• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Checking wheels for defects

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I'm rummaging around at Fuzzy's place and there in his scrap pile (hint) was a WWII half track combat rim with 75 year old non directional tire still mounted. I'm thinking, oh, people need these for half tracks, better save it. So I look it over, drag it out, load it in my little truck (200+ lbs), get it home, dismount the old tire, recycle it, and inspect the rim for defects. Wallowed out lug holes? Nope. Bent up rim edges? Nope. Severe pitting? Nope. Wobble when rotating? Nope. Must be a good rim. Blast it and well what have we here???? Crap.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you removed the rubber you could have done a "ring test".

Just like the CRACKED Liberty Bell, your hard-earned rim should have tapped with a hammer and it would have "rung" if not cracked, but the crack would have muffled the ringtone into a dull thud.

Although this is not a perfect test, it "rings true" most of the time.

Thanks for posting this up. It's a good topic that many need an education in.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
75 year old combat rim and tire for M3, combat damage from Battle of the Bulge. I would think that happens a lot plowing the front end in any direction. The rim is still good for maybe a welded spare, drill a hole to stop crack and grind and weld. Do not know how scarce they are but I bet you cant buy a new one. Pretty cool just to find.

There has to be a way to repurpose it. Was the tire worth saving? Shucks I wished you lived closer.

someoldmoose

Now THAT woulda made a cool lamp for the Man-cave. Deflate the tire ( if it still had pressure ), mount a defunct M1 Garand upright and put a Steel Pot on top for a lamp shade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks