• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duramax engine swap

Sparo2

Yup. That was the one. Obviously I am not going to overpay seeing how I am so cheap. LOL. I’m just going to find the slimmest fans that put out the most CFM of air. I can just wire it to a temperature sensor to turn on at a pre-set temperature. I’m sure it will still come out to be way cheaper than buying the aluminum radiator.

daveiaff

I'm in the process of getting mine running with 6.5 and titling for on road. Interested in duramax conversion also. Headed to Sema this year and Hline conversions has a build for SEMA 18, I will talk to him in Vegas.

tage

Yup. That was the one. Obviously I am not going to overpay seeing how I am so cheap. LOL. I’m just going to find the slimmest fans that put out the most CFM of air. I can just wire it to a temperature sensor to turn on at a pre-set temperature. I’m sure it will still come out to be way cheaper than buying the aluminum radiator.
the problem you're going to run into is that it's way cheaper using a mechanical fan (belt driven) then electric. The price for the CFM on the electric units sky rocket just to get to the stock CFM a belt driven fan puts out.... I would use the the stock dirtymax fan that came with the engine, and try to modify the radiator stack (Tig baby Tig).

Sparo2

I wasn’t considering replacing the mechanical fan. I was just thinking about adding an electric fan for added cooling. I know the pre-2006 Duramax trucks were plagued with overheating issues. Into 2006 GM went with a bigger radiator and a bigger fan. This seems to have solved the issue.

Sparo2

I wouldn’t think so. Especially after you factor in the reatriction that the air has to go through just to get passed the radiator, intercooler and tranny cooler.

tage

Oh some sort of pusher set up.
I thought you were going all electrical, and questioning why. Hah

I think the principal is some air flow is better then no air flow in the pusher set ups. They do work though. There's examples out there.... Not really reinventing the wheel sorta speak.

Sparo2

True. I’ll see what I come up with. I will eventually replace the radiator with an aluminum version but for the time being I will put the money where it’s needed most right now (getting the engine running)

Sparo2

Update:

Sorry guys for not posting any updates. I’ve been working on my house since last year to get it ready to sell. Unfortunately he left me no time to work on the Humvee. However, I am happy to report that I bought the tin man conversion brackets for the engine and transmission. The Duramax bolted up with no issues. I am in the process right now of Lauren the body back onto the frame but I have a question. However, I am happy to report that I bought the tin man conversion brackets for the engine and transmission. The Duramax bolted up with no issues. I am in the process right now of Lauren the body back onto the frame but I have a question. The Tinman kit calls for a 2.5” body lift. I making my own body lift out of hockey pucks. The problem is that they are exactly 1 inch thick and do not come in any other sizes. I was thinking of just going with a 3 inch body lift. Does anyone know if the steering shaft will still bolt up to the steering box?

springer1981

FYI, hockey pucks don't hold up well over time. The hard rubber they are made out of tend to dry up and crack. If you are going through the trouble to put a Duramax in why skimp out on the body lift?

Sparo2

I know a guy who used hockey pucks on his Humvee 6 years ago and he recently took the body off. He said the bushings looked fine and didn’t show any signs of wear. I guess I’ll find out.

springer1981

I too have used hockey pucks for body lifts in the past. What I learned is hockey pucks are made from hard brittle rubber that dry rots quickly, doesn't hold up to automotive oils and crack from pressure. They also have no flex, might as well use aluminum pucks.
DSC_2373.JPG

Good Luck

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never had any interest in a 998 but the idea of having a DMax in one would certainly be appealing!

nattieleather

Wouldn't poly bushing be better than hockey pucks? I would think HPs would give you a stiff ridged ride. Oh and yeah...we need pics or it isn't happening...LOL.

Sparo2

It wouldn’t be any more uncomfortable than the factory ride quality seeing how I’m still retaining the factory bushings. But as far as using polyurethane bushings… I won’t be doing that. I have use polyurethane bushings from energy suspension on my avalanche and dad thing started squeaking three months after installation. And I use a lot
Of grease.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I’m going to give the OEM radiator a shot and see how well it does. I can always swap it out later

As as for the drivetrain upgrades... I will be updating the shafts to the 12.3K versions. As for the diffs I am going to leave them in place to see how much they can handle.
Bad choice to leave stock rad, as I'm told Duramax needs larger rad or it will overheat and get damaged. By then, "you can't swap it out later". Killing a 5-8K engine to save a few bucks on a rad seems penny wise and pound foolish.

Upgrade to 12k axles? Why? You off-roading or pulling semi-trailers?

springer1981

Bad choice to leave stock rad, as I'm told Duramax needs larger rad or it will overheat and get damaged. By then, "you can't swap it out later". Killing a 5-8K engine to save a few bucks on a rad seems penny wise and pound foolish.
The Duramax has Aluminum heads, the last thing you want to do it overheat it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks