• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HIGH SPEED GEAR SWAP With Photos, 1995 A-0

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3.07 GEAR SWAP With Photos, 1995 A-0

I am creating this post with the hope that my experience may be of help to the next member planning on doing this operation.

Before I begin, please do not reply asking 'where did you get your gears?'. I can tell you up front, that I have had these for a while. I also pinkie-swore I would not reveal where they came from to prevent this individual from having his e-mail box blow up.

I realize this is a hit topic currently on this very forum, and please don't think I am being a jerk. Sadly, it appears that for the time being the supply of 3.07 gears has evaporated. Going forward we can only hope that the US Powers-that-be will remove these part numbers from the 'Don't sell to Joe Citizen list'. Seriously, they are selling these to civilians. Are they not worried we'll drive them to another country and sell this advanced technology to the commies? :roll: With that said, please enjoy.

As stated, I have been sitting on these bits for a while. After returning from OE-18 (documented elsewhere), I became deeply involved in a house remodel. Another word for this is H**l. Being that there are NO contractors available in Northwestern Nevada, we were forced to do much of the work ourselves. Heaven forbid, and bite my tongue, the place catches fire. Now that we are at 95$%$ completed, its time to focus on Thor.

With Pointwife (Yes, I miss you sweetie..) out of town for a week or so, I was up at 0500 go make enough coffee necessary to jump start My engine.

Job #1 is remove the front wheels.

Tire Removal.jpg
The little tool laying the ground is a torque multiplier and is mostly sold to RV owners. I consider it a necessity to loosen the lug nuts on these beasts. (This is a 'hint')

Once done, you have this.

Wheels off.jpg

Now, the TM says 'have an assistant' to remove the brake drum. This is most likely so that you have someone to call for help when it lands on your foot. (Did I say this project is not a one man job..?)

Barring any Brake Drum incidents you get to this.

Brakes.jpg

This shows the end of the driveshaft poking out of the stub axle. Got a large impact wrench? Good, you will need that and a long breaker bar. (Notice these photos are all from the left side? I tried to keep in the shade. The sun was coming up and it eventually would hit 91F today.)

Oh, before I get ahead of myself... When removing the CTIS bolt from the right side wheel, I found this..

CTIS oil.jpg

It came out covered in GL-4, so the CTIS seal is toast. Its getting replaced anyway so no worries.

After removing the hub cover, I noticed this.. A lot of this.

RTV swarf.jpg

The little balls of goo are bits of Red RTV left from the last repair. The were munched onto globs by the spider gears and were plentiful.
Who ever worked on this previously must have owned stock in 3-M, or whoever produced this particular product. I guess they thought if a little was good...

Now we get to what I fondly call the 'Spiders Nest'.

Spider Nest.jpg

After getting all the bits and bobs laid out, you'll end up with this.

Gears and bits.jpg

A close visual inspection of everything showed tons of RTV sealant everywhere. Please, don't be that guy. Jeez...

And finally for this entry, we get to this..

Axle out.jpg

This is 'dangly axle' and it is a good place to get to in this operation. Slightly pull these out and Mr. Pumpkin will pop right out. Or at least that is what I was told.

I must honestly say that before beginning this, I had read all the TM's. Printed them out and made a cute little binder. Read and re-read. Although it has been helpful, I have found 'irregularities'.
Nowhere was it mentioned that you had to disconnect the CTIS hoses from the housing between the steering knuckle and the stub axle for one. Its pretty obvious once you get the brake backing plate off though.
Also the parts manual describes the half-shafts as being 'dry'? I took that to mean is was sealed and not able to be lubricated. Once visible mine obviously have zerk fittings on them.

Late this afternoon, I picked up a transmission jack from my local Ahern. Tomorrow the pumpkins get pulled, and we'll see how that goes.

Super Mega thanks to my friend from work, Mark Smith for his valuable assistance today and also for helping me kill a couple of cold beers after we were mostly done. Mark is an avid off-roader and drives a sweet round-eyed Ford Bronco rock crawler, thanks buddy!

Pointman

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple hints: It is good practice to keep the parts on each hub together as a set. Also, if your hubs were nice and quiet, and you don't feel like doing a lash clearance set up on your spider gears, note the clocking of the wheel bearing nut's dowel pin, and put it back in the same spot going back together.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I did have the presence of mind to keep the sides separate.

I had planned on checking the clearance anyway, but will the note the tip for the future, thanks!

I also noticed some washers were missing in the spider gear set, per the parts manual. I will take my time putting it all back together.

Main concern is getting the pumpkins swapped and getting this ridiculously heavy trans jack back to the rental yard ASAP, whew!

Pointman

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting the front axle shafts back in the center section, for me was the most head scratching part. I also put a locker in the rear that led to additional head aches

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine will be the complete front axle I have. Brand new and set up with 3:07, the rear chunk with locker should be a walk in the park as the locker is already set up in the gear set. As the OP also said, I've had these for awhile so my supply point really doesn't matter.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
NDT seems to have the same habit as I. I go so far as making the washers, nuts, any assembly go back together the same as it came apart. The other issue that happens is that once something has been taken apart you take it on Faith that person put it back together properly, with all the parts.

After either a field repair or depot maintenance, two different situations, two different approaches. Field you get together for function, under depot is to repair or maintenance schedule with all repair tools, materials, parts on hand.

That is why I will check book information for clearances, or if by my own experience with wear pattern, use of equipment, parts breakage on axle, trans, engine, whatever repair is being done that person may know for endurance may stray from the "Book". And I am almost sure that happens more often then not.

Thanks for the insight into your upgrade and also any assembly anomalies that may trip someone up and save some heartache later. Maybe Oshkosh or another producer would make them or are but product liability is holding them back. To bad

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Setting the hub gear lash can be a pain, thanks to Steve6x6x6 he showed us how to make a tool to simplify and remove guess work. Really all it does is hold the spider in place while you check lash 21C6AAD0-9939-4505-BF9B-53800532978A.jpg

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting the front axle shafts back in the center section, for me was the most head scratching part. I also put a locker in the rear that led to additional head aches
I'd be curious to hear about your locker issues. Brand and type? What were the issues?

I had a Detroit Locker installed in the rear gear set before I received them. I ran one before in a Range Rover Classic and had no problems.

Pointmani

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Detroit locker. The fun is that you can’t lift one side and rotate the hub without also having the other side jacked off the ground. So when Changing tires you have to rotate the tire to match ctis fit, rather than simply rotate the hub a little. Adds a bit of frustration at times. But also no longer get stuck like you do with open diffs.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulling front axle seals?

Here is a question for the collective. There is a 'seal, plain encased', a 'bearing washer, thru', and 'bushing, sleeve' as described in TM-9-2320-336-24P, page 132-1. These are at each end of the front axle housing.

What would be the best way to R&R these, and what have members actually done with success. I am so far into this now, I'm wondering if these should be replaced, or are they durable enough to be left alone and reused?

Would love some opinions on this before moving forward. Thanks in advance.

Pointman

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sunday, Sunday!

Continuing the photo and write up, Sunday began again at 5:00. No helpers today, I am flying solo.

Job #1 is to move the steering tie rod out of the way.

Tie Rod.jpg

A bit of heat from my torch and a light tap, and it was off and now supported by a floor jack on the drivers side of the truck.

Time to crack the crate and see just what may be hiding inside. So, with the box opened this is what all the fuss is about. One with locker and one without. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered they were the wrong color. Oh, the humanity..;)

Xmas.jpg

Somewhere, there is a child wondering where their 'scary' t-shirt went to. It went here... At least the supplier has a sense of humor

Scary.jpg

Having already pulled all the axles, it was time to get out the current old, and put in the new different old...

Rear axle pull.jpg
Having the trans jack was instrumental in pulling this off and I quickly found that these fit fairly tight in the housing and only go in one way... straight. Here is the replacement all trussed up and strapped down to the jack.

trussed up 2.jpg

I made a little wooden bit to keep it from rotating on the trans jack.

V Block.jpg

The adjustable platform on the jack was very handy. Once the pumpkin was tied down I placed a torpedo level on the face and adjusted the plate vertically level. This made installation fairly easy. Or at least as easy as moving a 155+lb. chunk would be this day.

By the late afternoon I had both in, and was ready for a break.. Whew!

rear in.jpg

Tonight I plan to go through my parts stock and make sure I have sent enough money to Meritor and that I have all the parts needed. Next up, spindle setup!

Pointman

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

Detroit locker. The fun is that you can’t lift one side and rotate the hub without also having the other side jacked off the ground. So when Changing tires you have to rotate the tire to match ctis fit, rather than simply rotate the hub a little. Adds a bit of frustration at times. But also no longer get stuck like you do with open diffs.
ahhh.. so for changing rear tires w/locker we need to jack truck up little higher and use a home brewed cradle the tire sits in with rollers (skateboard wheels?) within it to allow us to spin the tire to match ctis bolt. hmmm... much thanks.... will keep in mind

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ahhh.. so for changing rear tires w/locker we need to jack truck up little higher and use a home brewed cradle the tire sits in with rollers (skateboard wheels?) within it to allow us to spin the tire to match ctis bolt. hmmm... much thanks.... will keep in mind

i just roll the tire around and get it close. Then with a pry bar and a block of wood can rotate it the rest. Everyone will have to figure out their own system, as you will need to be able to do it in the field. I bet with the pipe levers to the studs method would also help line it all up.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Setting the hub gear lash can be a pain, thanks to Steve6x6x6 he showed us how to make a tool to simplify and remove guess work. Really all it does is hold the spider in place while you check lash View attachment 737066
And have someone loan you one. Did you say you were missing some washers? I have a complete used hub gear set with everything but the hub thrust washer. I was starting to get worried that I would have to take a road trip but I see you are getting it done. Good job.

Last edited:

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Project Status: On hold, pending parts arrival from Meritor.

I decided to change out the seals at the ends of the front axle, just in case...

I did get the drive shafts re-connected, so once the parts arrive we'll get back at it in earnest.

Pointman

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks