieve this M1078 in the next few weeks from adjacent to Pine Tree Lane, Pinnacle NC and deliver to Roanoke Va. (105 Miles) I can meet you there and help load, prep for transport, ect, ect. Its in a muddy field, with a steep driveway and appears that a low boy cant get up in there to easy.

The SS member has been very forgiving as its been sitting there since he picked it up from Bragg in Aug Been a crazy and sad 6 months.

drop me a PM and if you want a reply to this thread

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ive gotta take Mike a HMMWV sometime in the next week or two i can just carry it up there then. I know where the truck is at so you can just stay at home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks