• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modifying a M101A3 axle to electric brakes

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello fellas,

I'm going to attempt to document what I went through to convert a M101A3 to electric brakes, but first some backround. I started with a M101A2 body on a A3 axle and wanted to tow it behind my FJ55 Landcruiser that had a narrower axle than the A3 and I wanted to tuck the tires under the fenders ( pictures to follow ). I shortened the axle @ 4 1/2" on each side which worked great. Next I bought some electric brakes with parking brake from Etrailer, mounted them and everything looked good. Problem is the Dexter brakes/axles use a different outer bearing than the M101, inner bearing is the same, so I couldn't use the Dexter drum/hub on the M101 axle. The problem with using the electric brake with the M101 hub is there isn't enough contact for the magnet to work. Here's what I'm talking about. You can see the magnet has very little contact with the hub.

Attachments

Last edited:

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The magnet now has a large flat surface to grab and everything is good. Here's some other mods I did to the tongue, getting rid of the tilting feature in the process. You can see the tires are tucked up under the body and I still have the A3 axle bump for good ground clearance.

Attachments

jltdvm

I'm doing this same thing to my trailer. How much did you have machined off the back of the hub? What is the diameter of the plate you made?
Thanks for any input. I do not have the ability to machine the hub so I am taking it to a machine shop. Just want to be able to tell them. Once again this is awesome and thank you.

Last edited:

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plate is 1/4" and I'm not sure how much we removed from the hub. I would take just enough for a good flat area.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, it's not handy for me to measure right now, but if you look at the above picture it's not much bigger than the dia. of the hub.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just add a hydraulic brake actuator that works with an electric brake controller? Just curious.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks