• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The 77 AMG Saga BEGINS...

77 AMG

:clinto:Hello, all! I have already posted in a couple of threads about my new to me Deuce, so, I thought that I would do a proper intro of it, and me. My Deuce is a bit odd, from what folks here are saying in that it is NOT a 1977 edition, but, something quite a bit older. I will let the pictures speak for themselves, shortly. I found this truck sitting at a somewhat close wood stove and surplus store that I wander into periodically. She had been on display for about 3-4 years, and, finally, I asked about her. I was told that she was finally needing to find somewhere to go, so, being slightly opportunistic, I asked.... $4,500 with good papers, having all ready been titled in Kentucky. SOLD!!!!!!! Now, for some pictures, for those that will enjoy them, including Jamie Boy, who I met in person at said location, on that very day.......

IMG_20180718_101149.jpgIMG_20180731_134434.jpgIMG_20180731_134108.jpgIMG_20180731_135845.jpgIMG_20180718_101104.jpgIMG_20180731_134155.jpgIMG_20180731_134057.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

77 AMG

I got to start it up today for the first time in several years, and, after the initial hit, stutter, die thing, it fired and idled beautifully. oil press was reading just a bit under 60psi at idle, the temp seemed to be taking it's sweet time to come up, never passing 130*, so, I need to check that. No "fresh" leaks while running, but the air system has leaks- no surprise.
Oh, I also got a "Pioneer Tool Kit" and something really COOL!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks pretty good! Do yourself a favor and go through the fuel system: Drain and remove the tank and fill with 10 gallons of E85, haul it around with you in your daily driver for a few days. Then drain, remove the in tank pump, flush with water, scoop/shop vac out the remaining rust, replace the hose in the tank, reassemble, replace the fuel filters, add some fuel conditioner. I'm doing this with two similarly neglected deuces right now, is fresh on my mind.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks pretty good! Do yourself a favor and go through the fuel system: Drain and remove the tank and fill with 10 gallons of E85, haul it around with you in your daily driver for a few days. Then drain, remove the in tank pump, flush with water, scoop/shop vac out the remaining rust, replace the hose in the tank, reassemble, replace the fuel filters, add some fuel conditioner. I'm doing this with two similarly neglected deuces right now, is fresh on my mind.
Deuces don't "need" much, but fuel and air rank right up there! Seriously though, I am continually amazed at the robustness of these engines and actually the entire truck!! What an AMAZING example of mechanical engineering............"takes a licking and keeps on ticking!"

Congrats on the truck and trailer!! ENJOY and let the "knuckle busting" begin! LOL

77 AMG

Thanks for the heads up about the fuel tank having possible issues. I need to reseal the boost pump, so, I will be taking care of the tank internally while I'm there.
Thanks! the 'bustin' has all ready begun. It likes to pinch my left thumb *just* before the hood is all the way down, and the blood blisters are getting annoying. Quick question? Where would the wire that is laying on the frame, heading to the front of the truck go? It is a battery gauge cable that is taped off and just laying there.

Attachments

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your new truck and trailer. Take your time and it will all come together. Take NDT's advice in regard with the fuel system. Fuel in the number 1 area of concern to keep her running right. Once it's running, pay attention the the number 2 issue; brakes...... fuel and brakes are all the truck need to operates safe. (Of course lights, horn, a/c, cruise control, electric windows, ...)
have fun, be safe.
JC

77 AMG

Yeah, brakes are a "MUST DO" item, definitely! I am going to pretty much rebuild the entire system where she is sitting. Between the axleseal drool, air leaks and hardline disconnected from the master cylinder, my Duece isn't going anywhere for awhile. Ah, well, at least she runs well and has clean papers! I am *very* happy that (I believe) it was Peashooter that posted up a list of hardline diameter, lengths and routing.

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick question? Where would the wire that is laying on the frame, heading to the front of the truck go? It is a battery gauge cable that is taped off and just laying there.

IMG_20180731_134323.jpg
That looks to be the right-side of the truck, so I would guess the alternator, which is right above the primary fuel filter (the primary fuel filter is out of focus on the top left side of the picture). I suppose it could have also went to the starter (which is in the top right of that picture) but I don't think you would have gotten it started if the starter wasn't (relatively) properly wired.

From my reading, I believe you can damage/burn up/destroy the alternator if you run the truck without it being properly wired. Don't quote me on that though, but I'd advise against running the truck until you can verify the alternator is correctly wired.

Speaking of wiring, I always strongly suggest to new deuce owners to check the condition of the wiring harness that runs over the inside of the frame rails (both left and right sides) just forward of the cab firewall. It is a common wear point on the wiring harness that'll only wear faster with aged/brittle wire sleeves and can easily cause an electrical fire (both sides of the engine have fuel lines running right by these points and the potential for an uncontrolled fire is there)

See this post and the linked thread in the post:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...ce-this-week&p=1550854&viewfull=1#post1550854

Last edited:

77 AMG

Thank you, Valence. There is what appears to be a missing wire from the top of the alternator, inboard, next to the engine. A bolt hole is empty, next to, and, inline with the wiring that is on the alternator. The hanging wire looks to have been that way for awhile, as the dirt on the tape and the rest of the wire are pretty heavy.
I will also be checking the spots that you mentioned, along with every thing else, as the tail lights do not function at all, with the itch in ANY position, including turn signals. I am all ready looking at replacing the wiring harness on the truck, due to age and abuse.

Last edited:

77 AMG

Yeah, that looks to be in the right place. I need to double check that, as I only have 2 wires attached to the alt housing. You can never have too many grounds on an electrical system. I also found something else odd. (sure, why not, right?) The crossmember that holds the airpac has a brake system hard line that runs over. On my truck, this line also has a "T" fitting in it, with a piece of 1/4 line coming out that heads back over towards the airpac, but is NOT connected to anything. It has been this way for awhile, looking at the crud that is on it. While I was working on the "punch list" the lights are one of things that need attention, so I went back inside the store to ask about 24v bulbs. SCORE!

Attachments

Last edited:

77 AMG

I need to figure out where/ how to mount the "Combat Crockpot". Any ideas, other than "just bolt it to the rear wall of the cab." I need to find/ make a power cable for it as well. It is a double latch style, so, I am thinking it is a fairly new re-design? Manual has a publish date of 2000, Isotherm corp,

Attachments

Last edited:

oboyjohn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That ration heater is a sweet piece of kit. If my memory is correct, they draw a fair amount of amperage, so make sure your wiring is up to the task.

Last edited:

77 AMG

Oh, I am! It draws 15 amps, according to the manual. I tend to overbuild everything that I make, so, the wiring harness should be GTG when I get the pieces together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks