• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fitting Humvee wheels on M1028

tomcava

I lucky enough to score a set of military Humvee wheels for $300 this week. A friend of mine found them and picked them up.

I'm told I will need dually hubs to run them in the front and 2 inch spacers on the rear.

I can get hubs for $100 from the same gentlemen I bought the truck from, but need a source for spacers.

I'm also planning on a 4 or 6 inch lift but haven't made a decision on this yet.

Would appreciate any and all advice in this matter.

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 5.11.00 PM.jpg

Matt5

Banned
Please do not use ebay garbage spacers, you are going to be paying like $150 PER unit for a decent 2 inch spacer, if you are going to go the ebay route I would just drive the truck into a tree now.

Google for good spacer sellers, I never bought any when I found the cost for a quality unit (I was only trying to use 33x12.5 to *save* money) however I did find a few places making good billet spacers using google.

cucvrus

I have 2 sets of the dually spacers they are Arrowcraft brand. They are steel and very HD. I used them on a pair of plow trucks now I am running single tires. They are in great shape. I will give a great deal on a set of them. I want to sell them in 4 piece sets.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Please do not use ebay garbage spacers, you are going to be paying like $150 PER unit for a decent 2 inch spacer, if you are going to go the ebay route I would just drive the truck into a tree now.

Google for good spacer sellers, I never bought any when I found the cost for a quality unit (I was only trying to use 33x12.5 to *save* money) however I did find a few places making good billet spacers using google.
You can buy good spacers on Ebay if you know what you are looking for. I have bought spacers that you can hang a cucv up in tree from and they wont break, crack, or bend.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chaski

2” spacer is as small as you can go. You can go larger than that, but 2” will tuck the wheels in as far as possible.

The dually hubs are a strong option, but they space it out about 3”, so scrub radius is worse. If you want the most tire clearance possible up front keep your hubs and run 2” spacers.

As far as the spacers go, I agree about using quality steel ones. Stahl out of Nevada will make you a set that are hub-centric with the correct pilot for Hmmwv wheels. Those are what I run on all 4, but they cost more than what you paid for the wheels and tires. I’d also consider running an OEM one like the front dually spacers off an older Ford, or what CUCVRS
has, but I really like the correct pilot size on the Stahl ones since the HMMWV pilot is larger.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...........Stahl out of Nevada will make you a set that are hub-centric with the correct pilot for Hmmwv wheels...
I'm sure you- as well as Stahl - know that the so-called pilot hole in the HMMWV wheel center isn't such. I mean, that hole is round yes, but not necessarily centric to the 8 lug-bolt circle.
I have found them to be off as much as 1/16". That was when I had to enlarge that hole on five of the 24-bolt wheels, to put on a Ford F250.
So for anyone using a spacer (or hub) which barely fits in that hole, better double-check - before blindly tightening down their lug nuts!

Chaski

Nope, never run into that.
I have a couple 12 bolt wheels sitting in the yard, just measured them from all 8 lug holes to the pilot hole. Both wheels were less that .013” (.3mm) runout difference between the pilot and the lugs. My 24 bolt spare was less than .006” (.15mm). Now you have me curious, I want to go look at a HMMWV and see if the wheels are located on a hub.

Today I got to take some pics of a couple different HMMWV hubs. Depending on how many layers of paint I'd say it was somewhere in the .010"-.040" gap. Not saying they are or are not hub centric, but here are some pictures

IMG_5810.jpgIMG_5811.jpg

I'm sure you- as well as Stahl - know that the so-called pilot hole in the HMMWV wheel center isn't such. I mean, that hole is round yes, but not necessarily centric to the 8 lug-bolt circle.
I have found them to be off as much as 1/16". That was when I had to enlarge that hole on five of the 24-bolt wheels, to put on a Ford F250.
So for anyone using a spacer (or hub) which barely fits in that hole, better double-check - before blindly tightening down their lug nuts!

Last edited:

Matt5

Banned
You can buy good spacers on Ebay if you know what you are looking for. I have bought spacers that you can hang a cucv up in tree from and they wont break, crack, or bend.
Great, I said do not use ebay *garbage* you said "ebay" that was your entire reply... ebay is FULL of Chinese garbage, you never said anything about brand, that fact that not all spacers are the same etc...

Most people are going to go on ebay and not buy the hard to find $200+ per wheel spacer, they are going to get the $50 per wheel ones... then the wheel is going to fall off...

I run a garbage Chinese spacer, HOWEVER its just a spacer, I still use my lugs, worse case it breaks, falls out and the wheel wobbles bad but stays on the truck. It is also like 3/8 inch...

Someone else I know totally redid a blazer, had like idk 38's 40's? Something... with *SPACERS* that were on the shop floor (cheeped out)... and guess whose rear spacer broke and ripped the side of the truck off when the well fell off?

*QUALITY* spacers or like I said just drive it into a tree now rather than maybe killing someone else when the thing breaks.

tomcava

Can you send me a link?

Great, I said do not use ebay *garbage* you said "ebay" that was your entire reply... ebay is FULL of Chinese garbage, you never said anything about brand, that fact that not all spacers are the same etc...

Most people are going to go on ebay and not buy the hard to find $200+ per wheel spacer, they are going to get the $50 per wheel ones... then the wheel is going to fall off...

I run a garbage Chinese spacer, HOWEVER its just a spacer, I still use my lugs, worse case it breaks, falls out and the wheel wobbles bad but stays on the truck. It is also like 3/8 inch...

Someone else I know totally redid a blazer, had like idk 38's 40's? Something... with *SPACERS* that were on the shop floor (cheeped out)... and guess whose rear spacer broke and ripped the side of the truck off when the well fell off?

*QUALITY* spacers or like I said just drive it into a tree now rather than maybe killing someone else when the thing breaks.

stevenbeven

I purchased the Stahl whee spacers and waiting for them to arrive this week. It will take about a month from ordering to delivery as they are about 15 days out on manufacturing these. Their spacers are “Hub Centric” which is what you want for safety. This is how an OEM spacer is built as I understand it. These spacers are not cheap but if you’re looking to just keep the tires that are on your rims and go the easiest route it should be considered. You’ll have a lot of rotating mass with those wheels and the steel spacers through and likely this will affect your power and stopping.

Another alternative is to go through Trailworthy Fab and let them “recenter” some wheels for you. This would eliminate the need for spacers all together and would likely cost the same that the Stahl or others would cost. I bought some hitchenson pvc headlocks and hmmvw refresh kit and got it delivered within a few days. So this could be the safer, faster, and more cost effective route. Will require elbow grease to separate current wheels though. They may be able to just sell the inner recentered wheel that way you don’t have to pull the run flat out just separate the inner wheel and stick the new one back in from Trailworthy Fab? I’m sure someone else can chime in if there is an issue with any of this though!

The hutchenson pvc are much lighter though than the traditional run flat. Also, if using runflats from military you’re advised to NOT run low psi because the run flat will tear up the inner tire. They are meant for bullets shooting out tire and to limp back to base and get replaced when little or no air in tire.

Just my 2 pennies..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glockfan

I have a lot of experience with this situation. Please accept this guy's advice and DON'T DO IT! I wasted my money on a set of eBay spacers and I am lucky to be alive. If you want to run HMMWV wheels on your truck, do this, get with Lenny Stahl (Stahl Steel) and have him make you a set of hub centric / lug centric spacers for the rear of your truck. I had him make a set of 2" spacers for my converted M1031 and they are flawless. Expensive but flawless. I chose to go with dually hubs on the front of my truck for safety reasons alone. The wms to wms measurement may be slightly wider than the rear but the setup is rock solid. Finding dually hubs is fairly easy. Lots of folks want to switch over from dually to SRW hubs.

Initially, I put cheap Chinese 3" spacers on my truck and literally lost a wheel in a parking lot. One stud sheared off and the brake drum hit the ground. Thankfully, I was backing out of a parking space and not driving at any speed when I completely lost a tire! Don't make the same dumb mistake I did. TRUST ME and trust Matt5. Buy once, cry once. Do it right.

The back is self explanatory. Here is a pic of my front hub that will not be going anywhere with a HMMWV wheel bolted to it.

5C357A5E-2C9F-4678-83AD-FEA2B3FC368D.jpgIMG_3375.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks