• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dashboard disassembly schematics?

CivilEGR

This M1008 I picked up is so full of mouse poop that I'm convinced I'm going to need to completely gut the cab to clean it out. Does anyone have good diagrams or step-by-step instructions for this process?

cucvrus

Be careful and take it apart slowly. Use your camera to take pictures as you disassemble. There is not much to it really. Take the cluster cover screws out first. Slow and steady will get it done. But like I said it is simple and old brittle plastic. So be careful.

MarcusOReallyus

Yeah, that hantavirus is nasty stuff. Please read that link. Take it seriously, because it is serious.

Use lots of spray cleaner - enough to soak soak soak all the poop so there is no chance of dust. Wear disposable gloves, too.

Matt5

Banned
Pressure wash for what... just slinging crap all over and in the air?

I had a vehicle so bad it sucked to sit in and move...

Took apart the entire cab, steam cleaned the small parts (dash cluster, steering wheel, etc) hose washed the inside, used (not at the same time) simple green, purple power, orange cleaner, glass cleaner w/ amonina (I was trying to get stuff to sanitize that was not like bleach and deodorize that was also cheap the orange cleaner and glass cleaner.... dollar store) and a scrub sponge. I also steamed (what was doable) smaller areas in the the cab (areas hard to scrub mostly what would be behind the dash) to everyone's amazement when I was done. Truck has 0 smell. It took alot of time, *alot*. I also used simple green in the steam cleaner... YMMV. Truck was bad was sitting on a farm, used a tire brush to wash the MOSS off the truck...

For what you asked, nothing is really in the cab... the dash bezel has screws you can see, the gauge cluster is a bitch you need to d/c the spedo cable while it's in... and the dash is clips / screws. That's pretty much the entire inside... just take stuff apart slow and as said, remember its 35 year old plastics... be gentle. Oh seat is 4 bolts...

CivilEGR

Pressure wash for what... just slinging crap all over and in the air?

I had a vehicle so bad it sucked to sit in and move...

Took apart the entire cab, steam cleaned the small parts (dash cluster, steering wheel, etc) hose washed the inside, used (not at the same time) simple green, purple power, orange cleaner, glass cleaner w/ amonina (I was trying to get stuff to sanitize that was not like bleach and deodorize that was also cheap the orange cleaner and glass cleaner.... dollar store) and a scrub sponge. I also steamed (what was doable) smaller areas in the the cab (areas hard to scrub mostly what would be behind the dash) to everyone's amazement when I was done. Truck has 0 smell. It took alot of time, *alot*. I also used simple green in the steam cleaner... YMMV. Truck was bad was sitting on a farm, used a tire brush to wash the MOSS off the truck...

For what you asked, nothing is really in the cab... the dash bezel has screws you can see, the gauge cluster is a bitch you need to d/c the spedo cable while it's in... and the dash is clips / screws. That's pretty much the entire inside... just take stuff apart slow and as said, remember its 35 year old plastics... be gentle. Oh seat is 4 bolts...
It sounds like we share the same truck. Moss on the side, truck full of mice sitting in a field.

Matt5

Banned
Ya not to pull off your thread but, my method worked for this... and it was worse than it looked... on the bezel you can see the mouse death on the cardboard... it was hours of cleaning and cleaning and cleaning...
IMG_20131028_135548.jpgIMG_20131028_151246.jpgIMG_20131102_194546.jpgIMG_20131102_202257.jpgIMG_20131122_215917.jpg

CivilEGR

My moss isn't as bad as yours. I'm considering using an orbital sander to get rid of it, then paint the whole truck. Looking at your under seat area, makes me wonder. Mine was much fuller of crap. I'm almost afraid to get into that dashboard now.

Matt5

Banned
That may or may not have been after using the vac, not sure. Think it was after using the shop vac... I got lucky guy I know picked up a little steam cleaner at a yard sale, loaned it to me, I later bought it from him for that $10... after using one. I mean it was winter so, if it was warm out I guess you could use a hose, but for the gauges, I steamed them and they worked fine...

When we got it started lol... the mouse nests out the exhaust... was lol.

If you have CARC, keep in mind the "by the book" way to sand it is full PPE and pressurized breathing mask. Someone will say "YOU DON'T NEED TO DO THAT" okay... that is by the book iirc, so, you may want at least a full respirator, and a good shower after sanding...

nyoffroad

Matt5;2150014If you have CARC said:
Your right, "
YOU DON'T NEED TO DO THAT" paint stripper will take it right off. Just spray, cover with plastic and wait awhile, then use a plastic body filler spreader or putty knife and scrape, then using GOOD chemical resistant gloves use paint thinner and steel wool to finish stripping, the pressure wash.

cucvrus

I have sanded it hundreds of times and wear a particle mask. I work at an assembly plant we weld galvanized and everything else under the sun. We all wear PPE as needed. But I think everything is over warned on the labels because of liability. One paint is as bad as the rest. they still haven't come up with safe cigarettes and tobacco products. Still sell them and people flock to buy it. I think in a well ventilated area and a particulate mask as is well. I am green at times when I come out of my shop. A shower and clean as new. No other bad habits so I feel fine and keep busy at all times. Well lunch is over time to get back at several tasks I started today. Have a Great Day. Sand them outside on a nice day and prime and paint with the doors open. It's camouflage paint it don't matter as long as the surface is prepped properly. Wear a filter mask during painting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks