• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duramax engine swap

Sparo2

Good morning everyone. I’m about to start on a Duramax engine swap. I just purchased an LLY with a Allison trans/transfer case. The first thing I wanna do is get the engine installed. My question is… Cant I just use the motor/trans mounting hardware from a Hummer H1 duramax? It should be the same right? I know H-line conversions sells a mounting kit for $1300 But if I can find a cheaper solution then all the better.

Does anyone know the differences in Mountain hardware between the hummer H1 Duramax and the hummer H1 6.5?

Sparo2

Yes I know about the body lift being needed to clear the Duramax. What I wanna know is what is the difference in the mounting hardware other than the motor mounts. Is the crossmember different?

dilvoy

The alphas had a special low profile oil pan and pick up for the engne as well as a specialally positioned inlet for the water pump amng other differences.

im looking into doing a Duramax swap also. This is what i have found out so far new motor mounts, new transfer case crossmember, 2.5 inch body lift, longer fuel tank straps, trans and transfercase linkages, lower steering shaft boot needs to be lowered and then wiring. there is an play list of a hmmwv Duramax swap on youtube, look up johnny magic hummer
Please make a build thread!!!

Sparo2

Thanks everyone for your input.
I think I’m going to go with the Timmans kit. The thing about the special oil pan...I didn’t know that.
I’m going to document the entire build process and once it’s done I’ll post it. It’s going to take some times because I work real long hours and I hardly have time to work on it.

Sparo2

Quick update: 8/23/2018
I removed the old engine/trans/TC.
I just bought a 2005 Duramax with a 5spd Allison trans and TC.

I putting aside all the parts that I’m going to be selling; radiator, smart start, both driveshafts, trans, 242NP TC, etc etc.

I’m currently making a list of all the parts I’m going to need. I’m also considering rebuilding the engine...just for added insurance.

Im trying to document everything as best as I can with video and notes.

PS: if anyone is interested in some of the old parts just send me
a PM.

Sparo2

Quick question guys...
I was thinking of reusing the original radiator. I know H-line conversions uses a replacement radiator but it looks similar in size. Is it just because to put in a aluminum version? I was also thinking of reusing the original trans cooler. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Action

Quick question guys...
I was thinking of reusing the original radiator. I know H-line conversions uses a replacement radiator but it looks similar in size. Is it just because to put in a aluminum version? I was also thinking of reusing the original trans cooler. What are your thoughts on this?

Did you calll h-line and ask ?

Last edited:

Sparo2

Did you calll h-line and ask ?
No I have not. I have never dealt with them but I would figure they would tell me whatever they had to to try and sell me their product. I was hoping I could get some input from someone who has already been down this road.

Update: The original radiator can be used 👍🏼

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rad struggles to cool a 6.5. A duramax would overwhelm it easy. Although H-line is about the same size, you can bet it has more fins per inch. Also being Alium it will transfer heat far better.

Sparo2

I think I’m going to give the OEM radiator a shot and see how well it does. I can always swap it out later

As as for the drivetrain upgrades... I will be updating the shafts to the 12.3K versions. As for the diffs I am going to leave them in place to see how much they can handle.

KenaAuto

In AZ, the factory set up runs hot in the hills. I've been trying to convince my doctor to convert his to an aluminum version so he can enjoy it more...of course, this is a civy H1, turboed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sparo2

I remember reading somewhere that someone had used two pusher fans in conjunction with the OEM set up and it worked great. I was thinking of trying that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks