• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HH removal issues

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read all of the threads on removing the HH but can’t for the life of me get it to come out. The red mark is positioned right under the arrow but it won’t lift out. Does anyone have any tricks or advice?
Also of great importance. Where can I get a new pin that goes on the fuel shut off? When I removed it the pin was missing.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sometimes ive found that the head won't come out till the arrow is lined up with the valley of the gear. Try wiggling the head so the marks are lined up a little left or right of the scored tooth. Once the head is out, you'll be able to get that peg back out.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You looked into the hole for the fuel control and the pin is not there? Sometimes buy turning the crank shaft just a tad one way or the other while some else pulls up on the head easy will get the cut out washer on the quill shaft gear lined up better. Can I ask you this did you rotate the engine / crankshaft the same way as when she is running and never backed up because you missed the pointer mark. From the rear that would be counter clockwise. I like using the jack shaft and transfer case in neutral trans in fifth. As Chris said before when the pointer get close switch to third gear on the trans and the head gear will spin slower or not move so fast. Also if everything is good a light tap with a plastic hammer on the head.

Last edited:

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am lining up everything using the jack shaft, but my arms are not long enough to turn it and pull the head....ie no soldier 2. I believe I can see the pin, but not real sure, it’s a deep color of red in there.
I will try moving it to the valley of the gear and wiggle some more. Based on the condition of the injector lines I think 55 years of bad fuel and rust just has everything gummed up.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea sometimes the cut out on the quill shaft is just a hair off so as said just a half tooth one way or the other. Really helps to have a helper when there is a problem. You don't want to bend the cut washer on the quill shaft. If you don't have a wife or girlfriend you can rent them for one hour.
If you decide to rent one look for one that says True GFE. Tell her the last girlfriend was not afraid to get dirty.

Last edited:

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got the wife to come out and help. My mistake was not taking out the bolt that goes in the back of the pump to plug the old style oiler on the Injection pumps. The new HH doesn’t have a hole here so do I just plug that hole or just leave it alone.
Now I just need two new injector lines as mine were rusted and seized up. Number 1 and 3.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I am reading you right the old head and IP pump housing had the head oil passage. As per TM when installing a Head into the IP pump housing that does not have the oil passage then the port in the IP housing must be blocked off using some kit. I have never seen that style IP but according to the TM it should be a filter type of bolt looking thing. Would you have a pic of it?

Attachments

Last edited:

searls84

I finally got the wife to come out and help. My mistake was not taking out the bolt that goes in the back of the pump to plug the old style oiler on the Injection pumps. The new HH doesn’t have a hole here so do I just plug that hole or just leave it alone.
Now I just need two new injector lines as mine were rusted and seized up. Number 1 and 3.
I’ve got the #1 injector line if you want it. Just give me a buz.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks