• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modifying the HMMWV Brake Light unit for separate orange indicators - UK Spec

SarahJ

Hi Guys,

To get my HMMWV through the yearly MOT test in England I need to have separate orange indicators, rather than the standard combined brake/indicator unit.

I will be moving the cables that go to the standard rear combined lights and connecting them to the newly fitted orange indicators. That part I'm happy with.

The next bit is to disconnect the wire from the switched part of the brake switch, that normally goes to the indicator unit, and take a new cable from the switched part of the brake switch to the brake lights. Again quite easy.

Finally to my question. Now that I'll be running both brake lights through the brake switch will it be able to cope with the extra current? Before it was just an off/on switch to the indicator unit, now it will be taking approximately 2 Amps. Will the switch be okay taking that much current?

Many thanks,

Sarah

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Thinking it wouldn't be any different than running a trailer. This and a trailer could push the limit.

CAM

papakb

The original brake light switch in the HMMWV was a carryover from the old M151 and wasn't the most robust of switches. Because there's no freeplay travel adjustment on the HMMWV pedal all of the current tends to flow through a very small section of the switch contacts putting excessive wear on them. Just replace your single brake light switch with one of the dual section switches used in the later HMMWVs and your good to go with original AMG equipment. RCSK17810 SWITCH,STOPLIGHT

Dual brake light switch.jpg

Last edited:

dilvoy

That dual light switch is for the A2 Humvees and later models that have the four speed trans. The extra switch is mounted reversed so it is on until the brake pedal is depressed. This is to unlock the torque converter. This switch would need to be modified to work as a dual brake light switch.

SarahJ

Thanks for your help again, I'll add that switch to the list of bits to get when I come over to the States. I have also tried a (21w equiavalent) LED bulb, which directs all the light back, not all around like a normal bulb. It does take far less power, about 4w, and looks as bright as my normal road car. I've also ordered a 24v 5w and 10w LED bulbs to trial in the Tail Light position as well.

owensexport

Run two extra wires from the turn signal harness right below the switch to
the back of the vehicle, use wires #460 and #461.
Connect these wires to a regular amber side marker lamp mounted on the body
right below the rear composite lamps on the body. Instant Yellow turn signals.
amberturnsignal.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks