• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear hub hot after replacing and repack all wheel bearings and seals

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished replacing all new rear axle seals, repacking the bearings, and cleaning up all the old grease. I replaced the cork piece which was not present when disassembling. I retorque to proper specs. After test driving the truck for about 45 mins, when stopping at the house that hub is the hottest Hub on the truck. There is no leaks after driving. What would cause the hub to be so hot. It's not so hot that it burns you but hot enough that I don't want my hand on it for long.

Mind you we live in the mountains and we use alot of braking. Could the brakes be causing the heat?

All the bearings were in good shape when we repacked them. Any help would be appreciated.

sandcobra164

Please spell out the proper procedure. I have a friend spin the drum while I torque the 3" inner nut to 50 ft lbs. I then back off the inner nut 1/2 a turn, install the lockwasher and torque the outer to 150 lbs as outlined in the manual. I tend to go a little on the loose side for bearings as they need a little room to expand when things heat up. Bearings that are too tight will run hot.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could the brakes be causing the heat?
Not likely, if the brake drum itself doesn't feel that hot.

First double-check your spindle bearings for correct adjustment. Then do another 20' test drive. If that hub is still hotter than the other three then I would suspect the (outer) oil seal to be causing this.

You might want to do some reading, here...

Motorcar

If that hub is still hotter than the other three then I would suspect the (outer) oil seal to be causing this.
Mine did as well after installing several new ones from Erik's. I knew I had set the bearings correctly, after some time of driving they eventually broke in and now run the same temp as the others.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine did as well after installing several new ones from Erik's. I knew I had set the bearings correctly, after some time of driving they eventually broke in and now run the same temp as the others.
Motorcar, I hope I can speak for you as well by saying we certainly don't fault Erik's... He just sells what's available to him, and I believe he's been a great help to many.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why not invest in a touchless thermometer so you know what your dealing with. I was told as long as you can touch it w/o getting burned, you gtg. Yes it very well could be the brakes, but if you didnt change anything with them, its probably not the cause.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks